Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Cardiff Reef Report

Tuesday was another beautiful day, (just like Monday and most of the last week). I had not been out on my kayak for over a month so I decided to give Cardiff a try.

The bad news is that someone has put up a parking meter in the former Charlie's parking lot. They want $5 to park there these days. The lot, of course, was empty. Let's hear it for good old fashion American greed. The good news is that there was plenty of parking on Coast Hwy south of the restaurants.

Although the wind was up a bit, the surf was very small. I made it out without hitting a swell. The water was clear and not too cold. I peddled to the kelp and worked the beds with a scampi. It was pretty dead. I did manage to catch one small rock fish but that was the end of the action.

The wind and current made it difficult to stay on a spot. Although the fishing was slow, it was such a pretty day that I did not care. After a while I was joined by two pairs of dolphin who were foraging in the kelp. I have never seen dolphin swimming deep in a kelp forest before. They were fun to watch. Maybe they scared away the rest of the fish. My poor luck could not have have any relationship to my poor fishing skills... could it?

Cardiff may not have the bounty that we expect in La Jolla, but for those of us who live in North County, it is a good second choice with easy access and a short paddle, (or peddle) to the beds. I spent a few hours on the water and headed in for an uneventful landing. Life is good.

If anyone has tips on how to coax a few fish out of this location, I would love to hear suggestions.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Cardiff can get hot, La Jolla may be more consistent, but also more crowded. There is a lot of diversity in terms of structure in between the cardiff kelp and seaside... Work outside the kelp around 90- 115 with a big greenie and eventually you will come to love Cardiff.

Bait is usually easy in between the pipe and the kelp or out deeper in 100 ft of water I always find macs on the bottom. Drag one deep and maybe you will find halibut land

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
j mo

Don’t worry it will be a matter of time before someone shoves a bar of wax in the machine- Free parking....

Try the campground area midway between the shore and kelp on a rising tide. There is a lot of good structure in less than 20' of water- which will yield you bass o plenty and as pointed out in other posts larger model flatys.

As far as plastics go- I’ve stuck with scampi (root beer & green/tan glitter) over the years- if it isn’t broke.... It may take you a while to figure out your retrieve but once you do, easy pickings.

I’ve been spending a lot of time in LJ with another buddy since I got my Kayak. I’d say too much time as I haven’t got much to show for it (I can make bait like a pro!) He’s been right, no need to overlook what’s right in your backyard.

These conditions have been epic for launching too; the only real problem with the area. I put on an amazing "yard sale" show for the lunch crowd at The Chart House when I first got my kayak in 3' surf. Broken rods stuff floating everywhere and my fishing buddy laughing at me ( that was the worst part).

It would be cool to fish it up with a few North County guys

Best,
Josh

Last edited by j mo; 02-04-2009 at 07:12 PM.
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
1Flatfish
Wayne

Cardiff

Hey Bob and Josh. Look for the North County Kayak Anglers to put together a fishing get-together for Cardiff soon. Come fish with us. It will most likely be posted on Meetup.com first, then make it's way to theses sites. Join us through Meetup.com (easy and free) and you will always be notified when we have a fishing group get together. I just got back from speaking with Nate Clookie and he's gonna post it up soon I hope.

Wayne
1Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
j mo

will do
Old 02-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
Quilted Germ

Hey Josh, thanks for the memories. I'm sure those at The Chart House won't forget that day either. I look forward to the North County Kayak Anglers showing me how to fish our local grounds....
Quilted Germ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Hey Wayne,

I went to meeting.com but could not find your group listed under "North County Kayak Anglers. Only Plastic Navy show up in north county. Is that the same group? Please send me the link so I can get on the mailing list.

Bob
Old 02-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #8
1Flatfish
Wayne

Join us!

I'm sorry. You're right. I forgot to mention that North County Kayak Anglers are kind of a sub group of Plastic Navy. Go to the Plastic Navy group in Meetup.com And in the upper right corner should be an area to "join us".
Try this link:

http://www.meetup.com/Plastic-Navy-Kayak-Fishing/

If you join, and include your email address, you will be notified about every event sponsored by the Plastic Navy and North County Kayak Anglers. It's fun, free and easy. So....join us!

Wayne

PS. We don't claim to know everything about fishing North County. But when groups of people get together and share information, everybody benefits. Some of us have been fishing North County for a while. Others are new and want to learn and have a good time. Maybe you can show us something!
1Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Thanks Wayne,

I'm in and look forward to getting together with others in our region. Count me in for the Cardiff adventure.

Bob
Old 02-05-2009, 05:39 AM   #10
j mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilted Germ View Post
Hey Josh, thanks for the memories. I'm sure those at The Chart House won't forget that day either. I look forward to the North County Kayak Anglers showing me how to fish our local grounds....
Hey Gregg,
Do you know what I remember most- you catching 0 fish, again....

ZING!
Old 02-05-2009, 06:23 AM   #11
Quilted Germ

Wink Daring

Quote:
Originally Posted by j mo View Post
Hey Gregg,
Do you know what I remember most- you catching 0 fish, again....

ZING!
Pretty daring trying to haze me in public forums. I will take the high road on this one and tell you it wasn't that day that I caught 0 fish, it was the other 4 days we fished out there that I caught 0 fish. I will not use this forum to engage in banter with a guy who needs outriggers more than anyone I know and who has lost more gear than I have purchased. May this be put to rest.
Quilted Germ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:38 AM   #12
j mo

lol -
Old 02-05-2009, 08:00 AM   #13
Trout
Looks are everything

There are no fish in Cardiff anyway. 8" rockfish... if that. All fish are in LJ.

There are no fish in Cardiff anyway. 8" rockfish... if that. All fish are in LJ.

Sincerely,
Obi-Wan Kenobe
Old 02-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #14
PescadorPete

Paddle north. I have the best luck in the reefs off Swami's. I usually park on the PCH, strap on the wheels and head to the beach. If you fish it a lot, it might be worth getting a state park annual pass then you can park right at the beach.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:17 AM   #15
j mo

Dont worry Trout- Its not the most launch friendly area. As was made aware earlier in the post.....
Old 02-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #16
Trout
Looks are everything

I know... just kidding... plenty of room for everyone (kind of ). And I agree, because even when it is "flat" there are always 1-2 footers sneaking in. My favorite story ever is when I finally talked Art (Aguachico) to come fish with me up here. He was at his "playing weight" and I'll be nice and leave it at that. If you know Art, he's a big boy. He had just picked up a OK Cabo, which is actually a 3-man. Classic. He's one of the only guys that I know that can paddle that ship solo. Anyway, as he crept out toward the surfline I stood behind him and told him not to worry and shouted the now infamous quote, "Don't worry, buddy... I got your back!!!" That was the truth until he timed the set as bad as you can and all I saw was a blue missle with a very large Afro-American man comin' right back at me. I doubt he'll fish with me up here again, and it's probably the reason that many others won't frequent this spot a whole heck of a lot!
Old 02-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #17
esdees
The Good Clone

I got the evil eye after taking this one

Art watching and waiting...

I had a fantastic landing that day. Fantastic that I managed not to lose or break anything.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #18
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

That doesn't look too bad for a north county launch.

Next time try it in the dark, but wait for the guys working in the restaurant turn off the spot light, throw in some pea soup fog, and add a few extra feet to the sets , talk about cold shower!

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #19
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I'd sure hate to to the "el rollo" or any of the other stupid kayak tricks some of us have mastered with an un-protected gaff hook pointed at the back of my head. I get chills just thinking about it.

Bob
Old 02-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #20
Trout
Looks are everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
That doesn't look too bad for a north county launch.
That photo from esdees is looking like LJ. Believe me... it was a lot different than that Double the size, eliminate the lull and then take his new kayak and add 3 feet in length (Cabo length), wait for a set and then stand behind it. That story is about 13 years old... so it is improving like fine wine. By 2010 it will be in the impact zone at Pipe with no paddle and I was balancing an apple on my head...