Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Late Catching Report

With all the murky and dirty water I decided to try a new place to fish with my 5 year old son and father in law (12/31/10). I don't plan to post any future reports on this place (since it's not kayak related and it's just trout), but really just wanted to inform some parents of a family friendly place to fish. It may be too far for the OC and San Diego peeps.

We arrived at Jess Ranch Lakes (www.jessranchlakesnews.com) at 7am to very cold weather. We caught our limit by 10:30am with our the biggest trout being a 3lber. The fish were caught using the usual bait and wait offerings. The water is quite clear and the fishing/catching is great.

Jess Ranch is a hatchery so they stock the lakes with trout every week - all year long. The staff is pleasant and even though it was crowded the day we went, I hear it doesn't get too much pressure.

There are some quirks about the lake so if you plan to go read the regulations. Like I said above, I think it's a nice place to take the family or have your kid practice jig fishing.

* If the report is not appropriate please feel free to delete.

roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
taggermike

Thanks for posting and showing the shot of the fillet. The meat from most stocker trout is white and not tastey if you know what trout is supposed to taste like. That fillet looks pretty good. was it? Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
yakrider

I don't know all the rules about posting reports...
but I say...
any report is good report with trout like that!
yummage!

thank you for the information!
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #4
tagyak

thanks for the report. been looking for a place to take me son to. this looks like a great place for him to break in his Batman pole.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
StinkyMatt

Post away Roby. This is a site for fishermen. They like fish. Your son must have been a HERO that day. Could imagine his smiles. Way to go.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
kareem korn

I appreciate the report kayak or not. I need all the friendly lakes I can get. My dad is 95 and uses a walker. I'm going to take him to the santa anna river lakes this week. But, that lake looks easier to access for him.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
garcia0425
Junior

Mt Baldy Trout Pools

I might have to take my daughters there this weekend.

For those interested in another good lake/pond for kids for "easy catch." There's also another place to consider.

Mout Baldy has two ponds, one pond with smaller trout and the second with some much larger fish. Never been to Jess Ranch but I have been to Mount Baldy. Keep in mind these are tiny ponds with clear water, so your kids can see the fish the whole time. My two cents is the Jess is the better deal in price from what I've read (Mout Baldy you pay per fish you catch). But if you want to guarantee your your son/daughter catches a big fish, he can see the fish the whole time, and you're willing to pay for it than Mount Baldy is the way to go.

Here's the link - http://www.mtbaldytroutpools.com
garcia0425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Quote:
Thanks for posting and showing the shot of the fillet. The meat from most stocker trout is white and not tastey if you know what trout is supposed to taste like. That fillet looks pretty good. was it? Mike
The fish tasted great; I had some for lunch. Jess Ranch raises their own trout. I believe these are called the "Ruby Red Trout." I don't know the history behind it, but I'll try to find out. I would put it a notch up from the typical stocker. It taste nowhere as good as a brown trout I have had in the Sierras though.

Found some info on Wikipedia about Ruby Red Trout:

"Rainbow trout is popular in Western cuisine and is caught wild and farmed. It has tender flesh and a mild, somewhat nutty flavor. However, farmed trout and those taken from certain lakes have a pronounced earthy flavor which many people find unappealing; many shoppers therefore ascertain the source of the fish before buying. Wild rainbow trout that eat scuds (freshwater shrimp), insects such as flies, and crayfish are the most appealing. Dark red/orange meat indicates that it is either an anadromous steelhead or a farmed Rainbow trout given a supplemental diet with a high astaxanthin content. The resulting pink flesh is marketed under monikers like Ruby Red or Carolina Red. Steelhead meat is pink like that of salmon, and is more flavorful than the light-colored meat of rainbow trout.[21]"

Quote:
Mout Baldy has two ponds, one pond with smaller trout and the second with some much larger fish....But if you want to guarantee your your son/daughter catches a big fish, he can see the fish the whole time, and you're willing to pay for it than Mount Baldy is the way to go.
I have been to the Mt. Baldy trout ponds and the two places are different experiences. Mt. Baldy really is a catching pond. You can feed the fish with pellets and the ponds are only a rock's throw size wise. The several times I have gone I have tried not to catch fish since it takes "anyone" around 5 minutes to land a fish. Great for kids IMHO. You would never bait and wait here for example...

At Jess Ranch the lakes are still smaller (think Sierra sized), but not pond sized and it's possible not to catch a fish. There were several people I saw that did not catch anything and many families with one fish on the stringer. There were two male adults just to the right of us that didn't catch anything until 20 mins right before closing. It's easy to catch, but you still have to know what you are doing and pay attention to details, especially since the water is clear.

Last edited by roby; 01-03-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Quick pros and cons about Jess Ranch since it does have quirks:

Pros:

* heavily stocked with fish
* small lake setting
* fishing metal and plastic work here on a consistent basis
* "no skunk" policy - go ahead and laugh - haha
* kid friendly
* somewhat low pressure
* easy access to the two lakes
* they have varied pricing depending on what you want to do at the lake

Cons:

* they are strict on catching your limit and not releasing fish; they will actually come out on a cart and mark your wristband/ticket (I don't mind though)
* they were checking stringers and coolers when I went for anglers taking too many fish
* some have complained the fish are on the smaller side (on average they are not Irvine Lake size)
* they are only open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
* it's not the Sierras
* no kayaks allowed!!!!!

Last edited by roby; 01-03-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #10
steveooo

That one big trout looks like it could crap that little one. Pink meat, time with the family, fishing = good fun!
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
gilrockit
Gilrockit

I live down the street from the ranch,The Bass fishing is off the hook in the spring and summer. Also it's a place I take my kids when the bluegill are out, They can be up to a pound. Also they have a no skunk policy which you can get a fish from the hatchery if you're having that kind of day. Also you can catch and release (ALL) but trout. If you get a big Catfish your can trade it for free passes. Been fishing their since 95
gilrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #12
StinkyMatt

Guess where Daddy is taking his little one next. He wants to try the "sit in a chair" fishing.

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #13
ericko

Very cool roby i have the 14th threw 17th off and might take my pricess up with her pink barbie pole....any size fish will be her first and with that will come a HUGE smile on my face
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:28 AM   #14
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericko View Post
Very cool roby i have the 14th threw 17th off and might take my pricess up with her pink barbie pole....any size fish will be her first and with that will come a HUGE smile on my face
damn erick, i was getting excited when read your post about fishing with your daughter. then i looked at the date and realized that we're going to be in s.d. that weekend.
lets go up there the following weekend, perhaps with stinky and brian. i'll bring one of my brats with me too.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #15
StinkyMatt

I think I got that monday off. I'm going...even if Tim flakes out again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
damn erick, i was getting excited when read your post about fishing with your daughter. then i looked at the date and realized that we're going to be in s.d. that weekend.
lets go up there the following weekend, perhaps with stinky and brian. i'll bring one of my brats with me too.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #16
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Good luck fellas...fish it like you would the Sierra's: light line and small tackle/offerings. They have some big fishies in there so watch those drags...

Just a reminder - they're only open on Friday, Saturday, and Sundays.

Quote:
THE PINK BARBIE POLE...enough said..she'll slay them
Old 01-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #17
StinkyMatt

I'd like to go next weekend, if they are NOT open on Monday 17th MLK then that Sunday works for me. Matt
Old 01-05-2011, 10:12 PM   #18
ericko

Roby thank you 4 the heads up ...boys lets make this happen..i will call ya next week.
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #19
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericko View Post
Roby thank you 4 the heads up ...boys lets make this happen..i will call ya next week.
if you read my post, i am going to be in s.d. that weekend. lets go the following w/e jan22