Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #21
cioppino

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
Not many people used the Children's Pool when it was open. A few senior citizens in speedos was all I ever saw there. Now hundreds of people visit it every day. The children want the seals, ask them. This is just a silly issue for talk radio to rant about. Seals not native to San Diego? Planted there by Sea World? Got data to back that up?

I hope we can have these debates without people reducing it to name calling and foul language.
I have been in San Diego my entire life and I have to totally dissagree with you about the lack of use of the Childrens pool. As kids our parents would take us there becasue the Cove was always packed on the weekend. The Childrens pool was always crowded as well. Maybe youre talking about winter or something.

When is the last time kids made any reasonable decisions? I do not like hearing people say that the children want the seals there! Thats ridiculous! If it were up to the children all us parents would have a seal at the dinner table, gimme a break!

Given the choice to use the beach and to go snorkel and look at fish I know which my two children would rather do. Watching stuff is great, but participation is much more fun.
cioppino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #22
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cioppino View Post
I do not like hearing people say that the children want the seals there!
Because you don't like it doesn't change things. You probably won't like it when I say that I disagree with having a Christian symbol (actually a roman torture device) representing a war memorial on Soledad. I'm a veteran and not religious and would prefer a statue of a soldier.

Don't be hating, just accept that many people have different opinions from yours and figure out how to get along.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #23
Dan

Dave whats next? You gonna say we should teach Evolution in schools?!!

Seals or no seals, let's do whatever it takes to get those old hags up on the bluffs to stop selling Tshirts to the sympathetic tourists for big profits.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #24
cioppino

Quote:
Because you don't like it doesn't change things. You probably won't like it when I say that I disagree with having a Christian symbol (actually a roman torture device) representing a war memorial on Soledad. I'm a veteran and not religious and would prefer a statue of a soldier.

Don't be hating, just accept that many people have different opinions from yours and figure out how to get along.
Not HATING anybody. I also dont have to accept your difference of opinion when you are wrong. This isnt about opinions, its about FACTS.

Given all the information on this topic people are going to side with the original trust. The seal huggers throw out little pieces of false information to help move their cause along misleading their captive audience of TOURISTS. (BTW nobody has booked a flight to San Diego to just see the seals at the Childrens Pool. Those tourists are going to be in the area with or without seals) Like stating that the Scripps family supports the seals being there. They do not and are going to sue the city and waste a bunch of my tax dollars.

Go ahead and do a little survey from many different children. Ask them if they would rather watch the seals from a distance, or go down to that very same beach, which was CREATED for them, and play in the sand and swim in the ocean. Strange how the five children I just talked to chose to play in the sand and in the ocean versus watching some seals. They must be seal HATERS.

Funny how seal huggers and the like pitch our difference of opinion as HATE for them and the seals. Its a simplistic diversionary tactic to avoid to simple truth of this situation. Its not about seals or what you or I think is right. Its about a very simple fact. The Childrens Pool was created for the Children. The only reason the city council voted to keep it as its current polluted state is so they wouldnt be spending money the city does not currently have to clean up the beach. If there were a surplus of money in the local budget this would not be an issue.

The Federal government which already told the city to clean that beach up and honor the trust is not going to like it when they find out what the city has done. Just look at the Medicinal Marijuana bull. A city may say its legal to sell Marijuana and even let its citizens do that. However the Federal Government does not care about what the city says is legal or not. They still arrest people selling the dope and put them in jail.
So I expect that all this discussion is for not. This is only buying the seal huggers and the city more time. Soon enough the Scripps family will sue the city, get this issue back in superior court, where any judge is going to honor the previous judges decision telling the city to honor the trust, clean up the beach, and get rid of the seals.

Remember what you said about name calling. I am not a HATER!
cioppino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #25
Billy V

The children don't pay the taxes, and are not voters. If you were to ask a child who they wanted for president you may get Mickey Mouse as an answer.

So as a responsible parent I would take their request to "see the seals" into consideration, and shuffle them over to Sea World.

As for the Children's Pool Vs The Scripps Trust Issue, I would stand solidly on the side of the laws that allowed the creation of the Trust.

The Trust intentions were clear, and created for the benefit of the people and children of San Diego, not as a wildlife sanctuary.

Its OK to be different, but don't think your differences gives you the right to impose your ways onto others. Especially in the case of a Trust, or Will where its intentions were clear.
-------------------------------
The date stamp on this picture is correct.
It depicts "Actual Children" using The Children's Pool for its intended use.

Last edited by Billy V; 03-14-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #26
Dave I.

I'm not a native, so not a Voter.

Back in 1994 to 1998, I swam at the children's pool. Tons of Children were there at the same time.

Dave
Dave I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #27
bellcon

just curious
whats with the sign in the last picture
"please do not go on the beach"

whats the rest of it say?
thanks
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #28
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

With due respect to Fishionado's opinion, I have to strongly say that he is dead wrong. I grew up in La Jolla. When I was a kid, the Casa was the place that all the kids went, especially those who loved snorkeling and prowling the tide pools. I was one of those kids. Human visitation only stopped when the politicians got involved.

I remember Christmas day 19 sixty-something. The only thing I asked for that year was a wet suit so I could snorkel year round. Santa delivered and Christmas day my parents took me to the Casa to try out my new gear.

The water was in the mid 50's but I didn't care. I put on my suit and jumpped in. I remember swimming along the big rock next to the seawall, (this rock is now mostly covered with sand). The first creature I saw was a seal lion pup, (not a seal, BTW). With its mom watching from a safe distance this pup and I swam together for a long time. I will never forget that day.

Seals and people can coexist. My guess is if the Casa is returned to its original condition, and people are allowed back on the beach, the seals will simply move back to Seal Rock a couple hundred yards away where they hung out when I was a kid. The will probably have to share the space with the native seal lions but since they do that in nature all the time, I cannot see that there will be a problem.

One of the problems here is that the people making the decisions on this subject do not have the wisdom that comes from many years of observing this site and the creatures that live there.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #29
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
With due respect to Fishionado's opinion, I have to strongly say that he is dead wrong. I grew up in La Jolla. When I was a kid, the Casa was the place that all the kids went, especially those who loved snorkeling and prowling the tide pools. I was one of those kids. Human visitation only stopped when the politicians got involved.

I remember Christmas day 19 sixty-something. The only thing I asked for that year was a wet suit so I could snorkel year round. Santa delivered and Christmas day my parents took me to the Casa to try out my new gear.

The water was in the mid 50's but I didn't care. I put on my suit and jumpped in. I remember swimming along the big rock next to the seawall, (this rock is now mostly covered with sand). The first creature I saw was a seal lion pup, (not a seal, BTW). With its mom watching from a safe distance this pup and I swam together for a long time. I will never forget that day.

Seals and people can coexist. My guess is if the Casa is returned to its original condition, and people are allowed back on the beach, the seals will simply move back to Seal Rock a couple hundred yards away where they hung out when I was a kid. The will probably have to share the space with the native seal lions but since they do that in nature all the time, I cannot see that there will be a problem.

One of the problems here is that the people making the decisions on this subject do not have the wisdom that comes from many years of observing this site and the creatures that live there.

Bob

That's what we needed to hear, and that is the reason I want to see it returned to how it was meant to be...
For my son to be able to enjoy it, just as you did.

Thank you for that post.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #30
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
just curious
whats with the sign in the last picture
"please do not go on the beach"

whats the rest of it say?
thanks
Those are the bullshit signs the Seal Watch Terrorists place along side of The Official City of San Diego sign.

Here is a closer look. The Official Sign is on the right --->
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:41 PM   #31
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
Those are the bullshit signs the Seal Watch Terrorists place along side of The Official City of San Diego sign.

Here is a closer look. The Official Sign is on the right --->
What happened to this sign....

Tman
Old 03-16-2009, 06:06 AM   #32
FISHIONADO

I really don't care about this silly little issue other than the enjoyment of watching folks on both sides of the issues rant. I'm not going to use the pool either way and neither will most of the people ranting. I hope you folks put as much energy into worrying about our financially broke city, state, and fed as you do this issue.

To support children the pool requires frequent maintenance to remove the sand that fills the pool and blocks the drains. How about you children huggers step up and pay for it rather than expect my tax dollars to pay for it?

Sorry this issue cause some of you folks so much angst. The bigger issues in life must make you suicidal.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:49 AM   #33
j mo

For those that DO care
http://www.friendsofthechildrenspool.com/

FRIENDS OF THE CHILDEN’S POOL is organized to:
EDUCATE the public as to the use of the Children’s Pool in accord with Miss Ellen Scripps charitable intent in 1931 in order to protect La Jolla Children’s Pool surroundings as a public park, a bathing pool for children and public recreational usage in accordance with chapter 937 of the attached deed of trust between Miss Ellen Browning Scripps, the State of California and the City of San Diego, county of San Diego.
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #34
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
To support children the pool requires frequent maintenance to remove the sand that fills the pool and blocks the drains. How about you children huggers step up and pay for it rather than expect my tax dollars to pay for it?
Agan, Mr. Fishionado is incorrect. I have been around the Casa for more than 50 years. As far as I know, it has never been dredged. Assuming that everything goes according to plan, it will be dredged for the first time as part of the mandated reclamation effort.

As for other maintenance, the City is currently spending a big chunk of change to restore the restrooms and lifeguard tower that are falling apart. This is the first major maintenance that this site has undergone ever. This maintenance is long overdue.

Why, you may ask is there a lifeguard station on a beach that does not currently allow human swimmers. That is a good question. This site is the main year-round lifeguard facility for the entire La Jolla rock beach area. This facility covers the entire coast from Bird Rock to the caves north of the Cove. The lifeguards working out of the Casa are the ones who keep an eye on kayak fishers and divers in the kelp beds. They would also be there to protect any swimmers in the CP, if people are ever allowed to return.

Finally, at the risk of extending the arguement, I am proud to be called a "children hugger". I think my kids kind of enjoy it. I just wish that they could also enjoy the some personal freedoms and access to nature that I experienced when I was their age. Sadly, it seems that every year there are more rules and restrictions placed upon us. This is not a good thing.

Bob

Last edited by dsafety; 03-16-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #35
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Well said...thank you.

CP was the first spot I wanted to intro my son to free diving, aka snorkeling. Easy access, no obstructions.

As it stands, I will have to take him to my bug spot, S of CP, not as easy of a dive, and more rocks (obstacles) instead of the smooth sand entry.

Sunset Cliffs? ya right
LJ shores? Leopards, he has swam with them, but nothing else.
Cardiff? Great flat, which is rare, not even safe at low tide.
Swamis? ya right

Think that about covers the coast without endangering him too much....that's my reason for seeing CP as it should be.

And yes, if I could control where my tax $ went, safe to say where it would be spent...

Tman

Last edited by Tman; 03-16-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #36
FISHIONADO

I was mistaken on the dredging, I remembered an article about the original construction that talked about the drains being designed poorly and assumed... I know.

Proud to be a children hugger? Holy crap that is funny. If you take everything I say seriously you are missing the sarcasm.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #37
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Tman, if you are looking for a great place for snorkeling with your kid where he can see lots of cool stuff, try the bay north of Big Rock in Bird Rock. There is a fairly easy rock access near the point on the north side.

That was my "secret" place as a kid. In the day you could get a limit of abs in 10 minutes. These days the abalone are gone but there are still plenty of fish, crabs and other intersting things. Go at low tide when it is shallow. The water there gets dirty with any kind of surf however.

Bob
Old 03-17-2009, 10:56 PM   #38
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Know the area very well...last ab I got was just S of there back in the day, buried under a ledge.

Low tide is best, but I'm still worried about the undercurrent, you know what I mean. Good place at low tide to scavenge, but not for a beginner youth. Conditions would have to be ideal, otherwise, scrape, scrape, scrape...

BTW, that is the best spot to find buoys too, after the swells...

Tman