Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
gcsasher
Junior

Fish finder Installation

I was wondering if there is a way to check if your transducer is installed correctly without having to haul your kayak down to the bay just to find out that you have air bubbles in the glue?
gcsasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #2
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Long Answer:
There may be some way to test without getting in the water, but if you want to know if it will work to find fish, structure, depth, etc., then take it into the ocean and try it. The bays are great and all but it isn't the greatest place to put a FF through it's paces. I use the tried and true 80 trips out rule. Once you have gotten 80 trips, and gotten used to exactly how to read you sonar, it's time to upgrade it again.

Seriously every install is different, every boat is different, every sonar is different... there is no substitute for actual testing. If your Transducer is attached, then give it a try OTW! See if the readings are accurate... "arches" that continue at one depth the whole time is bad... unless of course you are Josh, then having a school of YT stalking you is normal. But Josh doen't need Sonar as he can catch YT in 5 gal buckets of tap water regardless!

Short answer...
NO.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
gcsasher
Junior

Thanks for the help. Now it's time to fish.
gcsasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:24 AM   #4
technoyak

Talking

Hey, I know a very easy way to test it . . . since you are in CA and I am in FL, just bring your kayak to where I live. We can test it in the pool . . . I'll swing underneath to see if it reads fish or not (hope it reads clowns too), then we can throw some of the pool's equipment and test for structure. What do you say?
technoyak is offline   Reply With Quote