Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Sdspeed

No Kayak yet:( Shore fishing sites

I still haven't scored a kayak yet, too picky I guess. Year end and my fishing license are running down . Does anyone have any suggestions on places in San Diego to fish from the shore. Plus shore line regs are different from a boat or kayak are different ,correct?

i've never had any luck surf fishing so kinda looking for everyday shoreline.
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
I still haven't scored a kayak yet, too picky I guess. Year end and my fishing license are running down . Does anyone have any suggestions on places in San Diego to fish from the shore. Plus shore line regs are different from a boat or kayak are different ,correct?

i've never had any luck surf fishing so kinda looking for everyday shoreline.
I'd honestly recommend surf fishing. but you can always target bass and other fish in the bays.

Mission bay will be filling up with mud marlin soon. you can put that 30lb rig to the test.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
I'd honestly recommend surf fishing. but you can always target bass and other fish in the bays.

Mission bay will be filling up with mud marlin soon. you can put that 30lb rig to the test.
Always worth a try.
so a spinning reel set-up or a conventional reel? What kind of terminal gear, hooks,lure or baits?
where can ya go without catching a tourist? What kind of fish besides rays might I have a chance at?

thanks!
Old 10-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
skrilla

The bay bass fishing gets fun during the cold months. Any 10# setup is fine. I prefer 100-200 size low profile baitcasters and a 6'6-7ft medium to medium-heavy bass rod. Or a 2500 size spinning reel with similar rod.

Smaller plastics such as 3 and 4 inch swimbaits and grubs are killer. 1/4-1/2oz T-rig, dropshot, and weedless jigheads are how I rig em. Scent helps.

As for location, anywhere in the bay you find eel grass, docks, rocks, or any kind of structure all hold bass. Fan cast an area and if it doesn't produce, walk down about 30 yards and repeat.

I was over at Harbor Island shore fishing the other day. Hooked into a handful of dinks and missed just as many bites. The big ones should be hitting the shallows any time now.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
Sdspeed

Thanks much, I can do that. I think I even have enough gear close enough to what your describing to make it fun anyway!

thanks for the tutorial
Old 10-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
jaws197

Sent you a PM.

Lowprofile and Skrilla definitely have the lowdown on the surf and tying onto the UFO's.
jaws197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
lowprofile

Quote:
Always worth a try.
so a spinning reel set-up or a conventional reel? What kind of terminal gear, hooks,lure or baits?
where can ya go without catching a tourist? What kind of fish besides rays might I have a chance at?

thanks!
some people don't like to believe black and white, especially on the interwebz, so ill just post some pics of the fish i get from the surf.

spot fin croaker

calico

CorBina.. no V

perch

soupfin shark

horn shark

leopard shark

shovel nose guitar fish

sand bass

white seabass

bat rays

thresher shark

so there you have it. im sure i left out a couple species.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws197 View Post
Sent you a PM.

Lowprofile and Skrilla definitely have the lowdown on the surf and tying onto the UFO's.
Joe,
I have a few older Diawa reels,
this is an RG2000 Long cast
I have 2 other s but they are much larger. any
thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2091.jpg (125.7 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2092.jpg (127.0 KB, 94 views)
Old 10-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
Sdspeed

Lowpro, wow, thanks for the examples. do you catch and release or selectively keep?
Old 10-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
jaws197

PM sent
jaws197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #11
DanaPT

there are sites that focus on surf-fishing. I love the internet.

http://scsurffishing.com/

now you'll never get any work done.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
there are sites that focus on surf-fishing. I love the internet.

http://scsurffishing.com/

now you'll never get any work done.
thanks, i wasn't aware of that site, and your right I won't ever get anything done now
Old 10-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #13
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Ive never surf fished san diego but ive surf fished before, try a drop shot set up or a hi low rig with a 4 oz pyramid sinker, used some squid or fresh dines. Frozen dines wont work cause theyll fly off the hook. Cast out and wait, youll get a bite. Ive only surf fished at nite or dawn so i cant say anything about daytime fishing but ive always heard night time is better. For lures try a lucky craft flash minnow 110 or anything similiar in size. Fan cast that arond structure for halis and a variety of fish that will hit it. Good luck and post up.
Biggameaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #14
kantstudien

Lowprofile, that's awesome!

You're making me want to fish the surf, that's quite a variety of species you got there
kantstudien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggameaddict View Post
Ive never surf fished san diego but ive surf fished before, try a drop shot set up or a hi low rig with a 4 oz pyramid sinker, used some squid or fresh dines. Frozen dines wont work cause theyll fly off the hook. Cast out and wait, youll get a bite. Ive only surf fished at nite or dawn so i cant say anything about daytime fishing but ive always heard night time is better. For lures try a lucky craft flash minnow 110 or anything similiar in size. Fan cast that arond structure for halis and a variety of fish that will hit it. Good luck and post up.
all great advice everyone, it's really appreciated.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #16
lowprofile

Quote:
Lowpro, wow, thanks for the examples. do you catch and release or selectively keep?
selectively keep. i've caught somewhere around 45 leopards this year and took 4 of them, 2 for me and two for friends. got several big spotfin and only kept one. didn't keep any wsb this year, kept one halibut, and several large perch.

i fish almost every day, so if i kept everything all my holes would be fishless and i'd need a deep freezer.

I was going to get my guide license but decided to re-enlist in the military and headed to Florida. if only i had spent as much time kayaking as do surf fishing. i'd have a freezer full of yellowtain.