Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #21
MrPatrick

13 on the trident
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #22
450matt
Junior

Since I am closer to figuring out what I want. One more question. What are all the differences between the trident 13 and the trident ultra 4.3? And what does everyone like more?
450matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #23
tacmik

Try the Trident 13 or even the 15. I have the T-13 and have no problems with the open water, paddles great, fairly dry and handles the surf well. I would stay away from the T-11 just because of where and how you would be using it. If you go with the 15, I recommend you get a rudder also.
P.S. I am also 5'9 and weight 175.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #24
Siebler

Hey Man I spoke with you yesterday. For what you are doing go with the 13 or the now discontinued 15.

Discontinued 15's I have a Blem and my demo that will be selling cheap if you decide to go that route.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #25
MrPatrick

If you can get a 15 cheap and have room to store it, by all means test paddle that 'yak. I say this from experience. I have poor balance due to inner problems as a kid, the 15 is very stable. I have joint problems in both shoulders and both Knees and my left hip due to a bone disease I was born with. Can't peddle, have to paddle and the big 15 cruises nicely with little effort when at speed. Doesn't turn worth a turd though. And it handles all size paddlers.

Patrick
Old 08-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #26
MrPatrick

I also think its still the best looking 'yak out there.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #27
TheBentRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPatrick View Post

I also think its still the best looking 'yak out there.
For sale?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #28
MrPatrick

Never!!!!!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #29
Socalkayak
Junior

Matt you can't go wrong with the trident series. I would go with the 13 it doesn't seem like it but it will be easier and faster paddling. One thing that is rarely mentioned is the wieght of the kayak. I live in ventura county and am jelious of the Lajolla guys that can drive there yaks to the waters edge. I have a stealth 14 great for fishing but just sucks loading and unloading even with a cart. Being from central coast I imagine you will be beach launching and the tridents are good for going through surf. Those monster yaks that are as big as a boat like mine really suck trying to paddle through surf. And if it is your fist one try to go used. Most everyone goes through a few different yaks before they settle in to one they stick with. Try not to add anything to your kayak untill you have used it fishing a few times then try to go minamal as possible if you look at the guys that have been doing it for a long time they just have the essentials. I have owned a lot oh kayaks and when I get the opertunity will probably go with a basic prowler 15 I never see people using the rod pod on the trident. And remember its not the kayak that makes a good fisherman.
Socalkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #30
Socalkayak
Junior

Sorry but I need more space. Once you decide one one if you can't find it on Craigslist and you will probably have to drive to LA or Orange County to find what you are looking for. You can also try kayak rental places call and ask if they want to sell one or one of there demos. I picked up a brand new demo prowler 15 once for 500. Try to get a used one then you can drop 130 bucks on a good seat. I have a nice OEX seat and sit on a 1.5 inch pad a good seat is almost as important as the yak. And don't forget $200 to endless for a fish finder unless you are only going to fish kelp a fish finder is a must have. You will want to get a good paddling jacket $150 I wear waders or or waterproof pants $150. Unless your not going to fish in winter. My point being save money on your yak you will need it for other things that give you more time on the water and time on the water is what you need for the Lings and seabass good luck and I hope this helps you. Feel free to PM me
Old 08-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #31
Socalkayak
Junior

The difference between the prowler trident and ultra is basically money. All you need is the prowler angler and save your money.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #32
tacmik

"I never see people using the rod pod on the trident."

I love my rod pod. The tray inside holds all my immediate tackle i am using, and I stow my rods in it when going thru the surf.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #33
Oxbeast1210

I dont really want to but im considering the sale of my 13
Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #34
Socalkayak
Junior

I was referring to the plug in play not the hatch itself. I agree it is great for storage but don't see to many people using the plug and play which is more money then the standard hatch. I would get the blue one in the post that looks nice by the way what are you asking for it