Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2016, 02:12 PM   #1
Harry Hill

Newport 6/25

I didn't get on the water until about 8, just after low tide. Tons of people fishing today, kayaks, skiffs, pleasure boats, all over the bay. The fishing was slow though for us. Just fishing swim baits and soaking some squid. Picked up a 12" spot and lots of short bites and finished off with about a 8" calico. Off the water about 11:30. I talked with a couple of guys cleaning their Hobies, and I've forgotten their names, one had a Toquedo on his Hobie, man that thing could move out. They gave me some good clues on catching halibut, I really appreciate that. The swells at the mouth were really big so we didn't venture out of the bay but I talked with some sea kayakers who said once you got past the opening it smoothed out. My wife doesn't like the big stuff so it was better we stayed in. All in all a good day but I really don't have that tandem set up well for two people fishing out of it.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:57 PM   #2
Dave Legacy

I still haven't done any serious two person fishing from my tandem yet, but I figure anything that involves a lot of casting is out. Fishing with one of my kids (oldest is 10) has worked out fine.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:11 PM   #3
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
I still haven't done any serious two person fishing from my tandem yet, but I figure anything that involves a lot of casting is out. Fishing with one of my kids (oldest is 10) has worked out fine.
Two adults sits you low in the water. We can both cast okay, the guy in the back just needs to watch what the front person is doing. The biggest problem is getting the back rods out of the way when you are both paddling, If the rod is to far forward the front guy hits the rods with his paddle and if too far back the back paddler is hitting the rod. The scuppers never drain and I get a wet butt no matter what.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:23 PM   #4
Amish Ed

Sorry it was so slow. At least you got though. How was the wind?
Old 06-25-2016, 07:57 PM   #5
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Sorry it was so slow. At least you got though. How was the wind?
the wind was real light, the incoming tide got pretty strong and moved us along good. I need to start taking my anchor so I can hold position. I don't mind slow fishing, I just love fishing so a couple landed was a bonus. I was g. etting a lot of short strikes on the Z-man but those lures are tough. I caught the spotty on the white fluke. I talked with a lot of kayakers today an no one seemed to be doing any better. I guess the guys up by the bait barge were catching a bunch of small calicos. There was a guy right by the CC beach entrance in a pontoon belly type boat that hooked into something really big, he fought it for at least a half hour before it broke him off. He was fishing a pretty light rod I think because he couldn't lift it off the bottom. I watched him for a long time, he would gain a little line they it would take it back. Maybe a big halibut or a bat ray, I don't know if he ever saw it.
How is Steve feeling and how is your back? My old rotator cuff injury flared up today and got a little uncomfortable. I think I irritated it by starting to do push ups again, I noticed I was sore afterwards, I guess I'll knock those off.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:00 PM   #6
Amish Ed

We're both feeling better. We are thinking about hitting MB on thur or Fri.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:37 PM   #7
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
Two adults sits you low in the water. We can both cast okay, the guy in the back just needs to watch what the front person is doing. The biggest problem is getting the back rods out of the way when you are both paddling, If the rod is to far forward the front guy hits the rods with his paddle and if too far back the back paddler is hitting the rod. The scuppers never drain and I get a wet butt no matter what.
I'm using rod holders that are attached to my rear-most seat so that I can hold 4-rods in the back. The middle two rod holders are pretty much useless. Having two rods in the bow flush mounts while under way is just weird.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:52 PM   #8
Harry Hill

Quote:
We're both feeling better. We are thinking about hitting MB on thur or Fri.
let me know which day, I will meet you guys if I can
Old 06-25-2016, 08:54 PM   #9
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
I'm using rod holders that are attached to my rear-most seat so that I can hold 4-rods in the back. The middle two rod holders are pretty much useless. Having two rods in the bow flush mounts while under way is just weird.
I'm still working things out, it's fine when I'm fishing solo. My other problem is tackle boxes, I tend to carry to much gear. Today I took a bigger box and it was horrible in the way.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:29 PM   #10
Dave Legacy

Quote:
I'm still working things out, it's fine when I'm fishing solo. My other problem is tackle boxes, I tend to carry to much gear. Today I took a bigger box and it was horrible in the way.
Yeah, I don't have a great solution for that either. I have been thinking about maybe securing down a sweater box type of container inside the hull under the large rectangular hatch to hold such things. I use a crate when solo. I have a waist pack that holds a few 3700-sized trays that I clip to the front seat. It works well, but I have my doubts that it will stay put it I roll over. I'm actually starting to rather enjoy the legroom I get when using this kayak solo.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:07 AM   #11
ROSSOLY

Harry, did you try fishing the bait barge area?
ROSSOLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #12
Amish Ed

Quote:
let me know which day, I will meet you guys if I can
Will do.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:40 PM   #13
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSOLY View Post
Harry, did you try fishing the bait barge area?
No, it was crowded up there and I hate dealing with the dogs. I talked with a few guys who did fish up there and they said everyone was catching shorts. The guys from team Daiwa gave me some good help on halibut fishing I think so I will concentrate on that next. I really want to catch a keeper halibut.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:41 PM   #14
Harry Hill

Quote:
Will do.
Thursday looks better for me but I can move things around and do Friday if that is best for you guys.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #15
Amish Ed

We're on for Fri as i'm busy Thu. 6am at the ski beach launch ramp.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #16
Harry Hill

Quote:
We're on for Fri as i'm busy Thu. 6am at the ski beach launch ramp.
I will be there if I can