Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
DocHaole

Hooping Long Beach Anyone???

So I've been hooping Dana Point for the start of lobster season but I am getting really tired of all the shorts. The crawl has been great, but after pulling up countless nets with 7 or 8 bugs I still go home with no legals.

I want to give Long Beach a try this week and would be happy to meet up with anyone who knows their way around the harbor.

I am planning on going out Monday or Tuesday, or both. I can be on the beach ready to launch by 5 either day.

Let me know if you are interested
DocHaole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
DocHaole

If no one is down I would really appreciate some advice. Does anyone have a map of where you can and can't hoop?

I was planning on looking for parking on Ocean Blvd and paddling out to island white. Obviously I would avoid the boat dock on the west side but is the rest of the island ok to hoop?

Also, Grissom island looks like a super easy paddle but may be too close to the marina, but what about the breakwater just outside of that island.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking to steal anyone's honey hole, I just want to know where it is legal to hoop, and any advice on how to avoid the PB traffic.

Thanks
Old 10-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
chitown54

I am by no means good at hooping or know the better spots but I do know that you can hoop all around Island White as long as you stay away from the dock area there is also a water fall that runs at night when it isnt broken. It faces the beach so just becarefull and you will be fine
chitown54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
MrM

The last normally scheduled boats that run to those islands usually run around 4 or 5 I believe. There's always a boat running here or there, but I think that's the last normally scheduled run. Otherwise they run on the hour, every hour.

I haven't fished LB at all yet, but I'll be trying out those islands here pretty soon. Gotta put my hoops to the test!
Old 10-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
Mongo Johnson

Let me know if you get a go-time. If timing works, I'd go along as an added pair of hands/eyes. Am a total rook at hooping.

I've had good luck launching from the southern end of things at the Claremont Ramp (catamarans and kiters). Enter the non-trailer lot from the entrance at Bayshore and Ocean. It's a short tug to wheel a yak from the truck to the the ramp and close to the water.

This will put you more toward Island Chaffee and the south breakwater exit. It too gets shuttle traffic.

I do NOT know how the catchin' is and would welcome some general intel on fishin' this end as I like the launch and there is a hoseoff area. There are some related posts but it would be WONDERFUL to hear about this area from those familiar.

Alas, I am a rookie yak fisherman.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
DocHaole

Thanks guys for the posts and PMs, I'll be sure you let you know how it works out.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:11 AM   #7
Schmitthappens
Junior

I hit LBC every now and then and might go tomorrow night. Hit me up 5025949022
Schmitthappens is offline   Reply With Quote