Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
Mongo Johnson

Help me peel the onion of picking a first rod/reel

Alas, I'm in search of my "first rig" to start fishing ... I “think” I’m looking for a rig versatile enough to do inshore learning curve, but get me by if I try to go for WSB . . . Possible?

I hit Performance, and Pacific Edge shops to get advice on "what to buy" -- am following threads here too. ‘Yakked with Turners and Brandon at the LB Sport Chalet. Nice guy.

Listening to all the LJ WSB hunters I was set to jump in a Sealine . . . But the topic seems like peeling an onion. With the Hobie Revo I can go deeper . . . but I don't have a finder yet . . .

I'm trying to figure out the "type" of fishing I'll be able to do regularly . . . and help use that in the buying decision.

While I'm enthralled by the very sexy WSB . . . as I start out, I expect I'll be hitting the breakwater at LB, Maybe LB oil islands . . . do some time in PV kelp ‘cause it’s pretty off there, or off Newport/Corona Del Mar . . .

I expect getting started I'll lurk off the breakwater etc. and just "get my feet wet" and figure it out. Learn some knots. Try and tag along with someone here once I'm past the tripping over my own feet stage.

I dunno if the Sealine is too heavy for this?

I suspect just getting something average and just getting on the water is one way to "just do it." Say get a Penn 500 and an Ugly Stick. Maybe a some kind of lighter baitcaster combo . . .

I'm a little "at sea" as I sort this out.

I wonder if as a rookie I should get a lighter baitcaster . . . ? Seems there’s three classes . . . 1) Light bay rig 2) heavier bait caster 3) med to heavy deep sea rig like Sealine on a med/heavy rod.

Seems I might need to decide on bait . . . doing plastics or iron seems attractive to “grab and go” after work and not have to hit the barge (2 hr paddle in LB).

But, I’m hearing non-live bait just doesn’t work as weill and/or lures is an acquired skill. And, a rig for that might be lighter than WSJ?

While I think I can rule out a light bay rig. I don’t know if something that’ll work inshore, can handle deeper stuff.

And, I may want to jump down and see Darkhorse or another guide. So, it’d be nice to have something heavy enough for that . . .

But, I gotta live with it and be effective where expect I fish most and for that type of condition . . . which of course . . . I’m kinda ignorant of as a rookie.
Mongo Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

something is wrong with your computer. I keep seeing
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
MrM

One of the mistakes I made when I first started was thinking that every rod I bought needed to be able to do double duty (somehow be a bass rod AND catch YT) Now tell me, how the eff does that add up?

Start slow. I suggest only taking one or two rods out max the first time. Learn the harbors first if you are unfamiliar with what the fish like or where to even go.

Start with light tackle. Keep in mind that when fishing in the bays, you probably want to run 4-6 lb mono. Build 1 rod around that, somewhere in the ballpark of a 4-10 lb rod of your choice. I prefer spinning rods for the tiny line. Thats just me.

Light to Medium tackle- This is my bass/rock cod rod. I have a nice Shimano Compre 8-17lb I use for this. It's paired with a Shimano Calcutta 100 and some Power Pro braid for fishing the kelp. I also have a Calcutta 200 and 400 if I wanted to switch to those. I like the Calcutta's if you couldn't tell.

I have a 15-30 lb Okuma that I hardly use. I will use it for hali's eventually. It has it's purpose, just not in the waters I usually find myself in.

Heavy- Big Yellows and WSB rod. I suggest going to Big 5 and getting a Sabre rod. They go on sale for $40 and work great. Mines a 30-60 lb. I have it paired with a Daiwa Saltist 50, and the reel is just too damn big IMO. A Saltist 30 could do the trick. 50lb Mono as the backbone, and some Braid to cut the kelp when the fish run for cover.... Some people throw a topshot of Spectra on there, too.

I would 100% suggest contacting a guide. It'l cut your learning curve immensely. However, you'll need rods first. Take your time, do it right the first time so you don't spend extra money on things you didn't need. Darkhorse goes highly recommended among those here. I had troubles getting a hold of the guy this summer, but that's just me. That was also durring the "timely report or no report" battle... So I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. The pictures that get posted from his clients are hard to argue with.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo Johnson View Post
Alas, I'm in search of my "first rig" to start fishing ... I “think” I’m looking for a rig versatile enough to do inshore learning curve, but get me by if I try to go for WSB . . . Possible?

I hit Performance, and Pacific Edge shops to get advice on "what to buy" -- am following threads here too. ‘Yakked with Turners and Brandon at the LB Sport Chalet. Nice guy.

Listening to all the LJ WSB hunters I was set to jump in a Sealine . . . But the topic seems like peeling an onion. With the Hobie Revo I can go deeper . . . but I don't have a finder yet . . .

I'm trying to figure out the "type" of fishing I'll be able to do regularly . . . and help use that in the buying decision.

While I'm enthralled by the very sexy WSB . . . as I start out, I expect I'll be hitting the breakwater at LB, Maybe LB oil islands . . . do some time in PV kelp ‘cause it’s pretty off there, or off Newport/Corona Del Mar . . .

I expect getting started I'll lurk off the breakwater etc. and just "get my feet wet" and figure it out. Learn some knots. Try and tag along with someone here once I'm past the tripping over my own feet stage.

I dunno if the Sealine is too heavy for this?

I suspect just getting something average and just getting on the water is one way to "just do it." Say get a Penn 500 and an Ugly Stick. Maybe a some kind of lighter baitcaster combo . . .

I'm a little "at sea" as I sort this out.

I wonder if as a rookie I should get a lighter baitcaster . . . ? Seems there’s three classes . . . 1) Light bay rig 2) heavier bait caster 3) med to heavy deep sea rig like Sealine on a med/heavy rod.

Seems I might need to decide on bait . . . doing plastics or iron seems attractive to “grab and go” after work and not have to hit the barge (2 hr paddle in LB).

But, I’m hearing non-live bait just doesn’t work as weill and/or lures is an acquired skill. And, a rig for that might be lighter than WSJ?

While I think I can rule out a light bay rig. I don’t know if something that’ll work inshore, can handle deeper stuff.

And, I may want to jump down and see Darkhorse or another guide. So, it’d be nice to have something heavy enough for that . . .

But, I gotta live with it and be effective where expect I fish most and for that type of condition . . . which of course . . . I’m kinda ignorant of as a rookie.

WHAT THE FU€K
I don't even know how to respond
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
dnichols36

talk to fishaholic John will set you up well for a good price.
dnichols36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK View Post
WHAT THE FU€K
I don't even know how to respond

x2
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

A good all around reel would be an avet sx, 300 yards of 50lb spectra and interchangable flouro topshots. Its too big for bay bass but will handle most stuff you hook into from halis to yt to threshers. Greg Andrew uses his calcutta 400's for everything! Check out his youtube videos he catches makos and threshers with the same setup for halibut!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:48 AM   #8
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggameaddict View Post
Greg Andrew uses his calcutta 400's for everything! Check out his youtube videos he catches makos and threshers with the same setup for halibut!
Similar to Greg, I use basically a single setup for everything. I call it el-cheapo fishing. Unlike some people on this site, I'm not in a position to spend several hundred dollars on multiple rod/reel setups.

Shimano AX4000 Reel. ($20.00)
FX-70MBH2 Rod. ($20.00)

It's light enough to cast all day, but has enough "size" to provide resistance to larger fishy foes.

I carry multiple spools with different lines for easy changes from one weight to another: 2lb mono, 8lb mono, 25lb mono, 40lb braid, 65lb braid.

This single rig has landed everything from 0.5lb Bluegill to 10lb Bonito to 30lb barracuda. I haven't landed sharks on this setup, but not because of the equipment... it's because I haven't mustered up the huevos to venture outside the bays. I haven't encountered any situation where I felt the equipment was not up to the task - just have to fight some fish longer than others.

Last edited by addicted2sp33d; 10-30-2012 at 07:04 AM.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
chisgirl54
Junior

hubby got me this set up and the guy at turners said it would work for just about anything i went for.

pole is inshore rod 7.6 ft cost about 70.00
reel okuma classic pro xp the little one only cuz im little in size myself. i think we paid like 65.00 for this.

they have other sizes. the next one up from the one i have would eat my hands and wait for more. so little for me is fine plus it was my first time fishing of my yak. hope this helps out.
chisgirl54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
slobslayer

All around reel for bass/halibut to even YT.... Calcutta 400
Bigger fish Big 5 sabre and a Daiwa Saltist 20 or 30 or shimano torium of equal size.
Thses reels are tough and pretty cheap compared to most.
slobslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
Mongo Johnson

Thanks for the input after wading through my info-overload.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
jorluivil

Here's my response

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #13
driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Here's my response

You really need to back off the CAWAMA beer bro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kFXz1zxzk4
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #14
StinkyMatt

Since fish do not ever SEE your rod or reel, I think it's more of a Fisherman preference than anything else.

For the fishing you described, you will not need 200 yard casts or major line capacity.

You can land 50+inch Wsb on A Cardiff 200....easily.

There are a few elite fishermen on here that will say you got to go big and fancy, these guys are reeling in 50lb class YT everyday. They are special.

Some guys like their shiny toys.

Concentrate on the business end of the rig.

Think used.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:40 AM   #15
boxturtle

I would say go with a light spinner rig first with at least 200yards of 12lb test monofiliment line capcity. If you are a beginner you don't want to be messing around with bird nest and cutting expensive braid. You can take it to the local lake, pier, jetty, and bays. Try to look for one that has a spare spool so you can double the value of your reel ( different line sizes). I like 4lb test and 8 or 10lb test. After you figure that fishing is for you and have master all the basic you can add to your quiver. 15lb rig that's chapter2
boxturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #16
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

for a fair price with very reliability... spinning setup.

i used an Abu Garcia conolon 7ft 2 piece rod (about $40)
pair it up with a shimano sonora reel (about $50)

BUY A REEL WITH EXTRA SPOOLS!!! i had 1 spool with 40# braid, 2# mono, 6# mono, and 12# mono. that covers trout, surfperch, halibut, catfish, bass, and rockfish.

if you're chasing yellowtail, wsb, or sharks... you arent a newbie.. and you will have more than 5 different rods all honed specifically for each type of fish. (i'm currently at about 40 rods.. and i'm only 24).
Old 11-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #17
30lbbg2299

For an inshor rod/reel you can fish livebait calicos, roickfish, yellowtail, white seabass, lingcod etc. Big 5 penn sabre 20-50 with a torium 14-16 65lb braid 30lb topshot
30lbbg2299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #18
tacmik

And don't forget the old stand by the "UGLY STICK"
Old 11-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #19
October
Fish Whisperer

I keep it simple.

for my bigger game or bottom fishing I use a Ugly Stik tiger paired with a Daiwa Sealine X30sha. I spool that with 40lb power pro and a top shot of 20lb flouro. I double dropper loop this rig and am also able to throw irons with it.

for my medium gear, I bring a St.Croix Mojo Bass Inshore series heavy action rod rated at 2oz paired with an Abu Garcia Revo Toro Nacl50. I spool this with 30lb power pro and top shot it with line appropriate for whatever fishing I am doing. Swimbaits for calicos, irons for YT, bucktails on the bottom, etc.

two poles. thats all I need.

light gear? I dont bring light gear. its the ocean. The only time I use light gear is in the summer time when Im finesse fishing with plastics for large mouth. Then ill use a medium light Phenix Recon coupled with a Shimano Curado 50E and 4-6lb flourocarbon, usually drop shotting.