Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #21
live2fishy
Fish killer

I have a westmarine pump and I have had it maybe 5 years it still works great best 29$ I have spent. Buy one even if you think you'll never use it
live2fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #22
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
I agree with the other poster about NOT removing the drain plug. Screw in, screw out, over time the plastic won't seal anymore thus causing leakage or worse. My drain plugs are sealed with 5200.

Time to reconsider about the importance of private boaters when you have a situation as described. Some guys really bash them....not me.
seriously. I'm very grateful for their presence yesterday.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #23
roadx

smart keeping your cool. I know I will be budding up from now on. It just makes since. Hopefully you didn't loose any gear.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #24
blitzburgh

Glad you're OK man!
Old 05-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #25
GregAndrew

The dangerous irony with these situations is that instinct tells most people to stay on their yak when the smart thing may be to jump in the water. If you have taken on a noticeable amount of water in less than flat conditions. And it has made your yak unstable or very low to the water line. You should probably not open a hatch to pump the water out without getting off. Getting off does several good things for you. It makes your yak more stable by lowering its center of gravity. It raises it in the water line (hopefully above the chop). It allows you to access parts of your yak that you may not be able to reach atop it. And it allows you to position your body to block the swell/chop from washing into the hatch you are pumping out of. Complacency is probably the most dangerous thing for us kayakers. I am guilty of it big time. But having a plan for what to do when the stuff hits the fan can help greatly.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #26
CheapPelican

If you keep your hand pump below deck, secure it so it dosent float back out of reach when your hull starts to fill up. Happened to me once. . I just run my ff battery cable through the handle.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #27
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post
smart keeping your cool. I know I will be budding up from now on. It just makes since. Hopefully you didn't loose any gear.
I lost a couple things. A plano box of irons. A teramar spinning combo and a gaff. The gaff I'm sure is floating somewhere along the kelp line. The Lost gear was of little concern at the time and is a small price for a valuable lesson. I have a new respect for our ocean and conditions and when this happens again I will know exactly what to do.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #28
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
The dangerous irony with these situations is that instinct tells most people to stay on their yak when the smart thing may be to jump in the water. If you have taken on a noticeable amount of water in less than flat conditions. And it has made your yak unstable or very low to the water line. You should probably not open a hatch to pump the water out without getting off. Getting off does several good things for you. It makes your yak more stable by lowering its center of gravity. It raises it in the water line (hopefully above the chop). It allows you to access parts of your yak that you may not be able to reach atop it. And it allows you to position your body to block the swell/chop from washing into the hatch you are pumping out of. Complacency is probably the most dangerous thing for us kayakers. I am guilty of it big time. But having a plan for what to do when the stuff hits the fan can help greatly.
Greg that makes perfect sense and at several times I considered it as I was telling jorge. I think you nailed it with mentioning complacency. I really did not want to get in the water. I thought getting to the boat was the best course. First thing I'm doing is gooping my drain plug shut. Then I'm buying a hand pump and mounting it to the underside of my rod pod hatch lid with industrial velcro.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #29
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I have a short 5' rope tied to my front handle mount which goes under the front hatch and is ran through my spare paddle and my hand pump. The rope keeps the safety items from sliding out of reach. I can access them through my side hatches or the front hatch. They were one of the first items I bought for my kayak, and hopefully I'll never need them.

When paddling my kayak I sometimes look at the scupper hole by my feet for water level. I know where that water level should be and would start investigating if the water seemed higher than normal. I've always assumed the kayak, if taking on water, would sit level while lowered in the water. Thanks for this report because now I will think about the possibility of the rear sinking lower than the front, which means my habit of looking at the forward scupper for water level monitoring might not work.

This also means that even a bilge pump mounted in the lowest part of the kayak might be ineffective if the kayak sits in an out of level condition when filling with water.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:09 AM   #30
bluesquids

You can bungie a hand pump inside your yak under the cockpit center consul. It will be out of the way and you can forget about it, until the day comes you need it.
I used deck loops for attachments inside, with matching ones backing them on the outside.

Also, it's likely you'd have to jump in the water to pump it out, because you might be riding so low that water will rush in the hatch when you open it.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #31
Jimmyz123

Glad to hear you made it through without any major losses most importantly your life. Something I was told was never leave the safety of your Kayak if you don't have to. I've read some post saying to get out of the Kayak and install the plug. I think you did it the right way. The getting flipped part, no one could see that one coming. I like Ful-Rac's bilge pump idea and may be doing that also.

Install that drain plug and don't remove it. Also seeing how your in a Moken, do a leak test on your front hatch seal. I know a lot of previous owners of Mokens that had leak issues and they were not minor leaks. Heck everyone should leak test their kayaks. Some leaks are going to happen, but when water fills up like a bath tub, that's not right.

Glad you're O.K. man.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #32
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
I have not removed my drain plug since I bought my trident 15. What little water gets into my kayak, I just use those big huge home depot painter sponges to squeeze it out. I would marine goop all the areas that water can get into, and reinforce the seal on the bigger hatches. Then you don't have to worry about it the drain plug so much.

what he does^^^^^

Wind is not your friend on a kayak. I've learned to not like anything above 11 mph.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #33
Raskal311

Dang... I'm a bit iffy about heading out solo after these two post now On my check list the first thing is check drain plug and a bit future down is check radio battery.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #34
socal.beach.bum

As tempting as it is at times, I NEVER NEVER go out alone for these exact reasons. Alone inside the harbor sure, outside in the open water NEVER.
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #35
momo fish

Yeah I know the feeling. Keep in mind I have been out alone plenty of times and in conditions almost as bad so never figured it would happen to me and it did. If I go solo it will only be if I see others out and will ask to join them or stay close to shore.

It's not worth it, even for a seabass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
Dang... I'm a bit iffy about heading out solo after these two post now On my check list the first thing is check drain plug and a bit future down is check radio battery.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #36
chxh8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Then I'm buying a hand pump and mounting it to the underside of my rod pod hatch lid with industrial velcro.
This is what I did with my pump. Beauty of the mod pod is that there are all those structural supports running underneath it. You can drill through those to attach bungee rather than drilling through the hatch itself to attach bungee underneath. Less holes to worry about water entering.
chxh8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #37
erinoo

I had a similar experience some years ago. Luckily for me I was with a couple of my peeps. It could have been real serious. What I learned is: ALWAYS, ALWAYS were your PFD, regardless how good of a swimmer you think you are or how macho you think you are. fficeffice" />>>
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #38
theluckypig

a trick i learned from "Kiyo" (the legend) after having an incident of taking on water and almost sinking a kayak: if your hull fills with water, disconnect your bait tank intake line from the tank and stick the pump into your hull to pump the water out... (of course only that works if you have your pump dragging alongside the kayak)
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #39
octico

You and that drain plug ....

Dude glad your ok! That should definitely be on your checklist.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:48 PM   #40
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
Dude glad your ok! That should definitely be on your checklist.
I know, I know. Seriously it's getting sealed tonight.