Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-02-2015, 07:58 PM   #1
Southman

D. Point 12/2

Hit up Dana Point just to see what if anything might still be around. Didn't figure any YT or Ghosts would appear, but with fishing, you just never know.

On the water around 7:00 am and hit up the bait barge for some anemic looking choives, although the website said they had nice sized sardines. On the way out managed 3 small butts by the entrance to the harbor. Found the lobster buoys by the pipe and spent 2 1/2 hours working the area. Flylined some macs while dropping the chovies to the bottom.

Today was a true mixed bag.
3 butts, an 18 inch barracuda, 2 sandies, 3 calicos, and many macs. With more time I would've drifted the macs for some butts south of the harbor. Off the water by 11:30.

One question about your livewells. Do you guys have screens on your drain tubes? For the first time my drain plugged up with all the small chovies. It ended up overflowing and by the time I noticed it had filled up my rear well and sloshed over into my seat area. Not a lot fun sitting in a bunch of water with pants on. I was thinking an easy fix would be some screen material over the top of the tube.

All in all a nice day on the water.
Tight lines.
Southman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:42 PM   #2
Raskal311

I habe fishing line X across the top; screens will get clogged quickly.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:27 AM   #3
DanaPT

Anchovies are tough bait for me to keep alive. They always seem to try and swim into the knooks and crannies and fragile enough to die wedged in place.

No screen on the outflow for me either. Usually not a problem with other baits. I always have a problem with chovies. They die too fast and I seem to always forget 1 or 2 deand crammed chovies between the tank and pump.

Makes for a smelly surprise a couple of days later.

I did not think dp had any butts.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

I use small zip ties, to cover the plug in an "*" pattern this allows the scales and slime to pass through the overflow and keeps the overflow working while not letting the chovies get their dumb heads and bodies stuck in the hole. I find that a recirculating timer is essential for keeping the chovies alive, as well as not letting the bait guys overload the tank. If they give me too many, I'll simply scoop some of the less than lively ones out of the tank and save them for lobster bait.

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
Southman

I like the zip tie idea. I'll try it.
Didn't think about how a screen could get plugged up.

Thanks
Southman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:18 PM   #6
Starsky

Nice report, I have never had luck keeping the anchovies alive in my bait tank, I might have to slow the flow down or ask them not to overfill the tank. I still caught a short halibut off dead ones though, right outside the harbor mouth.
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote