Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

holy water intrusion KAYAK!

took the PA to La Jolla for the first time today (fish BBQ got post poned till tomorrow). it was windy and choppy, no big deal with the peddles.

I noticed the PA likes to takes a lot of water over the bow. something about hobies shitty bow design, trying to emulate an aircraft carrier or something... anyways, it DOES NOT go over large swells and white caps like the X FACTOR did. about half way through the day i had a couple inches of water int the front hatch. when i landed my battery box was completely submerged and the terminals are toast... so that was a good 4.5 - 5" of water. just a few drops in the hull itself.

anyone else have this problem?

im going to try to find some weather seal that will fit it tomorrow. i did that to the front hatch of my old X factor and i could punch though any surf without worry.

the water comming over the bow is a little irritating though since it soaks any rod/reels you have in the tubes.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
Drake

Take the front tub out and it becomes water proof. Huge design flaw I know
Old 10-14-2012, 01:56 AM   #3
Hellboy1500

All I did was find some closed cell foam and line the entire under part of the hatch. I haven't had but maybe a couple drops get my stuff wet. And I get to leave the basket in. Cheapest foam was at Walmart those blue roll out work out mats work well.
Hellboy1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
lowprofile

where did you get the closed cell foam?

i just converted the rear round hatch and container into a battery container. now its off the hull and in a water tight container.

i stole the idea from here

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewt...p?f=78&t=43637
Old 10-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
Hellboy1500

If you try and look around for other types of closed cell foam they are all pretty pricey and this has been the most cost effective means of water proofing the front hatch in order to keep the container in the Kayak. I believe there is an entry made on the innovations thread as well with pictures. not of mine when i get home tonight i will post some for you to show you.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Fitness-Mat-Blue/

The Gold's Gym Textured Fitness Mat provides a well-cushioned, non-slip, supportive surface perfect for Pilates, stretching, and other floor exercises. Made from a closed cell, textured patterned foam, this cushioned fitness mat is durable. In addition, it is impervious to water and sweat. So, you can be sure that it will stand up to any workout. The royal blue color looks truly appealing. This blue exercise mat includes a carry strap to ensure easy portability and storage. fficeffice" />>>
Old 10-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Modify the hatch to prevent water from getting in.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
Hellboy1500

The foam is about 1/2 in thick and because it is closed cell it is not suppose to absorb water. It will also act like in insulator as well to keep your thing cooler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA 14 water proof.jpg (52.2 KB, 88 views)
Old 10-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
lowprofile

sweet deal! i picked up a Harbinger durafoam mat. basically 1/2" of neoprene. cut it to size and used marine goop to make it stick. .. after a flash back to kinder garten art class it stuck in there and sealed the lid just fine.

i also took off the nut and washer and poked a hole through it.