Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 11:28 AM   #1
GHOSTHUNTR

La Jolla 7-18

Launched at around 5:30 to some decent sized surf, but nice long intervals. Went North to try to track down a halibut for the slam. No bait at the pier at all, so I kept going. Finally ran across some huge greenbacks. These things were horses, it would have to be a big 'butt to choke one of them down, so I kept looking. I found some micro greenies about ten minutes later that were about the size of a big sardine. Perfect. Bounced around the sand for hours and all I got was a 2lb. halibut. Halibut fishing is really boring, I guess tha is why I never do much of it. I almost fell asleep out there. Still, I'll be out there Friday, trying it again.
GHOSTHUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
BBrown

Went out myself around 5:15 of so. Must of broke through the surf just before you. Found spanish real quick at the can then proceeded to troll a spanish high and a Rapalla Magnum for a couple of hours.

Had one pick-up on the spanish, but when I swung I felt a single head shake than nothing. It was just enough to get the heart pumping with hopes of a first kayak YT. Well, still looking.

The swells were more than enough to keep me awake. A lot of kelp floating around which made trolling a challenge. This was a first for a PM trip. I think I like the am a little better. No crowds at launch, parking is easy, and the surf seems smaller.

Stay Bent -
BBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
Lit-up1

BELLYUPTIM

Listen to that Belly-up-Tim dude
Going for the slam already---
Who does he think he is lol
all around on Tim if he gets it
Just go to his bar to collect
Old 07-19-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
lamb

Tim just keeps going... So far, he wins the 07 new talent award.

Sure... Boring... up until the moment you see the big brown carpet under your yak. That's when it gets real interesting real quick.

One great halibut master said "I hate halibut fishing... I love halibut catching".

The other one said - "it's all about pounding the sand".

There ya' go.
Good luck!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
GHOSTHUNTR

I'm sure i'll change my mind about the boring part when (and if) I try to gaff a big halibut. A serious shower will probably ensue.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:24 AM   #6
lamb

I’m sure you will Tim, it’s just the matter of time.

Really, those few feet from below your kayak to the “destination lap” spot is the most challenging part with them.

I put a lot of thought into making sure I’m ready before I landed my first halibut on the kayak. Lot of it was following the tips from folks that have put more than a few brown flats through their hands... I’ve been following that routine ever since, and have not yet lost the one I brought to color.

Here’s the “halibut at color” checklist I follow - I hope some may find it handy:
  • Make sure your drag is not tight. If the things go wrong, you want to make sure they can have a smooth and controlled run if/when they freak out… Ask Moyer if you don’t believe me.
  • Have your game clip ready – open and secured to your kayak with a rope, ready to be deployed.
  • Don’t panic when you see them below! Keep control, keep the line tight with no slack…
  • Don’t get their head out of the water – let them hang and linger by the boat. They’re usually pretty calm. If they decide to make another run down, let them.
  • Take your time and identify their lower jaw. Their belly is right below their head on that side.
  • Gaff ‘em though the belly. It’s their softest spot yet strong enough to be lifted on board by your gaff. More importantly, in my experience, 9 out of 10 times they won’t freak out when you gaff them thought the belly. They stay calm… like a lamb. It almost stuns them. Attempting to gaff them though the thick meat on their shoulder is very likely to cause them to start thrashing. On a bigger halibut, it is likely you won’t run a gaff though them – they’ll freak out and probably yank your gaff out of your hand (been there). Don’t gaff them in the head – it is their most boney part. It is hard to pierce though, your head gaff attempt is likely to be followed by a freak out…
  • As you run the gaff through the belly, keep the fish in the water, don’t lift her up… Reach for your game clip and run it through the gills.
  • Secure it. The game is over, destination dinner table is almost certain now.
  • Unlock your spool. The fish is on a leash, all is good. It may save your rod.
  • At that point, I cut their gills to bleed them. Some people smack them over their head; that works too, but I haven’t been doing it. You ought to do something, as they may stay alive for a while…
  • Be ready for a post mortem freak out - they frequently do that. Move and secure your reels and anything else they may kick in the water if/when they start flopping on your deck.
  • I’ll leave it up to you to choose to turn them so you have their toothy jaw between your legs or their mighty tail while you’re paddling back… I hate this part.
The only other part with halibut that I find to be ugly – keep an eye on Anisakis Simplex when you’re filleting them… A small worms in their guts/belly that can also be found in lil’ pockets of their meat in the belly area, especially on their bottom part (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisakis ). I find them almost as often as not - sometimes you need to look harder. To be on a safe side, I generously cut out and throw away the fillet in the belly area.

I tried and I know it's good, but I don't eat raw halibut. No thanks.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:00 AM   #7
Afran
fishy

Great advise. I like.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
soulwinner
Junior

Great list Adi I concur, my first 45lber was totally easy and and never did anything unusual even though Ive heard all the horror stories and was ready for the battle. The fish barely moved after gaff, clip and bled. I thought whats all the fuss about . Well the next 44lber was the mother of all nightmares complete opposite I had it gaffed multiple times half game clipped twice only to have it go beserk like a flying manhole cover it bent my aluminum gaff when I finally got the game clip on securely I made sure I laid wood to his head while placing his head on the side of the yak. these things can wake up with a vengence long after bleeding and clubbing he kept twitching and snapping his jaw shut all the way back to the beach . I also used to bring a towel to lay on the fish to keep it damp just in case I got one early in the day.
soulwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
GHOSTHUNTR

Wow, that is a great checklist, thanks Adi. Hopefully I can put it to use soon.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:59 AM   #10
Lit-up1

Adi,

Nice tips-
I had a 25#er once go back down about 30 feet with the gaff still in it's head -somehow I stayed hooked up to the fish and my wooden gaff popped back up next to me-I reeled the fish back up and stuck it again-in the head and it went off again but I held on this time.
I hope I get a meaner one next time---
Old 07-20-2007, 09:59 AM   #11
wavster

Adi: Great checklist. I hope I get the chance to use it...
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:42 AM   #12
nunyabizness1
Maggie

Perfect timing for the check list. I have only caught baby halibuts at the Tidelands and hope to catch a legal one. Now I'll have some knowledge of what to do if I am lucky enough to battle one! Thanks for taking the time to post your list. I would have freaked out paddling in when the halibut decided to trip out on me. :-)
nunyabizness1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:15 PM   #13
greens
Junior

4 Hours to late.

Great check list we hit most of the hi points today but Fish was landed.
1. Friend caught fish- So it will be his report to tell of that
2. Call me over since I have the bigger gaff- I see it and Holy S--T
3. Gaff it and put it in my lap Thrashing and flipping
Knocked my fish finder into the water (didn't know it luckily buddy got it for me)
4. tried to cut it's throat with a dull knife lol but got it done.
great day on the water he will report his side later.

I wished someone would of had a video camera on us. We would of won funniest home videos.
I Really wishes I would of read this first.

Greens
greens is offline   Reply With Quote