Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-30-2016, 03:14 PM   #1
Rocketfish

Long Beach Area

Is anyone yak fishing here this holiday weekend? I have found the local Huntington Harbor and Alamitos Bay areas to be super crowded. Do you local guys have any alternatives to these crowded bays? I haven't been out in months and was hoping to get out this weekend but am not looking forward to all the traffic. I noticed in the past that it affects the fishing quality too, but it could just be me.

Send me a PM if you are going out somewhere close to LB.
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:12 AM   #2
FleshandBlood

Did you ever wind up going out? If so anything to report?
FleshandBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #3
Dave Legacy

I went out on Alamitos Bay today. Made my usually super casual late rise and launched at noon. Got a spot pretty easily on the end of the peninsula, short wheel to the shoreline, and not nearly as crowded as the further inland shores. The wind was blowing though (that's what you get when you launch at noon!) and I forgot my anchor, so I was limited in how much fishing I could actually pull off. Bites were coming easily, but they were all short on my 4" Big Hammer. The fish seem pretty active though and the water feels plenty warm.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:51 AM   #4
Rocketfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleshandBlood View Post
Did you ever wind up going out? If so anything to report?
I did NOT go out, unfortunately. It turns out that my kayak is "stuck" in my yard until the roofers are done and move their giant trash bin out of my driveway haha. I WILL go out soon and will make a report - good or bad.

Thanks for asking.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:03 PM   #5
tamddo714

I feel Newport is a good place to fish even on busy weekends. Plenty of places to fish and avoid the boat traffic (docks and Moored boats) And I feel during the morning you don't get as many private fishing boat traffic since most will launch from Davies or further south.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:03 AM   #6
Rocketfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamddo714 View Post
I feel Newport is a good place to fish even on busy weekends. Plenty of places to fish and avoid the boat traffic (docks and Moored boats) And I feel during the morning you don't get as many private fishing boat traffic since most will launch from Davies or further south.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're right tamddo, I have observed that as well. NPH is really wide and large too. I like HH or AB because I live within 5 minutes of both, but the fishing is DEFINITELY not as consistent as NPH.