Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
Cbad Mike

First Roll Video

Rolled for the first time while launching from the beach in Carlsbad.
I was going to go to La Jolla but it was getting late so I thought Id give it a go down the street. Before launching while watching the surf a 19.5 inch Corbina swam up onto the sand with a wave. I grabbed it with a smile and thought that it was going to be a good day fishing. I was wrong.

I know that you should always paddle through the wave but after checking to see if I still had my sunglasses on my head I was off balance and what the video does not show was just how fast I was going backwards LOL.

While I did have my $5.99 cooler game clipped and my GoPro strapped on I did not have my 3 rods or anything else leashed. I have no idea how I didnt lose them or atleast have them snap in half.

ENJOY!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgyGy...layer_embedded

Last edited by Cbad Mike; 11-16-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
jorluivil

Yup

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
OutdoorAdvntr

thanks for sharing! now i know what will happens to me if i roll while launching.. nice video editing
OutdoorAdvntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
Pugz
Junior

It happens... As long as you didn't break or lose anything expensive it was a good day.
Pugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
taggermike

That getting sucked backwards is a terrible sensation. Shit happens. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
GregAndrew

Once you had committed to it, I think you did about all you could. If you are moving backward more than just a little bit after attack, you are pretty much along for the ride. I have survived a couple of those by leaning forward as well as into the wave. In a reverse slide, you are extremely front (direction of travel, not kayak) heavy.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Its good you didnt break any rods. Going back like that would be a cool ride.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
2 cents from the peanut gallery...

Thanks for the video- we can all learn from it......yea I looked at it the video twice...and the wave didn't seem all that big...this would be my suggestion...timing of course is everything...but that said...
I would say to wade out a little deeper..to knee or more instead of mid shins...tie everything down ...when the wave hits lean more forward and make sure the paddle is in the water and punch hard through the white water and keep paddling like crazy knowing if you stop you are cooked... you had to hesitated for a couple of seconds because you hat almost fell off and you stopped paddling and that was it...was over because you were sucked backwards...you did keep the kayak perpendicular to the wave in the beginning which is critical...Jim, Kevin, Larry and Josh are the experts and they probably have better advice...

and do NOT feel bad check out this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq6gL...eature=related

here is a video I found but the surf is nothing in the example ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LLg3Z6GHjo

Last edited by Old Man in the Sea; 11-17-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
Cbad Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man in the Sea View Post
Thanks for the video- we can all learn from it......yea I looked at it the video twice...and the wave didn't seem all that big...this would be my suggestion...timing of course is everything...but that said...
I would say to wade out a little deeper..to knee or more instead of mid shins...tie everything down ...when the wave hits lean more forward and make sure the paddle is in the water and punch hard through the white water and keep paddling like crazy knowing if you stop you are cooked... you had to hesitated for a couple of seconds because you hat almost fell off and you stopped paddling and that was it...was over because you were sucked backwards...you did keep the kayak perpendicular to the wave in the beginning which is critical...Jim, Kevin, Larry and Josh are the experts and they probably have better advice...

Thanks for the input. I've watched the video a number of times and see a couple of things I did wrong. It's interesting just how fast everything happens. I'm sure I'll roll again but it won't be because of the mistakes I made on this video.
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #10
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man in the Sea View Post

Those conditions are astronomically bad.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #11
maui jim

You dont surf do you.....

So where is the Video of the incoming landing?

a little chill in the water this time of year...

Thanks for sharing....