Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #1
Dave Legacy

Is a Penn 15 too small?

Hey all,

I've got some incentive points to burn at work and I was think about getting a reel to use on the kayak. There's really only a limited selection of reels, so I don't get to be picky about sizes. I was thinking about trying a Penn Squall Star Drag 15 for flylining, deadsticking, and general medium-sized tasks. The furthest south I fish is Dana Point, so I wouldn't be actively targeting yellowtail and I have a Daiwa Sealine-40 to fit that category anyway.

Is a Penn 15, rated to hold 190/20# mono, a useful kayaking reel? I searched around a bit and it doesn't seem like many favor the smaller star drags, but most of those conversations were based around an interest in YT.

If you guys use conventional non-levelwind reels this small what do you use them for and how have you line'd them.

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Dave
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:03 AM   #2
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Probably not my first choice in reel sizes but sure, why not? 20# line or 50# braid and plenty of drag. I'd find a use for it.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:40 AM   #3
Apex

My go to rod and reel for flyline, Phenix m1 inshore 15-45lb. Paired with a Penn Fathom 15. I have landed yellowtail to 40lbs. Lucky rod caught many fish on this setup never fails... (65lb spectra to the top around 200 yrd)-plenty.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
BIG JOAQUIN

The 15 size is great for the tasks you mention.

If possible, you might want to spring to the Fathom model as it is cast aluminum and a better all around reel compared to the squall.

The only thing i should mention is that when you step down to the 15 size is that you should also be looking at the large bait-casters like the Okuma Komodo 350/Daiwa Lexa 300/400, Shimano Curado 300 which make great 20lb reels and cast even easier than small conventionals.

Fun sizes that can handle some big fish with braid.

Good luck.
BIG JOAQUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:41 PM   #5
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
My go to rod and reel for flyline, Phenix m1 inshore 15-45lb. Paired with a Penn Fathom 15. I have landed yellowtail to 40lbs. Lucky rod caught many fish on this setup never fails... (65lb spectra to the top around 200 yrd)-plenty.
It'd go Fathom, but where I'm redeeming my credit it's not an option. I really don't know how these corporate fulfillment centers work, but the options are limited. I'm not spending cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JOAQUIN View Post
The 15 size is great for the tasks you mention.

If possible, you might want to spring to the Fathom model as it is cast aluminum and a better all around reel compared to the squall.

The only thing i should mention is that when you step down to the 15 size is that you should also be looking at the large bait-casters like the Okuma Komodo 350/Daiwa Lexa 300/400, Shimano Curado 300 which make great 20lb reels and cast even easier than small conventionals.

Fun sizes that can handle some big fish with braid.

Good luck.
The big baitcaster is a good suggestion, but I have a Curado 300E. I also have a couple Abu Garcia C3s and a Lexa 100. I feel like I have a lot of the bass gear bases covered from spotties to XH applications (at least as far as swimbaits go). I was planning on using my C3 6500 for drifting bait for Halibut since it seems like even big halibut don't require gear that's too beefy. I'm not sure I really "need" a small star drag. =)
Old 01-05-2017, 02:47 PM   #6
Apex

Squall is essentially the same reel as the fathom. Spins like a top and pretty versatile tool to have.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #7
monstahfish

Use the 15 for everything. I've caught a pile on my avet sxj and saltiga 20 and never worried about running out of line. Big thing to think about is small tackle is not a big problem on a kayak because the boat goes with the fish. You can get on top of fish very quickly and turn it into a vertical battle. How often are you fishing deeper then 300 feet where this could become an issue? I see people lugging around huge reels and I think it's hilarious because it's so overkill.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #8
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahfish View Post
Use the 15 for everything. I've caught a pile on my avet sxj and saltiga 20 and never worried about running out of line. Big thing to think about is small tackle is not a big problem on a kayak because the boat goes with the fish. You can get on top of fish very quickly and turn it into a vertical battle. How often are you fishing deeper then 300 feet where this could become an issue? I see people lugging around huge reels and I think it's hilarious because it's so overkill.
Cool, I'm gonna get one. I'm not usually fishing very deep anyway and I like smaller reels. I have a boat load of growing boys too, so having some reels around of manageable size for smaller hands will be a good thing.

Thanks for helping me make an educated decision, y'all.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:35 AM   #9
PapaDave

Looks like a good reel.

I use light setups all the time, Calcutta 100 or a Lexa 100. For bass, halibut, leopards and seals, works great.

Okay, maybe not on seals...
Old 01-06-2017, 06:45 AM   #10
Harry Hill

I was a little worried the other day that the dolphin hanging out next to my kayak would grab the mackerel I was soaking and tear up my Sealine 20 but it never touched the bait, I was ready to cut the line though if it started running off with the bait.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:49 AM   #11
Mahigeer

It will be a good bait fishing setup.

You can use it with the Ahi Bait Stick.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:55 PM   #12
skrilla

Pen15 too small LOL?

OOoh... Penn 15.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:23 AM   #13
monstahfish

Quote: