Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
bubblehide

Hacking Yak II

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakrider View Post
Gary...
stay off the computer...
get back into the garage and build the dang thang already!
no more internet banter untill you make more progress....
I wanna see the big ass hole in the bottom of that yak...
and how about wearing a heart rate monitor and video the
heart rate from the time you bust out the jig saw to the actual hole cutting...be interesting to see the effects on the body when one cuts a big gnarly hole in the bottom of the yak...
I know I pooped a little when I drilled a 2" hole in the bottom of my "brand spankin' new, never been in the water yet" Revo...
my heart rate went through the roof...

Okay Josh, since you asked to see a big asshole, here I am, updating you,

Here is the big, ass, hole, (bottom side)

Topside

The piece I cut out

The mounting unit just setting in the hole

From the bottom

bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Fiskadoro

Shit Gary if I knew you were going to do such a nice job I'd of just hired you to do mine.

That's exactly the way I pictured it when were were talking over the design. The carbon fiber looks great, I can't wait to see that big black carbon fiber stripe when you glass the top deck back in.

Congrats. Your going to have a beautiful yak when it's done.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
Lets_Fish

Viewing this with interest as to what the kayak will look like once completed!

An observation on my part I'm having a hard time seeing how the bottom of the hull will be smooth (like the original hull). How are you intending to "blend" the glass to the bottom of the hull? I understand that you will be glassing the inside, but what about the bottom outside, won't it leave a ridge around the "box"? I see this as being one of the larges hurdles of the project.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets_Fish View Post
Viewing this with interest as to what the kayak will look like once completed!

An observation on my part I'm having a hard time seeing how the bottom of the hull will be smooth (like the original hull). How are you intending to "blend" the glass to the bottom of the hull? I understand that you will be glassing the inside, but what about the bottom outside, won't it leave a ridge around the "box"? I see this as being one of the larges hurdles of the project.

Actually the part you see as the largest hurdle, is not that difficult at all. In the pictures above, you can see that I started to grind the gel coat, which I will also do on the bottom side, so that I am glassing directly to the original yaks fiberglass/composite, and obtain a solid full strength bond, (as little as a one inch overlap or less will produce a full strength bond). I will simply taper the layers, use the 1/32 cut fiber, and/or use micro balloons I have to taper areas, and sand smooth. Some parts will be getting gel coated, while some will be a clear coated exposed carbon-kevlar finish. I'll continue to take and post pictures so you get the basic step by step process.

The difficult part is working within the limited space available within the inside of the hull, to get a solid bond along all the seams, with no air pockets. Then there is the the rudder control and assembly, which would be so much easier to do in a normal production process where the yak is in two pieces (the top half and the bottom half). Since this is my first attempt at this, I don't have every detail figured out; but enough to continue to move forward. and in a worse case scenario, bubble gum and bailing wire will do the trick . Right now, I just need a window of good weather to continue.

Last edited by bubblehide; 02-19-2011 at 07:09 PM. Reason: fix a type-o
Old 02-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
YakMedic

Looks really good. Keep us updated
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

..............and don't forget the new helmet laws went into effect 1/1/11
Old 02-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
BT

Wow that looks awesome! Good luck and I will be interested in how it performs. I used to repair and glass boards back in the day and looking at this makes me nervous!!!! LIke its been already stated, you got some huge balls for tearing up a perfectly good yak like that. But of course, if you are going to do it to a yak, a glass on is the one to do it on.

Good luck man!
Old 02-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
..............and don't forget the new helmet laws went into effect 1/1/11

what new helmet laws?

But the design looks great!

I hope you know what you are doing, if not that is going to be one huge paperweight

Last edited by wiredantz; 02-19-2011 at 05:10 PM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #9
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

While you have that thing cut open, you could take the opportunity to add a few useful internal features. If it were me, I would put in a Hobie-style hatch in front of the seat and install some bulkheads, front and rear to keep stuff from sliding out of reach. Maybe that big square cut-out is an aftermarket hatch that has already been installed. If so, the bulkheads are still a good idea.

You could use some kind of a rigid but lightweight foam for the bulkheads and while you are at it, add some foam to the bow and stern for flotation in case you spring a leak one of these days.

You could also take the opportunity to wire for future electronics such as a fish finder, bait tank, lights, etc.

I also noticed that you had to sacrifice the cup holder as part of this project. Of course no one cares much about holding cups but you have to have a place for to set your beer down when you hook up. I think that falls under recommended safety gear.

The project appears to be coming along nicely. When is the maiden voyage?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #10
bubblehide

Bob, you must have read my mind. Actually I plan on glassing in a spot for a H2O proof battery box in the forward upper portion of that hole you see there; for a LION battery (think small size and light weight). The yak came with bulkheads, the forward one I cut out for rod storage. The hole right in front of the seat is for an aftermarket hatch, I simply removed it while doing this project. The second bulkhead is right behind the seat, then there is a very large storage area right behind the seat accessible from a round hatch cover topside and a third bulkhead closing it off to the rest of the rear of the yak. Since the drive housing will span the top and bottom sides of the yak, I don't think I'll need any additional reinforcing; but if necessary I could easily add a center post right in front of the hatch after the fact.

I was going to start working on a mold for a built in bait tank just to the rear of the rear storage; so I can keep the weight low, wind resistance down, always have it available, and have one less thing to tie down. I'll add some vertical rod storage/holders while I'm working on it. Basically, while I'm cutting it up, I want to take the time to turn in into a full fledged fishing machine. Now how do I get someone to donate a new HDS/gps unit

As far as a maiden voyage, I have no idea, it's not a small project, not the first thing on my long list of things to do; but I'm giving it some priority and will continue to plug away at it, weather permitting.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
what new helmet laws?

But the design looks great!

I hope you know what you are doing, if not that is going to be one huge paperweight
yeah didn't you hear, you have to wear a helmet when you paddle as hard and fast as you do...
but seriously this hotrod is lookin good....
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #12
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

lay-up tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
The difficult part is working within the limited space available within the inside of the hull, to get a solid bond along all the seams, with no air pockets.
As a thought, you can use the typical nylon vacuum bag process to contain the plies from "bridging" the radius during the cure cycle and maybe also use rubber "intensifiers" at the radius to maintain consolidation of the plies.
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #13
robmandel

gary, you got bigger balls than anyone I know

one thing, have you considered the seating angle. one thing about those hobies I've noticed is how you're sitting a little lower and inclined a bit almost. it's a much better peddling position, but not really a paddling one. have you accounted for how you'll sit?

also, figured out a way to get rod storage in there? I forgot, haven't seen your yak in a while, isn't there a bulkhead behind the seat or did you cut that out. the yak's long enough for sure, for putting rods in the hatch if you can get them all the way back.

nice work so far. remember you talking about a project like that on the way down to the ontario meeting. guess you're making it happen.

can't wait to fish it with you. hint, hint...as in dude, we ever gonna fish again
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #14
maui jim

AS IN EVERYTHING IN LIFE...EVERTYTHING IS FIXABLE...
Old 02-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #15
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmandel View Post
gary, you got bigger balls than anyone I know

one thing, have you considered the seating angle. one thing about those hobies I've noticed is how you're sitting a little lower and inclined a bit almost. it's a much better peddling position, but not really a paddling one. have you accounted for how you'll sit?

also, figured out a way to get rod storage in there? I forgot, haven't seen your yak in a while, isn't there a bulkhead behind the seat or did you cut that out. the yak's long enough for sure, for putting rods in the hatch if you can get them all the way back.

nice work so far. remember you talking about a project like that on the way down to the ontario meeting. guess you're making it happen.

can't wait to fish it with you. hint, hint...as in dude, we ever gonna fish again

Rob, I put a hatch in, right in front of the seat, that big rectangular hole in the pics; so I can slide 7' rods in toward the front.

Are we ever gonna fish again, you bet. But until I get this project done, I don't don't have a ride; that's why I picked this time of year to get after it.

I did get a chance to do a bit more grinding and Hacking today, so here's the latest:
Oval hole for bait tank

Another angle

From the seat back, for perspective:

Bottom side grinding of gel coat:

Bottom rear

Now all this work made me hungry, so here was dinner:
Old 02-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #16
dfroggy54
Rolly

im so inspired! reminds me of my first kayak. its looking great!
Old 02-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #17
mtnbykr2

checked in to see the progress looks pretty good, so does what was in the pan...is that canadian bacon in there?
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #18
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
..., so does what was in the pan...is that canadian bacon in there?

Of course fish fillets; red onion, red bell peppers, spices, fresh orange juice, and a little peanut oil.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #19
paddle and flies
Junior

My, My,Gary I look forward to seeing your creation when it's done.
paddle and flies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #20
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddle and flies View Post
My, My,Gary I look forward to seeing your creation when it's done.

My creation, hardly, Just a couple of very good but separate creations that I'm putting together. But yes Noel, when it's done, we'll have to arrange a test drive for you.

On another note, were you down here for the fly fishing show? My wife has been sick, so I missed it, and now it's my turn for taking care of her; proof no good deed goes unpunished.