Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
GHOSTHUNTR

Fun day in La Jolla

I launched @ 5:00 into small surf and a light south breeze. Trolled up some bait on the way out to the kelp, nice mix. Fished real close to the kelp and at about 6:00 I caught a nice calico. When it got close enough to see I noticed that it had a follower. The thing was, it was about a 25-30lb. white seabass, right on its tail. The seabass went fron the tail of the calico to its head, checking it out, and then it actually opened its mouth as if to eat. I'm thinking eat it, eat it! Of course he never did, but he kept right by though. Finally I decide to real slowly try to get the bass off and get a bait on there, which I did, and the seabass was still there until I put the bait in the water. That finally spooked him and he took off, leaving a big footprint right next to my kayak, pretty cool. I fished around for awhile then saw some terns working an area way behind the New Seaforth. Went over there and when I was almost there I got bit on a small spanish, turned out to be a 12lb. 12oz. yellow. Still saw some birds working so I kept fishing and about 30 mins. later I hooked about a 10lb. on the suface iron. This one I let go cause I have enough fish right now. Mondays are a good day to go, not too many people. Nice meeting you John.
GHOSTHUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:56 PM   #2
Arne

Thanks Tim - I've had wsb use my yak for cover and refuse everything I offered. Would have been really cool to see that thing eat the calico ... and would make for some interesting bait choices for some

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyuptim View Post
Mondays are a good day to go, not too many people.
shhhhhh
Arne
Old 07-16-2007, 01:03 PM   #3
ratdog

Tim, Nice to put a face with a name, Congats on the YT. See ya out there again real soon.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:20 PM   #4
Corey

Nice report. That's always cool to see a wsb in the water, whether it bites or not. Nice job on the yellows and the release.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

After an offshore trip, we stopped at barefoot bar and grill in MB and dropped some left over bait in the pond there. We happened to have a sandab leftover that we were going to keep in case we stopped for lings.. There was a a couple 30" WSB cruising around in there and one actually sucked the sandab down.. Pretty cool.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
wavster

WTG Tim. Would have been nice to trade up that Calico to the WSB...
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote