Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2012, 03:27 AM   #1
tasteslikechikn54

PUNTA BANDA, BABY!!!

Heading down to punta Banda next week and was wondering if anyone can give me some feedback on the fishing there.... I've fished la bocana in santo Tomas in the past (panga) and noticed that the winds can get pretty heavy... Does it get like that at punta Banda? I will be camping with the family and will be fishing thru vonnys..... Had to leave the yak behind. I will be taking the following set ups:

1. Avet jx 40 lbs mono
2. Avet sx mc 65 lbs spectra with 30 lbs fluoro leader
3. Daiwa sealine 20 with straight 30 lbs spectra

Any other suggestions on what other setups I will need? Heard the calicos get pretty crazy...

Any suggestions on tackle will be greatly appreciated
Thanks guys...
tasteslikechikn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:11 AM   #2
jorluivil

I used to fish Todos Santos quite a bit back in the days, based on my experience your gear should be OK. The fish down south tend to fight a little harder than the ones up north, combine that with the seals that will go after every fish you hook and you're in for a hell of a ride.

When we fished there we also did quite a bit of rockfishing for sheepshead, ling cods and the usual vermillions, snappers, etc. Again, for whatever reason the fish down there were a little more agressive and gave us a run for our money. When I first started fishing Todos Santos and the surrounding areas I used gear similar to yours but as I got familiar with what the area was like I went to smaller gear and that made it funner (quoting my nephew).

Bring some extra squid and definately bring a squid jig(you never know). Also, use whole squid if you fish the bottom, the panga may have dead squid on board but they usually end up cutting it into really small peices, I prefer whole squid.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
ctrujillo

You should be good on gear.been a while since ive gone down there.im jealous.vonys is a awsome little operation.im not sure if beto still runs a panga there but he will put you on the yellow.i have to stop:the_f Being chicken and head south again

Last edited by ctrujillo; 08-01-2012 at 06:33 AM. Reason: removed finger
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
Anthony179
A.T.

what do they cahrge for a day of fishing?
Anthony179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
ctrujillo

Had a website vonnys fleet.
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
tasteslikechikn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony179 View Post
what do they cahrge for a day of fishing?
It runs 140 and the panga fits 3... Thanks for the input guys. I'll make sure to post pics from the trip when I get back... Thanks again...
Old 08-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
tasteslikechikn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I used to fish Todos Santos quite a bit back in the days, based on my experience your gear should be OK. The fish down south tend to fight a little harder than the ones up north, combine that with the seals that will go after every fish you hook and you're in for a hell of a ride.

When we fished there we also did quite a bit of rockfishing for sheepshead, ling cods and the usual vermillions, snappers, etc. Again, for whatever reason the fish down there were a little more agressive and gave us a run for our money. When I first started fishing Todos Santos and the surrounding areas I used gear similar to yours but as I got familiar with what the area was like I went to smaller gear and that made it funner (quoting my nephew).

Bring some extra squid and definately bring a squid jig(you never know). Also, use whole squid if you fish the bottom, the panga may have dead squid on board but they usually end up cutting it into really small peices, I prefer whole squid.
I will make sure to stop by seafood city and pick up 3 lbs of squid.... Im gonna stop by the market in ensenada and pick up a few items for ingredients and I'm sure i can score a few pounds of fresh dead squid.... Thanks man.... Hoping for the best....
Old 08-02-2012, 03:30 AM   #8
jorluivil

Hopefully next week isn't to late

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/baj...-c-mexico.html

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
tasteslikechikn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
That's funny... I saw that last night and thats exactly what I told myself... Tasty taco meat doesn't sound bad either, though....