Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 07:04 AM   #1
spongebob_82

la jolla 4/29

Went out with godspeed619 sunday morning. Hit the water at about 5:45. Made bait and headed for the floatila. Trolled a rapala the way there with only a few kelp stringers to show for. The floatila ended up being a dead zone. Desided to drop a flylined mack back and fished the edge of the kelp for cuda and bass. Lots of bait on the egde. Godspeed managed a cuda w/ a hands free release . My flyline goes off as we were about to leave. Let her eat it for a good count. Set the hook and feel that awesome fresh bend in my line. The kayak put up a wake for about 5 second and then i felt the hook pull. what went wrong after that i was done. mad at myself and mad that i still havent got a bait .

On a side note: Our radios picked up a call to the coast gurad about a airplane going down up at carlsbad beach. It gave me an uneasy feeling while out on the water. I guess they were able to get two of the crew from the plane.
spongebob_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
Dennis

Thanks for the report. Looks like no one survived that plane crash, if it was the same one in the UT. Unfortunate.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob_82 View Post
what went wrong

Too tight of a drag??

If that was cool, there's only one thing it could have been - it wasn't meant to be.

Not today anyway.

There's always manjana.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:08 AM   #4
spongebob_82

Nope. One thing is for sure... My gear is always set right. Just must not have meant to be.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:22 AM   #5
FISHIONADO

Seems like the YT and WSB will bite and feel the bait with their lips and make sure it feels right and then swallow it several seconds later. If you pull too soon you'll pull the bait before it was swallowed. I've reeled in many crushed baits that I pulled on too soon. 5 seconds feels like 20 when the clicker is singing. And then sometimes after the fish gulps the bait the hook will still find a way to slip out without finding a lip to sink into. When I say pull I really mean put the reel in gear and let the rod load up itself. But I really don't know about what I just said, anyone?
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:52 AM   #6
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
When I say pull I really mean put the reel in gear and let the rod load up itself. But I really don't know about what I just said, anyone?
agreed... I do not set the hook, even with J-hooks, which is what I use.. Treat them like circle hooks... I let the clicker sing... throw in gear, hold rod steady.. when it loads up, then I give it a slight set... I dislike circle hooks.. I know people have a lot of success with them, but unless the YT smokes my bait, I used to miss a lot of hookups... I got to admit, they did set nicely, when properly executed.. to many hearbreaks, never more...

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:52 AM   #7
jscott

Spongebob,

I love your avatar!!

-scott
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #8
spongebob_82

Thanks, I thought it was fitting for my call sign.

Besides, you know how long it took to bribe her to put that damn thing on!

F.Y.I. guys... I never set the hook on my fish either. I always allow it to come tight on its own and then give it a nice little pump. Waite!... Am I still talking about fishing?

Last edited by spongebob_82; 05-02-2007 at 02:18 PM.