Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2015, 02:05 PM   #1
Minami
Junior

New guy looking for some help

Good afternoon,
I have been trolling around this forum for a few weeks now trying to soaking up as much information as possible. I’m looking to get into this style of fishing and I was wondering what would be the best and cost effective tandem kayak. So far I have been looking into the Malibu Pro 2 tandem and Ocean Kayak Malibu Two XL Angler Kayak. Any other suggestions?

A little about me, I live in Ventura County and I have been fishing since I was a kid, average fisherman who loves the sport. I have limited kayaking experience (rookie), but eager to learn. I decided to get into this style of fishing because I hate shelling out hard earned money to stand shoulder to shoulder while getting my line tangled up on ocean charters. I have chosen to get a tandem because my better half may occasionally want to go fishing and/or kayaking.
I will take any suggestions information on equipment, progressions, techniques and launching and fishing areas.
Thanks,
Jimi
Minami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:16 PM   #2
dsutter775
Malibu X Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minami View Post
Good afternoon,
I have been trolling around this forum for a few weeks now trying to soaking up as much information as possible. I’m looking to get into this style of fishing and I was wondering what would be the best and cost effective tandem kayak. So far I have been looking into the Malibu Pro 2 tandem and Ocean Kayak Malibu Two XL Angler Kayak. Any other suggestions?

A little about me, I live in Ventura County and I have been fishing since I was a kid, average fisherman who loves the sport. I have limited kayaking experience (rookie), but eager to learn. I decided to get into this style of fishing because I hate shelling out hard earned money to stand shoulder to shoulder while getting my line tangled up on ocean charters. I have chosen to get a tandem because my better half may occasionally want to go fishing and/or kayaking.
I will take any suggestions information on equipment, progressions, techniques and launching and fishing areas.
Thanks,
Jimi
I have a buddy selling a nice Malibu tandem. Think he said he wanted 500 or 550. PM me if you want me to get you his contact info. He lives in san diego...
dsutter775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #3
dsutter775
Malibu X Factor

Word of advice though, if your partner isnt going to be with you every trip, paddling the tandem by yourself wont be fun...
dsutter775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:59 PM   #4
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

Depends on the tandem if it has the option to put a seat in the middle for solo paddling
yak-fishing-socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #5
Amish Ed

Between those 2 I'd go with the Malibu II XL. It will comfortably fish as a single. I don't think the Pro 2 has the center seat option like the OK boat does. Paddling solo in that would suck. Better would be to get yourself 2 singles. If she's only going to be going occasionally, you don't even have to get them at the same time.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:30 AM   #6
Sir LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Between those 2 I'd go with the Malibu II XL. It will comfortably fish as a single. I don't think the Pro 2 has the center seat option like the OK boat does. Paddling solo in that would suck. Better would be to get yourself 2 singles. If she's only going to be going occasionally, you don't even have to get them at the same time.
i had a pro 2 that had the center seat option
Sir LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:32 AM   #7
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir LJ View Post
i had a pro 2 that had the center seat option
Does it have a molded in seat, or are you sitting on the hatch?
Old 06-07-2015, 09:35 AM   #8
Minami
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
I will not be able to get 2 kayaks because she will not go out solo. Plus, I don't have room to store 2 kayaks. Does the Malibu II XL have a center molded seat?
Minami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:53 AM   #9
Saba Slayer

OK Malibu II

The Ocean Kayak Malibu II XL is a great yak...I still have one in my fleet.
It has a molded seat in the center area to paddle solo (no sitting on a flat hatch) ... it's a barge, but like all OK products, it paddles well. A great stable platform to hoopnet from.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:21 PM   #10
Richard Yan
Junior

I have a hobie tandem island, it's fun! I can go solo or can have someone else on board, because the Mirage, it works great for both! I am planing to put a motor on it too, just don't really know if I should put 6hp instead 2.5 yet😎 because I see a lot YouTube are putting 2.3 Honda on it. Good luck for your new kayak!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Richard Yan is offline   Reply With Quote