Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

3/20 When seals attack

There were alot of harbor seals out, this one was with mama, they came right over and I thought they were gonna hop onboard. My paddle was just layed across and I guess it thought it was sneaking up on me

Fishing was slooooooooow, bait at the pier was tooooooough, only made 2, one calico for my morning, only fish seen were occasional bonito boiling.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
wavster

I take it you didn't get the lizardfish today?

Cool pict...
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
There were alot of harbor seals out, this one was with mama, they came right over and I thought they were gonna hop onboard. My paddle was just layed across and I guess it thought it was sneaking up on me
Reminds me of one night hoopin when a little seal tried to climb aboard. Startled the crap out of me. Had to club it with my paddle to get it to leave me alone.

At least the seals in LJ are not that good at stealing bait. Our last trip down south we had one large harbor seal that was relentless. Unlike the dogs that you know are around, he'd go under for a good while, making you think he was gone, only to appear with your bait in his mouth a few minutes later. He was stupid too, I think we each hooked him multiple times, but I guess his mouth was toughened up and used to it.

Maybe Pat's boy will come back through and thin the population a bit.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:06 PM   #4
esdees
The Good Clone

One peaceful morning out in the thick of the early '06 kelp a little seal decided it wanted to get up on the back of my kayak! Freaked me out a little, but it quickly got the idea that it wasn't welcomed and took off.

I like that picture, thanks Andy

-Patrick
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:29 PM   #5
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Thumbs up

I liked your picture so much I set it as my weekly desktop!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

No plasticman subs. Here is one more, you can see the look of worry in the moms face as baby gets too close. She kept trying to push it under.

Saw several whales heading back north, it must be Spring

Old 03-20-2007, 04:00 PM   #7
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist
Unlike the dogs that you know are around, he'd go under for a good while, making you think he was gone, only to appear with your bait in his mouth a few minutes later.
I thought the mexican seal pups would only try and sell you "chicle".
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:15 PM   #8
sterling

There was a post about a year and half ago about a guy who was knocked out of his kayak in DP when the bastard was trying to rip his large Halibut from it's tether. The guy didn't post publicaly how the battle in the water went. Let's just say the seal lost. Bad!!!! Hint. Hint.

The guy was actually asked by a eighter one of those survey guys or a DFG if he was bothered by any seals today?lol
He told the story and was applauded for defending himself
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:22 PM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

I hate bait and fish stealing sea lions, but I really like harbor seals and have felt bad when I have hooked them.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #10
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Great picture of the lil seal nugget. I still remember that one in the south kelp. That harbor seal was tenacious. It wouldn't let us fish. Harbor seals don't bug me as much, and at least I feel less sharky when they are around.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:49 PM   #11
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling View Post
There was a post about a year and half ago about a guy who was knocked out of his kayak in DP when the bastard was trying to rip his large Halibut from it's tether. The guy didn't post publicaly how the battle in the water went. Let's just say the seal lost. Bad!!!! Hint. Hint.

The guy was actually asked by a eighter one of those survey guys or a DFG if he was bothered by any seals today?lol
He told the story and was applauded for defending himself
I remember the guy said it was a seal but it sounded more like a sea lion to me. I've noticed some people don't always distinguish between seal and sea lion. I'm with Andy, for the most part seals are kind of cool, in a sharkbait kind of way. I think about them the way I do cows, not really a nuisance but sort of big, stupid, and smelly and occassionally in the way. Sea lions are clever, curious, and potentially dangerous; the wolves of the sea.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:07 PM   #12
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Talking

For Shame Andy....feeding a pup just for a photo op....
He's back telling all his buddies that you were his photo beyotch....

Back in the day, had my boat out with my dog, pup came right up to the rail, and both dogs just sat there, staring at each other face to face, no growling, nothing.
Had my thoughts on what they were both thinking...

Dang the fishing must be slow....

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:58 PM   #13
fishin steve

Thanks for the report Andy
fishin steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:13 PM   #14
fongman

Last time I was in OEX, I noticed they're carrying wrist rocket type slingshots along with paint balls. Now that it is legal to use them, if you're harrass by a sealion while fishing, is anybody carrying one or have had the need to use one? Seems like a good idea, but I sure wouldn't like to see a pissed off sealion trying to sink me!
fongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:39 PM   #15
Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
One almost made me crap in my pants today. It's probably the same one, Andy. I was over the canyon, tying on an iron... The next thing I know, a pup lifts my paddle up and bumps my kayak. He stays there for a couple of seconds and then swims to the back. I thought it was going to jump in... Vito told me he had one jump in his tankwell, and sit there until he tapped it off.

Last edited by Dennis; 03-23-2007 at 05:52 AM.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:10 PM   #16
gary sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongman View Post
Last time I was in OEX, I noticed they're carrying wrist rocket type slingshots along with paint balls. Now that it is legal to use them, if you're harrass by a sealion while fishing, is anybody carrying one or have had the need to use one? Seems like a good idea, but I sure wouldn't like to see a pissed off sealion trying to sink me!

I bought mine at Big 5 and they also work well on bait stealing birds that follow you around, I am told.
gary sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:19 AM   #17
Matt
Support your local pangas

seal discouragement

Irons are nice and heavy too!! Wouldn't know anything about that though now would I???............. I dig the little curious harbor seals had one seat him/herself right next to me last year during the entire course of a YT fight and all he seemed to want to do is just watch what was gonna happen, pretty cool really. I have also seen that dumb big knot head almost charge Tyler while he ,Brad, Patrick and I were fishing.....my HATRED of sea lions will continue!!
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote