Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-20-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

Hmmm.....Part Two....

Today was one of those days, a day set aside with a long list of overdue chores to do , and no time to fish. I sometimes play tricks on myself in order to at least come across as responsible to my girlfriend, like not charging my batteries to keep that urge of launching the kayak. I did a large portion of my chores today, and spent over an hour answering a new BWE members questions about rigging, and had that damn feeling in my gut. That feeling inside of you that is hard to describe to someone that doesn't fish, an uncontrollable urge that grabs at you every couple of minutes and screams....GO FISHING. Around 2:00 p.m. I had had enough of the grumbling in my stomach, and left the house against my better judgement to scratch my itch. With only a couple of hours before it gets dark I told myself that I would just look for signs of life on the surface and fish the iron, another zero to hero Yellowtail mission . As I arrive at the launch I notice that the swell had picked up quite a bit and I might have to actually navigate the surf for the first time in a while (pancake flatness for weeks). After launching and making it through the reserve I scan the horizon with the bino's, nothing but a dark and gloomy grey horizon with storm clouds, and a decent wind (Love the Hobie ). I decided to move over to a spot that I knew was holding bait, since I didn't even bother to bring the Lowrance, and use the last trickle of power out of the Hobie tank. I put a dozen candybar size greenies in after a few drops and moved to a spot that I know is holding fish. I was hoping for a couple of larger baits because the Bonita were in full force my last time out, no luck. I kept scanning the horizon with the bino's and put out a greenback. I didn't have to wait long before that first chirp of the clicker, a nervous bait. As always, I picked up the rod and turned off the clicker. A few more nervous twitches and one solid THUMP.... count to two and engage the reel, I'm on. The fish swam fast right at me, and I had to wind as fast as I could to keep pressure. After about ten seconds the fish swims past me and sounds to the bottom ripping drag, yeah the right kind! After about the fourth big run with twelve pounds of drag I start to think this might be a better fish, and a couple of minutes later I see a monster below the kayak .

You know it's a good one when you have to put that extra effort to lift them into the kayak, come to papa .

It's true, for years I was completely against the boards and guys that posted about fragile bites. Bites that I worked hard to find, and came out a couple of days later to find a fleet of boats where I was alone days prior. Since I've become a member of this site I've never sent a p.m. to anyone asking them not to post a fish, but for years asked members to not post pictures of mine. As the years passed I came to realize I didn't have a problem with the kayaks, it's the clueless boaters that run back and forth that ruin bites. Much like the surf spots that I cherish, I've embraced the fact that surfing isn't a secret. And neither is fishing in La Jolla. Just like the sport of surfing, I've realized that even though more people are kayak fishing everyday you can still find a spot to yourself. It's funny, La Jolla has been a ghost town lately, with the guy on the skiff and I most afternoons. Of course, you will see the occasional WCW warrior, but that's it. I will never run a post about a fragile squid bite, or the first sign of White Seabass in the spring (fleet of divers getting all the larger females ), but at the same time I've never been accused of being quiet .

IT MUST BE THE SHOES.....
Old 11-20-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
Billy V

Nice quality fish you got there.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
Rusty

Damn Josh, you sure can fish LJ bro. Did you let go that toad go to see another day?

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:58 AM   #4
bellcon

Simply amazing!
and great story telling too!!
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:17 AM   #5
forefrazier

Nice work Josh....Inspiring to say the least!
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:36 AM   #6
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Another nice write up...oh yah, that too...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:41 AM   #7
Matt
Support your local pangas

Consistent killer! Nice job Josh!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:43 AM   #8
esdees
The Good Clone

Thanks for sharing.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:43 AM   #9
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

unbelievable, nice job! I need to get some of those FUBU shoes!

chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:11 AM   #10
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
I didn't have a problem with the kayaks, it's the clueless boaters that run back and forth that ruin bites.
But what about all those former kayakers turned skiffies that still read the yak boards? Yeah, yeah it was a joke and they know better.

Nice fish. My dad and I did the AM in the fog and found very little current around. Most fun was chasing around a finning baby mako for a while. As soon as I got close enough to get a good pic it would sink out and pop up behind me or completely on the other side. Jaws theme was playing in my head, but a couple octaves higher since it was just a babe.

No Tman, it didn't want iron.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:16 AM   #11
Aaron&Julie

We appreciate the attitude of timely reports, and that there is room aplenty for other kayakers out there. We began to get down on the recent trend.
By the way, NICE FISH (again)!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:55 AM   #12
JPSURF

Another Great Post!!!

Can't wait for my first LJ yellow!

That is one quality fish!!

JP
JPSURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:05 AM   #13
erinoo

Atta boy bubba..
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:30 AM   #14
steveooo

Nice fish
Side note- Whats up with the recent trend of fish poses that are reminiscent of Wilson from Home Improvement?
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:00 AM   #15
j mo

Another lunker! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot- Repeat WTF! Thanks for your help on the rigging questions. Can I take partial credit for your catch? I figure answering all my mundane questions drove you to go fish.....
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:22 AM   #16
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
Nice fish
Side note- Whats up with the recent trend of fish poses that are reminiscent of Wilson from Home Improvement?

It makes his fish look bigger. Which I don't understand, because he is catching bigger fish than the rest of us by far, Tyler excluded!

Last edited by Handymansd; 11-21-2008 at 09:25 AM. Reason: I have a hard time to put words in computer.
Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:58 AM   #17
Dennis

Frickin' FUBU's... I wonder when you're gonna bust out the KSWISS.. .
Nice fish Josh..
Old 11-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #18
GBF

Damn...............do you ever work???

Very nice fish Bro!!

GBF
Old 11-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #19
DESTROYER

Josh Nice Fookin Fish! Are you keeping that bad boy on ice and just going out every other week to take a picture, I call BS! Just kidding, your one hell of a fisherman or should I say catcher. WTG!

Moyer
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #20
EFISH

Great fish and once again a very enjoyable post. Keep it up and keep them coming...
Thanks again for the stories....
Peace Out
EFISH
EFISH is offline   Reply With Quote