Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Stealth 14 vs Pa 14

Anyone out there help, looking at ordering Stealth 14 from OEX MB. Have PA 14, might keep. Looking for surf launching, less weight and forward bait tank. Any in put from someone who has fished both? 65 years old, 180 lbs, 5'6'. Has anyone used there bait system? Any help would help, pro's con's. Thanks.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Was really hoping for some input, pros and cons on the stealth 14, maybe they are too new?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 08-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
Drake

Hey bob, the boats have similarities concerning stability. However they are completely opposite boats, which I'm sure are obvious.

The Stealth might be a bit lighter...but it's non nearly as convenient to load or carry because of it's pointed keel and handles. The PA has a much better carry handle design.

Perhaps look into the PA 12? Or maybe even an outback or adventure island? They are not as stable but great boats. Steveooo or Andy can chime in regarding the Adventure Island.

The PA isn't as big an issue as some make it to be when it comes to surf launch/landing
I'll gladly take you and help you out.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I can't comment on surf launching/landing as I've never needed to.

The Stealth forward bait tank works well and is very convienent, but it does take up a lot of real estate which leaves the two side hatches for gear up front. I keep my tackle in a tackle box in the tank well area. I'm reaching for bait way more often than tackle so it works very well for me. Plus the top of the bait tank makes for a good workbench and lunch table and having the tank water that low in the boat adds to it's already good stability.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
easyday

I love my x factor 14 same body as the stealth just a different deck.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
ZepBonham

I've only bought sardines twice, but every last one stayed alive in my stealth bait tank. I also really like the deck in front for reasons Alan mentioned.
ZepBonham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
Cbad Mike

As a Stealth 14 rider I can tell you that the forward bait tank was one of the main reasons I bought the kayak (plus price). The bait tank is oval instead of square like a lot of other kayak tanks which I think gives an even flow and keeps the bait alive and happy until I jam a hook through their nose. Like mentioned above, I too carry my tackle behind me which is fine because there is still plenty of room for Yellowtail. When I'm not using live bait I keep my tackle in the bait tank. The ability to stand up on the Stealth has proven productive as well as given me a chance to stretch my legs. The kayak is Very stable. I've rolled twice during launches but looking back they were caused by user error. Once I learned how to correctly land back on the beach in a good sized surf (sideways), I never felt the anxiety of doing so again. As for the weight... It definitely isn't the lightest kayak out there but I load and unload my Stealth from the on top of my pickup trucks camper shell myself (I'm 5'10 and 180) Incase you are un familiar... The Stealth isn't the driest of kayaks. I always have a small amount of water in the hull after a day on the water. The large front hatch is nice if you want to use it which I don't ever. One of my favorite things besides the bait tank in the front is that it is flush with the deck which is a nice platform to cut bait or change tackle. It also makes it very easy to lay down and take a comfortable nap when I need to.
While I believe that there are many more pros than cons, to be fair I have to tell you a couple things that I don't like. I wish the hull stayed drier and the front rod holders are positioned in a place that makes it necessary to really stretch to use them. I also wish it was lighter but doesn't everyone think the same about their kayak?
As a bonus... On the few occasions that I've just paddled around with my girlfriend I've also brought my dog. He's small so I take the lid off of the bait tank and he comfortably sits in it on a towel and neither him nor I have to worry about him taking a dunk. Lol.

There's not much more I can say so I hope my opinion helps with you decision.
Mike
Old 08-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #8
PE.rider

Amazing thing that marine goo. Apply some around the hatch screws/rivets and the leaking will be kept to a minimum. It just takes a bit of diligence.
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Drake, Cbad Mike, thanks for helping me make a choice, your posts helped mucho.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 08-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
Socalkayak
Junior

I have the stealth 14 and have had several other yaks. I love fishing off of it. I am 6'4 240 42 years old and don't kid yourself it is a beast when you are done fishing for the day. I always surf launch. It doesn't even compare to when I had a prowler 15. The stealth does not like to go over waves and white wash but loves to go right through it which in turn loves to go in the hull. So when you are done for the day and try to pull it out of surf the extra water in hull make it extremely difficult. Fishing on it very cool but paddling in surf really sucks it noses down way to much. I am torn and am now leaning towards ditching it and going back to a trident 15 which is a shame because I like the fishing platform but is just not made for surf launches I do it and it can be done but the platform doesn't help much if you can't make it out. I don't think anyone with a PA or a stealth can say they are good in the surf I don't even think that malibu or hobie would say that. Trust me neither is good in surf compared to other kayaks but other yaks don't compare to there fishing platforms. For surf and transport look elsewhere. Just be honest.
Socalkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
Dirty Curti

I had a Stealth 14 for a short time. It was huge. I have since dropped down to the Stealth 12. Ahhh much better for me. The size is more comfortable and I feel I didn't lose anything but 2 feet and the back hatch which is no big loss. In fact I like it better with out it. I use an igloo cooler that fits perfectly behind my seat which I attached a 3 rod holder to and it keeps all of my belongings perfectly dry which the milk crates don't do.

The fishing platform as everyone said is great. The bait well and 2 side storage areas works very well. I am 48 years old 5'10' 215 lbs. and 2 not so good knees so standing up has proved to be a challenge. I haven't been able to get up from the seated position.

The two things I don't like are the position of the forward rod holders and the water that accumulates after a 6 hr trip in the hull. Other than that it travels and fishes great.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #12
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Hey Curt I'm about the same age/size as you and also a sorta bad knee which makes standing up hard from so low of a seat. A tow rope attached to the front to pull on while standing helps alot but I really don't get up.

I agree with the forward rod holders being kind of a far reach but I checked it out and if they were any closer you would hit them with your paddle.

And yes it's definetly a wet ride. It leaks through the side hatches. I've removed them to inspect and there's no evidence of water leaking under where the screws and gaskets are (which you could seal up with goop). I think it's leaking from around the hatch lid itself. The lids don't close properly on their gaskets and you can't goop them or you wouldn't be able to open the hatches.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
easyday

I believe malibu made a different seal kit that they will send you at no charge if you call them.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
I believe malibu made a different seal kit that they will send you at no charge if you call them.
Just tried contacting them, here's their reply:

Good afternoon,

Thank you for contacting us and for your preference towards our product, now in regards to the issue you are having with the side hatches, we do not have a seal kit, what we recommend is to double up on the seals so the hatch tightens up or add some silicone to the underside of that seal so it could bulk up and create a better tighter seal,

Our design team is working on new gaskets and seals for the hatches and should have new ones coming in later this year, We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you again.