Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2016, 11:10 PM   #21
Southman

Thanks for the report Ed. I managed to hit Newport bay yesterday (Wed.). Didn't arrive until about 10:30 a.m. Launched at the CG station.

Met 2 guys coming in from fishing. One guy managed 2 small cudas I think by the kelp off Corona. He also had 2 small bass of some kind.

Super high tide on arrival then as I fished, the outgoing tide was really moving. The fish I got all seemed to be located just off the main really fast current. It was easy to see where the current tailed off by the debris that swirled around. All fish caught we not in that fast current.

Fished the buoy line up towards little Corona, then back down to the moored boats by the CG station. Managed 5 bass - 2 spoties, 1 calico, 2 sandies. No keepers but one of the sandies was close.
All caught on 4" big hammers in Christmas tree color with small lead head.

I'll be curious to hear how you guys do if you hit up Dana Pt.
Southman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:28 AM   #22
Orca Winfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
That would be cool, thanks. From what I understand they're doing some dredging that is supposed to last a few months; I hope this is inaccurate!
The baby beach is being dredged, but we launched from the docks and no one minded.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #23
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey View Post
The baby beach is being dredged, but we launched from the docks and no one minded.
Oh cool, my aunt has been launching her SUP from the docks, but I wasn't sure if dropping a kayak in the water would be ok. Thanks for the info.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:10 AM   #24
lopro
Junior

Thanks for your report. Fished hh the same day and same story, short bites and the one fish I hooked came loose. Nothing much to report. Still fun though.

Fairly new fishing off the kayak but have been hoping to try dana pt sometime. What day were you fishing next week? Mind if paddle out with you guys? Thanks
lopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:32 PM   #25
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southman View Post
Thanks for the report Ed. I managed to hit Newport bay yesterday (Wed.). Didn't arrive until about 10:30 a.m. Launched at the CG station.

Met 2 guys coming in from fishing. One guy managed 2 small cudas I think by the kelp off Corona. He also had 2 small bass of some kind.

Super high tide on arrival then as I fished, the outgoing tide was really moving. The fish I got all seemed to be located just off the main really fast current. It was easy to see where the current tailed off by the debris that swirled around. All fish caught we not in that fast current.

Fished the buoy line up towards little Corona, then back down to the moored boats by the CG station. Managed 5 bass - 2 spoties, 1 calico, 2 sandies. No keepers but one of the sandies was close.
All caught on 4" big hammers in Christmas tree color with small lead head.

I'll be curious to hear how you guys do if you hit up Dana Pt.
Glad you found a few.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #26
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
When did this start? I launched there on Sunday 2/28, and nothing was happening then at kids beach.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:18 PM   #27
Orca Winfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
When did this start? I launched there on Sunday 2/28, and nothing was happening then at kids beach.
Not sure when the dredging started at the DPH baby beach, but when we went out two weekends ago, the beach was excavated to replace the sand and there were signs saying to use the docks for launching which we did. It was a slow day at the sewer line. I only managed one Calico. King Saba got at least two. No keepers. All on squid strips on a dropper. No pelagics spotted.

Last edited by Orca Winfrey; 03-12-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:33 PM   #28
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Not sure when the dredging started at the DPH baby beach, but when we went out two weekends ago, the beach was excavated to replace the sand and there were signs saying to use the docks for launching which we did. Is was a slow day at the sewer line. I only managed one Calico. King Saba got at least two. No keepers. all on squid strips on a dropper. No pelagics spotted.
Oh my bad, I was thinking of Newport. You're talking about Dana Point.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:35 PM   #29
Orca Winfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
Oh my bad, I was thinking of Newport. You're talking about Dana Point.
No problem. I should have been more clear.