Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
EVS911

Pro Angler Surf Launch help!!!!!

Looking for some advise from some experienced kayaker's with pro anglers..I need help and advise about to surf launch from the shores of La Jolla...tips of entry and coming back to shore...paddle or peddal or both...angles....and tips or advise would be great...
EVS911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
m1k3midg3

wait for calm spot and paddle hard and fast while going out. give an extra umph when hitting a wave. for coming in same thing
m1k3midg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:41 AM   #3
jorluivil

Best thing to do is just to get out there and watch the others. The only suggestion I can make on the landing is to do what I do. As soon as I get to a point where my paddle can touch bottom I jump off and walk the yak in. Most yakkers will ride the waves in, I choose not to take a chance and just walk my yak in.

Two Sundays ago my buddy and I were fishing LJ, he wasn't feeling well so he decided to head in early. Well, long story short, he got tossed and from what he tells me it wasn't pretty. After inventory he was missing a box of sinkers................and some pride.

When I headed in I noticed that the waves were cresting and crashing in about 4' of water. I paddled in after a wave crashed and as soon as I had the chance I jumped off and walked my yak in, glad I did because I was hit from behind by two 3 footers.

JUST DO IT!!!!
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
Riskey Water

If you're new at this game then I would suggest a few practice runs without your gear paddling in and out,stay perpendicular to the wave , everyone gets unseated at least once so stow your gear and tie down the rest .Good luck and good fishing
Riskey Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
WahooUSMA

I haven't rolled it (yet) on my Pro-Angler, but its only a matter of time, that I am certain of. Best advice - Web Cam and surf updates. If its going to be relatively small, then I take the Pro-Angler, anything over 3 and in quick sessions, the PA stay's home and out comes the Revo. I just don't go out anymore in large surf. Its not worth the hassle. From those that I have talked to who have tossed it in the surf on the PA, you tend to go under the boat and get banged up a little bit. I've been tossed more than I would like to admit on my Revo - haven't lost anything in the process, but that F-ing bait tank hurts like hell when it smacks you upside the head.

I think I am that master at ditching the boat as soon as I can touch bottom (usually waist to chest deep), grabbing the bow or bow handle and hauling ass up the beach trying to out run the next in-coming set. You look stupid doing it, but who cares....Hobies aren't meant to surf, especially the PA!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
EVS911

thanks for the advise guys...think I will go out without the gear first...then with the gear...but great advise on the webcam...pure genius...
Old 08-31-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
Nic D

I took my dads out the week before last and it was no problem heading out. Just keep it pointed straight.

The landing part was a little more tricky. working the rudder is a little more challenging than the rudder on my outback. not as much control then when you turn the knob to keep it straight, it really wanted to go that direction.. so I would suggest making smaller adjustments with the rudder. I did manage to keep it straight and surfed a 2 footer all the way into ankle deep water. P.S. I peddled, who can paddle that thing?

if you do end up turned into the wave, lean very hard into the wave. kinda like skiing or boarding... gotta keep that down hill edge off the snow, same with the PA. its possible to lean into the wave and ride it sideways all the way to the shore.
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Key advice - when you lean hard into that wave, hold your paddle out and drag it flat side to the wave and when you pick up speed, you can lean on it and literally tripod yourself on it.
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:56 PM   #9
EVS911

very nice advise...
Old 09-03-2010, 07:26 AM   #10
taggermike

Bracing in to the wave is vital. Put your paddle flat in to the white water and lean on it. It only takes a second of leaning toward the beach to catch your edge and flip. It's similar to hanging te down hill edge on a snow board. And once you catch it on a yak it's about impossible to recover. One last thing, if you wipe out while leaning in to the white water you end up between the wave and the kayak. This means the yak is moving away from you. If you fall toward the beach the yak is between you and the wave and the you're in the path of your yak. I've never been on a Pro Angler but I can tell you that you don't want to get hit or run over by any thing that big and heavy. Like an earlier poster said, you should leave the gear at home and do a little practicing in the surf zone so you'll know how your boat responds to various conditions because landing in the crowded launch area in LJ is no time for surprises. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote