Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
Racksticker
Junior

Avet Reels for YT/WSB

Looking for opinions on which Avet reel models to use with Seeker live bait rods.

It seems like there are so many Avet models and features to choose from and is a bit confusing

Is it worth the extra cash to get a 2 speed and/or MC features for YT/WSB ?

Thanks
Racksticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Seems like a lot but it's not too hard to figure out. Multiple classes of reel (SX, MX, JX, etc...), each class has multiple options (wide-L/narrow-J frame, MC cast, etc..)

For kayak fishing a SX should do everything you need. I've used one for everything from bass to 5' sharks. If I were to add another to my bag I'd go with a MXJ or MXL depending on line type/amount I plan on using. You probably don't need 2 speed unless you're taking it offshore, you probably don't need MC if you're not tossing irons with it, and a Raptor probably has more drag than is useful on a kayak. Hope that helps a little.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

^^2. I use a MXJ raptor which is way overkill, but I also use that on charters up to 3 days so far. I just wanted a reel that could do it all. I have found that reel!
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
kobra

The sx should handle anything from a kayak. I wouldn't recommend the mc feature or 2 speed but that's more of a personal decision.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
ironcross6921

I use a SX Raptor and a SX as my "heavy" duty rods for the kayaks. The Raptor is way overkill unless fighting a big fish heading for the bottom otherwise you just get towed everywhere before the extra drag power comes into play.
ironcross6921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
grey zone

JX is a nice size reel and will hold all the 50 lb spectra you will need. I have a single and a 2-speed. I would save the money and get a single speed if you only plan on using it locally. The 2-speed is nice but rarely needed and the low gear is too slow for fighting a fish that is fired-up.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #7
Lipripper92592

The SX is too small for YT and WSB.....check out the drag rating...unless you are fishing 15-20lb.....the SX does not carry the necessary drag rating. I'm running a few MXL's with 30lb floro leader with 8-10lbs of drag.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
Raskal311

The mxl seems like a really good all around reel.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:07 PM   #9
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipripper92592 View Post
The SX is too small for YT and WSB.....check out the drag rating...unless you are fishing 15-20lb.....the SX does not carry the necessary drag rating. I'm running a few MXL's with 30lb floro leader with 8-10lbs of drag.

I'm not sure what you're looking at? The SX and the MX have the same exact drag ratings... 9lb at strike 14lb at full. The difference is only line capacity and a slight gear ratio increase for the MX (5.8:1 vs 5.3:1). The SX and MX both should be good for up to 40# to 50# fish.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #10
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
I'm not sure what you're looking at? The SX and the MX have the same exact drag ratings... 9lb at strike 14lb at full. The difference is only line capacity and a slight gear ratio increase for the MX (5.8:1 vs 5.3:1). The SX and MX both should be good for up to 40# to 50# fish.
I was thinking the same thing. To lazy to verify though.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #11
ironcross6921

Quote:
SX with 14# drag has been plenty for the 40+# YF (charter boat) I was catching this year and my SX raptor with 26# drag has been a beast.
ironcross6921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #12
RobFish
Massive Member

Pretty much all I fish are Avet reels and I only have Seeker rods.
I own two star drag reels, a Penn Senator on a Seeker 660H Black Steel, and a Diawa Saltist 40 on a custom 8' D8 jigstick.
Other than that, it's a SXJ on a Black Steel 870-7 20# rod, a SX on a Seeker American 670, and an MXJ on a Black Steel 665 30# rod.
All reels are single speed. All reels spooled with 65 braid, except the SXJ which I put 50 on. I always use a 4-6 foot topshot of flouro.
I've pulled in 30#+ YT and 40#+ WSB on them. No problem. The only time that you'd have any concern would be when using straight mono as you'd be limited on line capacity. Remember that on a kayak, you can get towed around a bit, where on a boat you must have that line capacity for the running fish.
Love the Avet product. I like a lighter weight set up in my hands, as it allows me to fish longer with less fatigue on my wrists. Smaller is lighter.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #13
T-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcross6921 View Post
SX with 14# drag has been plenty for the 40+# YF (charter boat) I was catching this year and my SX raptor with 26# drag has been a beast.
Ditto, SX's are tough little reels -- I've used my three for YT, WSB 20# tuna with no problems. If you want a similar size small reel with bigger capacities check out the Release SG -- 30# drag and holds 500 yds of 50# braid.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #14
blazian

Yes Sx is the one. I have boated dozens with it, it can handle about any yellow.
I have the Mx and Lx as well but those aren't as good with live bait. I run 25lb flouro topshot with 65 lb braid backing.
blazian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #15
Lipripper92592

Quote:
The SX is rated 10-25lb
The MX is rated 15-30lb

Most rods and reels are designed and built to handle the middle range rating, some do better higher, others lower. But you never want to run the max drag on any reel, you are just asking for problems. Premature wear on the drivetrain and drag surfaces will result. Also remember that the more line that comes off your reel, the tighter the drag effect becomes, so the SX at half spool, will have a much higher drag ratio than the larger spool reels.
I've seen Tred Barta fight a huge marlin on a SX with 4lb test, but would I want to do that.....
Also, if you are fishing La Jolla, and are around the kelp and dogs, you are going to want that fish to get to the yak as soon as possible, heavier line test, and rod will help.
And yes the drag ratings are the same for both.

If you are running 25-30% of your line rating at the drag, running 20lb test on the SX will max you out at 6lbs of drag.
Do you want to handle a large fish around kelp and dogs with only 6lbs of drag?

I am running about 8-10lbs of drag on the MXL with 30lb floro leader but it still feels a bit loose when hooked up.

The SX is a bad *ss reel, and nice and light. Check out Charkbaits youtube videos about setting drag and matching up rods and reels.

Robfish setups seem matched pretty darn well, and could be used for examples.

Last edited by Lipripper92592; 11-11-2014 at 12:08 PM. Reason: name
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #16
Racksticker
Junior

Lipripper / Robfish - This is really good additional info.

I've dissected the Avet chart on Tackle Direct and changed my reel selection from two Avet 2-speed w/ MC reels, (SX & MX), to the single-speed SXJ & MXJ w/ no MC models. This saves me quite a bit of cash ;-)

Initially I was trying to accomplish the goal of using these Avet's for both Kayak fishing and boat fishing. I looked again at all my rod & reel inventory at home. I decided I have enough single and 2-speed reels with heavier rods for boat trips, so I can use these 2 new Avets and Seeker Pinheads primarily for my kayak.

Over the years, I try to pass along money saving / hunting tips to the newbies to duck & deer hunting. Now being a newbie to kayak fishing, it's great having all you *salty-dudes* pass your years of knowledge down the Sewer.....Pipe ;-) (Still trying to figure out what is behind the Team Sewer thing, cracks me up)

Thanks much!!!!!!
Racksticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #17
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racksticker View Post

I've dissected the Avet chart on Tackle Direct and changed my reel selection from two Avet 2-speed w/ MC reels, (SX & MX), to the single-speed SXJ & MXJ w/ no MC models. This saves me quite a bit of cash ;-)

Initially I was trying to accomplish the goal of using these Avet's for both Kayak fishing and boat fishing. I looked again at all my rod & reel inventory at home. I decided I have enough single and 2-speed reels with heavier rods for boat trips, so I can use these 2 new Avets and Seeker Pinheads primarily for my kayak.

Over the years, I try to pass along money saving / hunting tips to the newbies to duck & deer hunting. Now being a newbie to kayak fishing, it's great having all you *salty-dudes* pass your years of knowledge down the Sewer.....Pipe ;-) (Still trying to figure out what is behind the Team Sewer thing, cracks me up)

Thanks much!!!!!!

Not sure what your active count on security tokens is, but to find out the origin of team sewer I think you have to spend about 20-30 tokens. Someone might be able to chime in on this...??
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #18
ful-rac
Emperor

I can confirm that the sxj is a bad ass little reel. It's basically good for about 80-90% of the fishing I do on my kayak. Live bait fishing, for halibut, seabass, black seabass, leopard shark, mud marlin, bat rays, yellowtail it works just fine.

Now fishing a jig....not so much, not saying it wont work but a bigger reel is definitely in order.

Now whats behind team sewer...?

Fun and a lot of it!
Old 11-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #19
steveoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racksticker View Post

Thanks much!!!!!!
Charkbait.com has the same price as Tackledirect, but charkbait has specials with free 300yds braid or mono...FYI save a few pennies on line...I think they offer other options if you don't need line...
steveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #20
RobFish
Massive Member

I personally am always glad to help out, as are most.
As far as my personal setups, it took my years to truly dial it in. For some setups, I like an all-glass rod, others a little graphite added in helps out. Sometimes for increased feel, sometimes for more power.
Ful-rac nailed it on the head, this is all just fun. Nothing but a good time, and good friends. Not really a whole lot more to it than that.
What's behind the Lollipop Guild? Just catch a fish to find out. Easy as that.
Now, security tokens are a whole different story. Just sayin'.