Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #1
GHOSTHUNTR

La Jolla, Sunday A.M.

Launched at about 5 to no surf, and very little wind. Made quick greenies at the pier and headed out to the spot in front of the condo. There were several large schools of makerel on the surface, so I trolled around them for a few hours for nada. Did get one pretty good rip, but he let go before I could let him eat. Saw two nice seabass back on the beach. Johnny Ceviche caught a 36# model on a spanish mack. Be back at it on Tues. and Wedn., sure the crowds will be a little different.
GHOSTHUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
Corey

Thanks for the report. I've been paying the "honey dues" thus far this weekend. Hoping to get out tomorrow am. Hopefully the weekend crowd will be fished out by then.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
Guyak

Hey Tim,

Thanks for the greenies on your way in. I really appreciate that since there was bait everywere at the kelp,but none that wanted to get caught
I stayed out until around 11:30 with alot of nervous runs from the macs, but nothing hit. I started to the inside edge of the kelp and slow trolled a flyline heading NW from the condo. I found a ton or bait in the water and a few started hopping so I picked up my light stick with 15 lb. test and single squigly tail with a green pepper top, light brown pepper middle and clear bottom with an orange belly. I flipped it just past some jumping bait, let it drop for about 10 seconds gave two pulls and BAM! Something big. It started coming up pretty easily, I saw a flash of white and then SEEYA! It completely spooled my little reel of about 150 yards of 15lb test. As soon as it reached the last bit.....SNAP!! I felt like I hit the MegaMillions in Vegas, but only put in one quarter.

My buddie was fishing an almost identical FT and paddled over, threw one cast and BAM! 30lb WSB on a 5" Fish Trap He will be posting pics soon. I wish I had a video of him when hooked this bad boy.....His previous biggest fish was a 5lb. rainbow trout lol

Anyway after that I caught a whopping 8" calico (released) and then got one big run and a chewed up greenie right before the preserve. Looked like cuda marks.

Tim it was a pleasure meeting you and thanks for the Greens.

Oh and the Kayak tank worked perfectly! Worth every penny.
Guyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
Yak_AP

My first post.

I'm a noob. I've been out w/ Guyak a few times on an old Scupper Pro and minimal gear. I first want to say everyone I've met seems really nice and the community reminds me of the only other forum I spend any time on; advrider.com. BWE seems like a great site.

So Sunday Guy and I were out as he was trying out his new center hatch flush mounted bait tank. That thing is pretty sweet I might add and the mackerels were just fine at the end of the day. Too bad he still had them!

As for me, I was just flinging plastics. About 10:30 Guy got a bite on a plastic that he had just tossed in on a small setup and the thing pulled all the line out. He called me over and on my first toss I ended up w/ the WSB below.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...ry.php/cat/549

It was 27.5 lb and 42 inches. Interestingly it had a bite mark on it that looked like it might have come from the big sea lion that was out there. It wasn't a chunk but just a light bite. Maybe that's the pull that just about pulled me into the water. Honestly, I'm a novice to all of this so I was pretty well in shock. I didn't even have a gaff. I went out and got a net the day before figuring I would end up w/ some calicos, but it wasn't near big enough and I wasn't expecting to be just about pulled out of my yak.

I was using 60lb Spectra and a 40lb flouro leader. Heavy for calicos, but I was being optimistic. I had my drag too tight as it wasn't able to pull out much so the fight was pretty short. Novice stuff I realized too late.

Other than that, it was slow for me. I didn't catch anything else. Beautiful day on the water and a few bites. Honestly I would have been happy but taking home this baby was a shocker. My wife and I are having our first baby on Wed (scheduled C-section due to baby being breach). It was a nice day for being my last weekend of non-parenthood.

The first pic shows the plastic that I was using.
Yak_AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:00 PM   #5
Dan

Yak_AP: SICK FISH on a dinky little plastic. WTG.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #6
lamb

Very, very cool!

Congrats on your 1st WSB!

Congrats on that other one coming up via C-section...
Old 05-28-2007, 10:29 PM   #7
Guyak

Sounds like it's time to buy a Gator Hatch Do they make those with a car seat attachment?

Oh wait you need the new Kayak first

Hey ask the wife right after new arrival. She might not give a @#%t lol
Guyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:20 AM   #8
h2ofishfo

ha yeah right u woulda thought i was buying the charter bout " intrepid' when i got a new yak right after the baby good luk on that 1
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:42 AM   #9
slayersmith

Great Post!

Take it easy!

Aaron
slayersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:14 AM   #10
GBF

Very, Very Nice Fish!!

GBF