Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2015, 04:12 PM   #1
saltystouty
Junior

sit in kayak oceanworthy?

I've got a 10 foot dolphin excursion fishing kayak. It is a sit-in style. I typically fish Huntington harbor and Irvine lake with it. I want to get out on ocean I was debating going down to Dana Point and fishing around the kelp beds on the outside of the strands or something. I was wondering if anyone on this site ever took a sit-in kayak out on the ocean? Is there any reason I should not consider it? I've got a fishing vest/life jacket and a bilge pump should any significant water get into my yak. I've also got a paddle leash in case I drop it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3310.JPG (63.2 KB, 160 views)
saltystouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
MrPatrick

sit in kayak oceanworthy?

If you roll it, it might fill with water and be difficult to right. I've seen people fishing from S.I.N.K's at La Jolla but they were touring ocean yaks over 14 feet long. The gentlemen in them looked to be expert level paddlers capable of Eskimo rolling their full skirted kayaks.

Last edited by MrPatrick; 08-01-2015 at 04:20 PM.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
HobieScot

I myself wouldn't try taking a sit inside they the surf

But I would feel safer launching from a boat launch or protected type launch where you don't have to worry about taking a wave over the bow. A launch like the Coast Gaurd launch at Newport would be ideal. There are no waves and it's always an easy launch. Plus it's just a short paddle/peddle to the mouth of the harbor.

I took a two footer over the bow on Thursday that dumped a bunch of water in:/on my kayak (my fault- I wasn't paying attention)

A bilge pump would take awhile to remove that much water and if you took a second one shortly after the first and you could be in trouble in short order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:27 PM   #4
King Saba

If you don't already have a manual bilge pump I'd highly suggest one. And as far as heading out in a sit in I'd probably steer away from that idea unless the conditions are flat and lake like. Plus, having a buddy would be a good idea. When I was sporting a sit in the idea of trying kelp beds was always on my mind, but the risks behind them never made it worth it. My 2 cents.

If you do try, please be safe out there.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Years ago I started on a sit inside. A Seda Viking 15. There were no fishing kayaks or sit on tops then. Most of us carried one rod and a few lures, a gaff, life vest and just did it. No rod holders, no electronics, just us and nature. Was it safe? Most of us survived and Baja was virginal back then. Just be safe and know your limits.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:27 PM   #6
StinkyMatt

If you look around the nation (world). People have used, and are using, sit inside kayaks on the ocean.

Different safety considerations, gear, spray skirts, etc.

Native Americans have used them for a few years.

Don't be afraid, just learn the proper techniques for your yak.

Be safe, have fun.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:41 PM   #7
DanaPT

Like stinky matt said...it's been done before. I met a guy Ray at dana pt who regularly fished on a sit inside fiberglass kayak. He was an older gent and had no issues getting around. I think his kayak was the fastest I had seen... I mean this guy could track and paddle in this thing.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #8
taggermike

I used to give kayak tours on the outer bank of NC in SIS kayaks similar to the one you have. Most of my clients were total beginners. The yaks were fairly stable but some one in about each tour would cap size. Most of our area was in shallow channels so I could tow the kayak/submarine with the guest clinging to it to shore. Summer time so water was warm. 100 gallons of water wieghs in at 800 lbs. Good times. They're are rescue techniques that 2 SIS yakers can perform in open water. If youre solo, in cold or rough water, or out farther than you can swim you ought to have a good skirt. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #9
Bosowejb
Junior

I own a Malibu sit in 10 foot kayak and thats all i go out in. Ive launched out of la jolla 5 or 6 times and caught tons of fish outside the harbor in newport. So there are some of us out there that do take the risk. Just be careful and always keep your nose into wake from boats or whitecaps. I usually keep a big sponge or a cup or pump of some sort to get some of the water out because you'll always end up with water in your kayak. Been fishing with it for almost 2 years now pretty regularly...about once every 2 weeks....no problems to report yet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Bosowejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #10
h2ofishfo

No "."
Old 08-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #11
FleshandBlood

Personally I wouldn't do it. No matter how safe you are you never know what the weekend warrior yahoo in his boat is going to do. One wave rolling over your kayak from a boats wake and a sit inside is going to be filled to the brim like a bathtub.
FleshandBlood is offline   Reply With Quote