Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2015, 07:27 PM   #1
ironcross6921

Hobie XL livewell

Picked up my new bait tank today and must say I really like the way Hobie went with it only complaint I have with it is the bottom of the tank where the drain outlet is. It has 4 phillipshead screws on the bottom that look like with extended use of the bait tank it could wear holes in the deck. It wouldn't have been hard to recess that area. Will be adding/glueing a piece of rubber sheet over that area to prevent damage.
 photo 20150801_130326_zpseernses1.jpg
ironcross6921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:31 PM   #2
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcross6921 View Post
Picked up my new bait tank today and must say I really like the way Hobie went with it only complaint I have with it is the bottom of the tank where the drain outlet is. It has 4 phillipshead screws on the bottom that look like with extended use of the bait tank it could wear holes in the deck. It wouldn't have been hard to recess that area. Will be adding/glueing a piece of rubber sheet over that area to prevent damage.
 photo 20150801_130326_zpseernses1.jpg

Yeah....that's a bad design

You should try making a plastic sleeve, cut some notches for the screws and goop it to the tank. If the sleeve is as deep as the screws it should sit flush.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:32 PM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

Hmmm...good observation...would it have killed hobie to recess that area?
Most likely it probably won't be a problem for a reeeeaaaal long time, but I'm sure the hobie xl live well 2.0 might correct that problem....
Old 08-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #4
TJones

Isn't that tank a little over kill for anything but a PA17?

I modified a standard hobie tank by changing the stock dip tube with a replacement tube of similar diameter but about twice the length . I found this clear flexible tube at the local aquarium shop. I can dictate the water level by raising and lowering the tube . At full height the tank can probably hold about 4 gallons . 15 macs easily . I have probably stuffed more than a couple dozen in there just for giggles and still have enough at end of day to feed the vultures on shore. Two other advantages of this modified tube are that the tank is more stable with the tube sitting deeper in scupper hole , and the other advantage is that the black insert at bottom of tank is less likely to crack from stress because the tube is more flexible and absorbs stress more . If anyone is interested in pics let me know . Hope this might be useful to someone else .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:14 PM   #5
ironcross6921

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
I modified a standard hobie tank by changing the stock dip tube with a replacement tube of similar diameter but about twice the length . I found this clear flexible tube at the local aquarium shop. I can dictate the water level by raising and lowering the tube . At full height the tank can probably hold about 4 gallons . 15 macs easily . I have probably stuffed more than a couple dozen in there just for giggles and still have enough at end of day to feed the vultures on shore. Two other advantages of this modified tube are that the tank is more stable with the tube sitting deeper in scupper hole , and the other advantage is that the black insert at bottom of tank is less likely to crack from stress because the tube is more flexible and absorbs stress more . If anyone is interested in pics let me know . Hope this might be useful to someone else .
A little overkill....probably but had some funds laying around from a sale from my other hobby and said the hell with it. The way I see it I can keep my catch alive longer incase I don't feel like cleaning that single legal calico I caught at the end of a long day and release it. So in the end it boils down to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.
ironcross6921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:48 AM   #6
TJones

The issue of such a large tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcross6921 View Post
A little overkill....probably but had some funds laying around from a sale from my other hobby and said the hell with it. The way I see it I can keep my catch alive longer incase I don't feel like cleaning that single legal calico I caught at the end of a long day and release it. So in the end it boils down to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.
If you put a lot of water in it would be the weight . 4 gallons would be close to 50 lbs and I'm pretty sure the stock tank can hold close to five gallons . The xl could probably hold double that if you wanted it to . That's a lot of extra luggage dragging around for 6 hours or more . Just my 2 cents . Single person yak it's kinda over kill unless your fishing for sharks and using some very large baits .
Old 08-02-2015, 07:16 AM   #7
h2ofishfo

Quote:
im interested in those mods post some pics thanks brah
Old 08-02-2015, 07:21 AM   #8
TJones

Drinking my coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
im interested in those mods post some pics thanks brah
As soon as I splash some water on my face I will get out to garage and snap some pics. I did a few other mods to tank , stolen ideas from other posts . I will gladly share . Just give me a few to piece it together .
Old 08-02-2015, 07:45 AM   #9
h2ofishfo

Quote:
As soon as I splash some water on my face I will get out to garage and snap some pics. I did a few other mods to tank , stolen ideas from other posts . I will gladly share . Just give me a few to piece it together .
👍🏾thanks brah
Old 08-02-2015, 05:45 PM   #10
TJones

Forgive me for jacking

This should be shared in innovations .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (82.8 KB, 132 views)
Old 08-02-2015, 05:47 PM   #11
TJones

Tube is a few years old already

And is slightly damaged at tip .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.5 KB, 129 views)
Old 08-02-2015, 05:53 PM   #12
TJones

This blue tube

On the outlet side is pieced together from some miscellaneous parts from Home Depot pluming section . It can be used to prime and or clear obstructions from pump . And last pic is the new updated intake tip which ideally reduce obstructions from occurring . I also use a bienno light weight 12 amp battery that should last 12 hours plus on water .
Old 08-02-2015, 05:56 PM   #13
TJones

Intake

I can also cap the blue tube which prevents complete drainage in the need of turning power off at pump should arise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (57.1 KB, 131 views)
Old 08-02-2015, 06:02 PM   #14
TJones

Tank is retired with new pump

Refill cartridge from Walmart . No switch and no splice . Directly connected to plug at battery . Since having done these mods , I rarely get blockages or down time on water . Which can be a nightmare if you are by self . Spending 2 hours scratching out a couple greenies only to release them because you have a blockage sucks eggs . .
Old 08-02-2015, 06:04 PM   #15
TJones

Forgive me for jacking

Hope this info is useful to some other users .
Old 08-02-2015, 06:33 PM   #16
YakDout
Brandon

-Cue team sewer hating on others innovations... Lol
YakDout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:56 PM   #17
Team Sewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
-Cue team sewer hating on others innovations... Lol
Cue the haters.........or hater?

Yes, I know, you're trolling and just to make it worth your time I will bite

Happy now?
Team Sewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:57 PM   #18
YakDout
Brandon

Yes, thank you. 😁
YakDout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:17 PM   #19
h2ofishfo

Did you find a 12 volt that fits in the standard 9volt battery holder
Old 08-03-2015, 11:58 AM   #20
TJones

Are you talking about the battery for tank ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
Did you find a 12 volt that fits in the standard 9volt battery holder
You don't want to use a 12 vlt battery , yes it will work but your pump will be turning more rpm's than necessary . Too much gallons per minute . I found a 6 vlt 12 amp slightly taller than the standard 10 amp battery hobie supplies . Battery cover still fits , but not flush with tank . I can live with this dilemma , in exchange for a battery that will last the whole day . I have yet to run it down on a days adventure , 10 to 12 hrs being my longest day this summer . Andy probably has the updated pickup hose for those inquiring , I grabbed mine from fastlane . This upgrade is a huge advantage . Not so restrictive as to clog , but will prevent problems for most of your outings .