Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
peguinpower
bing!

Braid vs. Steel

I have a 2000 sized Quantum Catalyst spinner loaded with Powerpro braided line. I use it on the kayak to fish for calicos, sandies and halibut. Its been doing fine for 4 years except last Monday. On a couple of strippers, the rotors suddenly started jerking and going in reverse. Needs cleaning I thought. WRONG!

Here is a pic of the anti-reverse (AR) bearing which is pressed fitted into the anti-reverse clutch assemply. This assembly is held in place by the AR dog. To show the problem, I striped the unit with lines to show the position of the bearing against the AR clutch assembly before putting a load on the rotor. The AR bearing is supposed to hold and allow the dog to take the load of a fish.

Now this is a pic of the same assembly after a 3 pound load is put on the rotor. You will see that the AR bearing has slipped in its housing. Look at how the stripes are now misaligned.

If you own an older spinning reel, they may not last when used with braided line. I have noticed that my newer spinning reels now have larger AR bearings with magnetic mechanism. Only time will tell if those things will last. This particular reel is getting a new AR clutch assembly from the factory. It will see more days, but I will be taking out the braided line.

/bing
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
Siebler

What does braid have to do with this? Seems to me this is caused by a higher set drag along with other factors, not by the fact that you had braid on the reel.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
peguinpower
bing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
What does braid have to do with this? Seems to me this is caused by a higher set drag along with other factors, not by the fact that you had braid on the reel.
this can be looked at many ways and I see your point. the reel companies are making heavy duty small reels for lotsa factors.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
Willy

I'm guessing the implication was the strength of the braid allowed for undue stress on the bearings.

And while it is true some braid is nearly impossible to break before a component in a smaller/lighter reel, drag set properly would be the solution.

I fish braid on a small bay/bass reel and I really have to watch the drag. Keeps me focused.

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
peguinpower
bing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
I'm guessing the implication was the strength of the braid allowed for undue stress on the bearings.

And while it is true some braid is nearly impossible to break before a component in a smaller/lighter reel, drag set properly would be the solution.

I fish braid on a small bay/bass reel and I really have to watch the drag. Keeps me focused.

Willy
what he said he says it better.