Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2008, 08:17 AM   #1
bigbarrels

Spectra

What pound test Spectra do you suggest for kayak fishing at La Jolla? Is 65# too much? Do you set it up with mono or fluoro and what #test? Currently I have 30 lb P-line on my reels but like what I've been reading on Specta's kelpcutting ability....my current reels are Daiwa Sealine 40 (2) and a Penn 500 (1).....
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
Dennis

Nothing less than 50lb spectra on my rigs. 25-45lb flouro with a swivel for my bait rigs.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #3
Handymansd
Ancient Member

, I use 65# Power pro and I have never had a problem with the line..... just the user. I used to use 50# Flouro but could not catch a fish, so now I use a 25 or 30 # Flouro and have had a little better luck.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
MKNOTT

Big,

65 Power Pro is an awsome line and lasts a very long time. It will be expensive to fill up those reels though... You might want to splice to a little of your existing mono and then fill the rest with the Power Pro.

MKNOTT

When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea, <O
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
MKNOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

fill up your reels with ~1/3 mono, then take your reels to the tackle shop. Those size reels will hold about 300 yards of spectra with the mono backing. plenty of line. I use #80 power pro.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:24 PM   #6
Grego

If you're a gear junkie and $ is no object, go with Blackwater 16 strand spectra. Blackwater is the U.S. subsidiary for Toray...the primo spectra line in japan. Best maximized by the long-range guys hunting for the big stuff....unless you got some connections of course Also, the flouro is unbelievably soft...technology just keeps getting better and better.
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
bajadog
I eats what I kills

http://www.spiderwire.com/prod.php?k...0687&u=SS-1100
Old 11-24-2008, 06:43 PM   #8
Rusty

Before reading this thread I assumed everyone used 65# Izor Spectra on gear for rated 20-50#. I love it, but then again its all I ever used.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
dgax65
Guerro Grande

When I first started using Spectra on my kayak reels, I had a mix of 30# and 50# . Last year I bought a bunch of Shimano Torium reels to replace my old Daiwa's and I decided to shift to 65# Power Pro Spectra. Since I had quite a few reels to fill I got the large spools of Spectra. You can save some money with the bulk spools. The Blackwater stuff is pretty nice....if you can afford it.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #10
esdees
The Good Clone

The guys at Squidco don't mind filling your reels from your own bulk spools for no charge if things aren't busy. Just don't take advantage of it and make sure you find a few things to buy while you wait, not that that's difficult

For live bait, use a swivel and 3-9' of 15-40lb fluoro. I think the norm is about 4' of 30lb. You'll learn to adjust for the conditions. Seagar brand fluoro seems to be good.

If you're going to be casting or yoyo-ing, have the guys at squidco put 100yds of mono (30-40lb) on top. If things are really quiet (not likely) ask them to teach you the knot so you can do it on your own if necessary.

Good luck.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:32 PM   #11
bigbarrels

Thank you everybody! That really helps and now I know what to ask the wife for XMAS Once again this website proves to be a valuable source of information. Thanks Again!
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote