Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-14-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
JoeBeck

Pepper harvest celebration – Yes a fishing report

Some of the peppers we grew this year

This story starts last weekend when Shiloh and I decided we would again fish the point loma kelp outside of sunset cliffs this Saturday (yesterday). Both of us have been looking forward for the long workweek to end so we could enjoy a day on the water. Mostly excited because I sold my Tarpon 160 last week, and that same day jumped on a deal for a Trident 13. Saturday would be the perfect day to take it out with us on its first voyage.

new trident

Overall the fishing was great. Really fishing is always great. We launched from mission bay at sunrise. While paddling out to the fishing ground my Rapala got hammered for my 1st fish on this yak, a Thresher shark tail hooked. We were able to unhook and release the fish without it hitting me with his tail and hooking me with my own lure.

We fished until the afternoon using a dropper loop with squid, I threw the iron to no takers and Shiloh fished a lead head hooked with squid. I caught plenty of small sandbass and rockfish all released and Shiloh took care of this weekend’s dinner.

When I returned home I was going to post a report before going out to watch the incredible Pacquiao vs Margarito fight. But unfortunately my eyes were led to another post when logging on to this forum, a bunch of men whining, talking about rules, how to post, when you can post and not, so on. Hammering a simple fishing report. Censorship. So I passed.

This morning I woke, had breakfast, and logged on again to read more of the same what I call nonsense. I was going to comment, wrote something up then decided I did not want to get wrapped up in it, I was actually kind of bothered since I enjoy fishing and reading reports so much. I laid around and pondered how grown adults could get so wrapped up in a forum, how individuals could try to tell me when, where and how I can post on a public comment board designed for fish reports and shared knowledge. This is when I snapped out of it and thought about the wonderful day I had on the water yesterday and how we still had fresh fish to prepare for tonight’s dinner. Furthermore I thought about how fortunate my wife and I were to have a decent harvest on Beck Farms this year. More peppers than I know what to do with,… fresh fish to eat caught by my wife….. sunny day out…..it is on! Pepper harvest celebration. This is what life is about, living off the land and enjoying beautiful sunny days on the water, on a plastic boat, catching fish, pretty simple right. Big, small it makes no difference, even if I don’t catch a fish who cares, only means I have bean and cheese burritos instead of fish tacos. When the sun is on our faces and we catch fish, we should celebrate, today a pepper harvest celebration from the fruits of our small yard along with fresh fish from the ocean we fish.

The menu:

Fresh rockfish ceviche with serrano, Fresh habanero salsa, homemade tortilla chips

Peruvian purple chile and Thai dragon chili peppered fish tacos (sandbass)

Mexican rice with poblano peppers, smoked Cayenne pepper black beans, freshly made hot red pepper sauce, green pepper hot sauce, and mango habanero hot sauce.

Even my brother and law enjoyed the fruits of our labor.

Cheers, go enjoy our beautiful land and sea.

Last edited by JoeBeck; 11-14-2010 at 08:30 PM.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
TheBentRod

Nice report. Now that's why i got into kayak fishing. Days like that!!

Which fish did you use to make ceviche?
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
eekamouse463

nice report man. Thats what im talking about! Wow you can cook man Ill have to try out Point loma sometimes how far did you paddle out and where did you launch from mission bay?
eekamouse463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Well done Joe! You said all that needed to be said. No further comment is necessary.

Well, one more thing. The dinner looked delicious.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
fish4ever555
Junior

Thanks for the post...the food looks awesome. I agree with your sentiments completely and full heartedly...and it's nice to see some pictures of fish for a change! If there are times when I can't get out to enjoy the water and fish for myself, then it's nice to read the posts and see someone else enjoying the blessing of living and fishing in SD.

By the way, you guys grow some giant peppers! haha
fish4ever555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
IntrntFshrman

Habanero salsa....where's the ice water, where's the ice water!!!!

Very nice report!
IntrntFshrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
StinkyMatt

Pleeeease adopt me.....OR at least take me in for one dinner......Daddy?
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:26 AM   #8
Regor
Greg

NICE!

Loved the Wine that accompanied the dinner
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:57 AM   #9
Jzo

Wow, what a great report! Thx for sharing!
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:37 AM   #10
lterrero
Leo

Joe, you are killing me! Thanks for the report.
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
Iceman
Administrator

Made me miss my pepper garden variety! Love peppers!

Ya know if everyone just read reports and never wrote one, more work would get done and the economy would take a turn for the better

Thanks for sharing ....I just had the same old Panko crusted WSB last night, your photos are inspirational!
Old 11-15-2010, 07:55 AM   #12
steveooo

Looks like the most delicious tacos ever!
Congrats on breaking in the new ride right, having a hot wife that likes to yak fish, and being such a renaissance man that everyone else is oozing with jealousy
Best report I've read in a while. Makes me want to start a garden...
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #13
PAL

Joe, your reports always bring a smile to my face. You're living right! Thanks for sharing a great day and its delicious aftermath.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:25 AM   #14
DanaPT

Nice post. That's what these boards are all about. Can't wait until the next time I'm out on the water.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:52 AM   #15
WahooUSMA

Hey Joe, nice post! It's great your wife likes to hang out and fish with you. That was one of the reason's I bought my Hobie TI. Now we just need to figure out how to fish together without killing each other. Anyway, as I was reading your report I realized that Mission Bay to the Cliff's would be an excellent trip for the TI, I think? No surf to deal with, etc. If I may, and I know we are probably going to violate some ethical posting procedures regarding top-secret launch spots, but where exactly did you launch from and how long did it take you to the fishing grounds? Thanks in advance!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #16
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Roger,

There is an easy launch from the ramp at Dana Landing. No security clearance required. If you prefer a sand launch, the cove next to the Bahia is a good choice. Lots of parking this time of year.

It is a nice sail out the channel although since it points directly into the prevailing wind, you may have to do a little peddling. They just dredged the channel so it should be easy going even when the surf is big.

Have fun and report back.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:17 AM   #17
Iceman
Administrator

I always launched from Mariners Point to fish Pt Loma, time the tides in the channel or it takes alot of your energy!
Old 11-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #18
Aaron&Julie

How dare you comment on the immature posts of others telling people what they should report...

That being said, that was a wonderful post and picture layout. We love seeing other couples doing the yak fishing thing together. Looked like a great day and good eats to boot. Thanks for a nice report, they are so far and few between, but enjoyable when they do occur.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #19
yani

Joe,

Fishing with your wife? Eating your catch? Growing
your own food? Being completly independent?
Not liking people to tell you when, where, and
how to communicate?

Sorry, but you would never make a good liberal democrat...

Cause you know, they can't cook...
Old 11-15-2010, 10:30 AM   #20
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yani View Post
Joe,

Fishing with your wife? Eating your catch? Growing
your own food? Being completly independent?
Not liking people to tell you when, where, and
how to communicate?

Sorry, but you would never make a good liberal democrat...

Cause you know, they can't cook...

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote