Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2009, 07:49 AM   #21
MalibuJohnny

ONE more thing

I also believe that by law if you are aware of an incident that you may have caused and you are at the wheel... you must render aid. If you leave the scene you can be guilty of causing injury and leaving the scene of an accident
Old 08-18-2009, 09:41 AM   #22
Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchjamesarnol View Post
I was out a few weeks ago and one of the cattle boats from seaforth came in hauling ass a good 100 ft away from me while i was making bait. I just put my bow into the wake and held on. I was pissed that the captain didnt show any reguard. There will always be retards, people that dont know any better and people that just dont care. F#@k them!
Yup... The Dolphin will do that to you sometimes.. Okay, ALL OF THE TIME!
Old 08-18-2009, 09:13 PM   #23
CurtyL

A yaker not wearing a PFD is only a danger to himself. You can console yourself with that angle but the fact is you were the one who caused harm to him, not him to himself. You're lucky you didn't run him over. It was in the channel and thus the yakker should have been more careful too, I agree. But you guys know you blast down the sides of the bay, we see it all the time. Your comment about the big bay being too congested is utter BS. Even on a race day it's managable to anyone with half a brain. In the channel maybe it gets hectic, but not the whole bay. It may seem that way to you because you're flying around like a maniac. PS, just what limits do we need to know about - christ we're just sitting there????
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:49 PM   #24
comrad_zeelaagee

curty- you should stop now- you're not representing the rest of us well.
comrad_zeelaagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #25
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Paddling a yak in the bay is just like riding a bicycle on city streets; you have to be defensive. You can rant and rave about bad drivers/boaters all you want, but that isn't going to keep you safe. You have to be observant and never let your guard down. Always be ready to maneuver away from approaching boats. I paddled 3-4 days a week in the bay for a couple of years and I learned my lesson. Always have your head on a swivel and be ready to react. Even the best-equipped boats and good sailors will not see you at times. I've had close calls with Harbor Police boats, Navy Mk-V's and even one of the CBP interceptors. It is just part of paddling in the bay. That's one of the big reasons why I stopped paddling in there.

Cut Tranquility a little slack. The cruise ships and Navy vessels are probably doing close to 10kts in some parts of the channel. Sure he could have slowed a little, but there are plenty of boaters that take the channel much faster. At least he stopped to see if he could assist. That is much more than I would expect from some of the knuckleheads that are out there.

Mission Bay, between the entrance and the 5mph buoys, is even worse than SD Bay. There is lots of traffic, little room to maneuver and you get reflected wakes off the jetties.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #26
CurtyL

Don't have a cow Comrad Z. I speak for me and me only. I don't speak for you or anyone else on this page.
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote