Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
nunyabizness1
Maggie

MLPA - Mobilization/Caravan Event - You won't want to miss it!

Hello All,

I am part of a group that is organizing a massive caravan event to make a statement regarding the MLPA process. We are tryin to get all of southern California involved and need your help!

I am posting from the BD site what Mikeylikesit and I posted to announce this event. First Mikey's post, then mine:

we are making plans to hold a "protest" or "mobilizing event". We have some ideas, and are looking for more. Understand the fellas up north are proceeding with thier "anti-mlpa" signs and shirts......that is great! We dont want to ride thier shirt-tails, but we do need to have a "united" message.

I personally do not like the "NO MLPA" message because we all know it is unrealistic......but that message is easily understood, where the "minimum closures" message would take some explaining.

....anyway......had a meeting yesterday with a few concerned members. One of the ideas which came out of that meeting was to hold "fishing boat caravans" much like the guys up north have discussed.......but a couple of key points are:

we dont want to piss off the general public. We do want to EDUCATE the general public about what is going on and what is being IMPLEMENTED. Stopping access, or bringing traffic to a standstill will get us the kind of attention we DONT want. However, 20 or 30 or 50 trucks and trailers with signage, all in a single file, should get peoples attention. Kids with signs (the same ones...."unified message") will get peoples attention.

AND: We dont have alot of time.

CUT TO THE CHASE:

there is a meeting being held on Monday evening, Aug. 24, in Garden Grove; for the purpose of planning our strategy. I am heading up to it, as are several other members.

WE NEED PARTICIPATION IN THIS MEETING!!!!! NOW IS THE TIME TO GET OFF OUR ASSES!!! We all need to invest a little bit of time RIGHT NOW or we are going to get steamrolled just as the central and north coasts have experienced.

Once this process is done, it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to reverse the decision of the Fish and Game Commission. We may not be able to win, but we CERTAINLY can have an effect on the outcome.......meaning, to minimize the closures.

OUR key players are getting tired, folks. we need to relieve them......

PLEASE CONSIDER JOINING US!

if you need a ride, PM me or reply here.....if we get enough volunteers, I will arrange for a larger vehicle.

This may be our last chance to affect the outcome.....

Be there, or be somewhere else, but dont bitch to me about the closures if you did nothing.....thanks for your attention.

Maggie's post:

We will have more details after Monday's meeting but like Mikey said, we want to have an organized event to make our statement known. We would host this simultaneously in various locations throughout southern California. This would be a caravan of boats being pulled on trailers parading in set areas. Your boats would have LARGE banners with our message on them. We will get massive media attention to promote our message. We need those who aren't pulling the trailers to line the streets with signs and posters/banners and we will do this every weekend until further notice. We want about 50-75 boats in the caravan and like Mikey said, we need to pull this together fast! This will be done in a proper and civilized manner. You will want to make sure your boats trailers are up to date on their registration, lights are in working order, proper registration and insurance papers on hand, etc. We do not want to break any laws!!!

Our key message is to save our fisheries for our kids and our future. More details to come. If you want to participate in the caravan or on the sidelines, PM either Mikey and me and we will get you on the list. PM us your contact info and we will contact you with further details. We need serious involvement from EVERYONE!!!!

In your PM with Contact Info, please include the following:

First and Last name
BD Name
Best phone # to reach you
Email address
City and Area (So we know which caravan location is closest to you, ifor example: if San Diego, put the area of San Diego such as: San Diego - Rancho Penasquitos )

bring the kids, cub scouts, girl scouts, military in combat clothing, your grannie, aunt Matilda, anyone who would stand to suffer from MLPA closures. They can stand along the caravan route and hold up their signs and banners. EVERYONE is affected by the closures in one way or another when the state misses out on revenue from the fishing industry, our state budget is further impacted. The costs to carry out the closures and enforce them are going to impact the state too! That means more jobs lost, more businesses closed, people out of jobs will not spend money with YOUR business and it goes on and on. Some people have told me that they don't fish this area and fish in Mexico so they are not impacted. Well they are! If they have children going to school, the budgets are cut in education, costs of things are going up, taxes, etc. We are ALL impacted and all need to get involved!!!

Please, if any of you know of any great media contacts, please let us know who they are. We need to be careful that they are pro-management of our resources and not for closures!

Can your cub scouts or girl scouts help out with this community service? I sure hope so! Get them to make huge signs that stand out with their pics of them fishing or of their friends! State on the poster that they just want to fish!!!

PLEASE post this on any of your other boards that you belong to and get the contact info to me as soon as possible! We are trying to get this event going really soon! We will do mass emails to all with the details. If you don't have a boat on a trailer and want to drive a truck with your kayak on top and a big banner or just a truck or car with a large banner, we would love the help!

Thank you!

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/ma...ing-event.html
nunyabizness1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
nunyabizness1
Maggie

Please keep the PM's coming with your contact info. We need lots of people to participate in this event. A kayak on top of a car or truck with banners tied on works great!!

There is a planning mtg. on Monday night. Here is the info:

Okay, John Hughes got us the location from our first MLPA 101 seminars at
his shop again, this time for getting together for closing stretch efforts.
This is about public protest, getting Bloodydecks membership involved, boats
hauled down the road with banners on them, outreach at the launch ramps, and
so forth.
It is where we will be going over our speaking points and where exactly we
are as we head into the home stretch.
I warned this is a long process, we are asking that folks give up some of
their weekend time to help push this through. Also, we will be talking about
the MLMA, which is looming large over us. You MUST get others who have not
invested time on outreach work to donate their time to this!
There will be RSG reps here, and a lot of the FIN membership.
Time and date: Monday, Aug. 24. 7:00 pm. Location:The local 831 Training
center. 11366 Markon ave. Garden Grove, Ca. 92841. Call me with any
questions: Paul Romanowski. 714-801-5514.

We need to think of locations, staging points, routes, a leader for each location to coordinate that location. The banner messages, media contacts, do we want to hold a potluck after? What location? etc., etc., etc. See you all Monday!

nunyabizness1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Thank you Maggie!!

My Supercrew will be filled with people too! See ya up there!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
comrad_zeelaagee

bummer- i work monday nights.

i'll be thinking of you all.

good luck.
comrad_zeelaagee is offline   Reply With Quote