Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-10-2016, 11:11 AM   #1
Amish Ed

Newport, 3-10-16

I haven't been able to fish for 2 months, so I was stoked to be going today. Met up with Harry Hill and launched just before 7am. sky was partly cloudy and warmish. Water was 60.6º and stained. Tide was coming in and there was good current.

Started at the buoy line and was getting lots of short bites on various colors and sizes, with my pants being pulled down multiple times. But, only got one short spotty for my troubles. We moved to the channel between the peninsula and Balboa. More short bites, no takers. Moved to the moored boats on the peninsula side, but didn't stay long as there was zero current. Moved to the boats on the other side for nothing, not even a short bite. Moved back to the buoy line off the launch and got 2 bites. I was getting sore quick. The one thing I don't like about my Trident 13 is the narrow footwells that force my ankles and knees into an awkward position. I was finally getting used to this when car problems forced me off the water for 2 months. Guess I have to start over and teach my body again to put up with the discomfort. Anyways, it was really slow and I was sore. So, I called it quits some time after 9am and left Harry to hopefully have better luck with the outgoing tide.

The best colors for bites were Redbone and Smokey Shad paddlerz. Both 4" and 5" got bit early. Only 4" after about 7:30. Hot Sauce helped to induce bites.

On a car related note, I bought a Thule Slipstream from Andy (OEX Sunset Beach) for my new to me car. So easy to load and unload. Well worth the $$ and it protects the back of the car from damage too.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
Dave Legacy

The slipstream sounds like a good move!
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #3
Amish Ed

Definitely better on the back too.

I first saw them at the Fred Hall show a couple years back and it stuck in my mind. Glad I was able to get the cash together to get it.

Forgot to mention that I snapped 2 straps today. Guess they don't like years of sitting in the back of a pickup truck. Glad I always have extras. In fact I just used the new ones that came with the rack
Old 03-10-2016, 12:15 PM   #4
blitzburgh

Thanks for the report Ed!
Old 03-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #5
Harry Hill

I did not better after Ed left, just short bites, tried soaking some bait while I was casting but all I got was soggy bait. First time out solo on my Malibu P2T, I thought I was being smart by putting my Ascend seat on it but it put me so high the kayak wanted to roll every time I moved. I took it off but I had forgot to bring my regular seat so I just sat on the hatch and paddled. I don't recommend lots of paddling without a seat. It wasn't terrible but I was getting pretty tired. I used my bait tank and back pack as a back rest but the seat would have been better. Off the water at 10:30, fishless again.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:16 PM   #6
Amish Ed

Sorry you blanked.

Next week, weather permitting, the pipe in Dana point. Should be better than Newport. But, you'll need some 1/2 to 1oz lead heads and appropriately sized baits. Squid strips would work for rattlesnakes and most likely bass too. 1oz torpedoes should suffice. Let me know if you want to go.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:18 PM   #7
ROSSOLY

Wow Ed, you must've been in major pain to only tolerate 2 hrs on the water, bummer. Thanks for the report.
ROSSOLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:44 PM   #8
Amish Ed

Pain mixed with boredom. 2 bites in the last hour and the tide was dying. Didn't feel like spending 45min waiting around to see if the bite picked up with the outgoing tide. But, I usually only fish 4-4.5hrs at a time anyways. And I live pretty close so it was no big deal.

As far as the pain goes, knees and ankles will be hurting for the next few days. If my first month with the yak is any indicator. I hate that all the major manufacturers have gone to narrow footwells in so many of their kayaks. My feet point out at 45º angles, making them go straight up and down just isn't pleasant.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:57 PM   #9
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Ed I thought I was the only one that hates the narrow footwells. My last two Malibus hurt my feet and ankles, I had to hang my feet over the sides often to relax them. Might need a PA for the foot space
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:04 PM   #10
Amish Ed

Glad to know I'm not alone Alan. I put my feet up all the time, or dangle them over the side. I fished a PA once and loved it. But, they are way out of my price range and way too heavy for my back
Old 03-10-2016, 07:09 PM   #11
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Sorry you blanked.

Next week, weather permitting, the pipe in Dana point. Should be better than Newport. But, you'll need some 1/2 to 1oz lead heads and appropriately sized baits. Squid strips would work for rattlesnakes and most likely bass too. 1oz torpedoes should suffice. Let me know if you want to go.
Just let me know where I'm going, I know nothing about Dana Point. I'm good to go though.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:11 PM   #12
Harry Hill

Quote:
Pain mixed with boredom. 2 bites in the last hour and the tide was dying. Didn't feel like spending 45min waiting around to see if the bite picked up with the outgoing tide. But, I usually only fish 4-4.5hrs at a time anyways. And I live pretty close so it was no big deal.

As far as the pain goes, knees and ankles will be hurting for the next few days. If my first month with the yak is any indicator. I hate that all the major manufacturers have gone to narrow footwells in so many of their kayaks. My feet point out at 45º angles, making them go straight up and down just isn't pleasant.
I can feel my stomach muscles after paddling without support, and I have a lot of stomach muscle to feel.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #13
Amish Ed

Harry, i'll watch the weather and let you know. If not dana, maybe mission bay.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:05 PM   #14
Harry Hill

Quote:
Harry, i'll watch the weather and let you know. If not dana, maybe mission bay.
Okay, just let me know what we are doing and I'm in. I'm thinking the problem I had with that seat was the keel was sitting on sand so it made the kayak tippy.I have to try it again floating. I think I will haul it over to Perris next week and try it out again. No fishing gear though, just in case I go under.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:08 PM   #15
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Sorry you blanked.

Just a heads up I'm pretty sure Baby Beach is still closed; I think this includes the launch.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:11 PM   #16
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
Just a heads up I'm pretty sure Baby Beach is still closed; I think this includes the launch.
what and where is baby beach?
Old 03-10-2016, 08:40 PM   #17
Orca Winfrey

Thanks for the report. The spotties there can get lockjaw when the tide is slack. Still always great to get on the water.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:48 PM   #18
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
what and where is baby beach?
It's a nice easy free launch area in Dana Point harbor. I'll go take a look to see if it's open this weekend if you want. There was some sort of working barge and lots of piping in the channel last week, not sure what's up.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:54 PM   #19
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey View Post
Thanks for the report. The spotties there can get lockjaw when the tide is slack. Still always great to get on the water.
In my experience they have lock jaw most of the winter. But, it's close and you never know.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:53 PM   #20
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
It's a nice easy free launch area in Dana Point harbor. I'll go take a look to see if it's open this weekend if you want. There was some sort of working barge and lots of piping in the channel last week, not sure what's up.
That would be cool, thanks. From what I understand they're doing some dredging that is supposed to last a few months; I hope this is inaccurate!