Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
fishingfiend

Fishfinder Battery Options - PowerSonic Failed

I've been running the PowerSonic 12v x 8.5ah battery since March. It's August (6 months) and the battery is toast. On my last trip, it died in just over an hour with my 597ci hd di. It's essentially worthless now. I contacted PowerSonic and didn't get any response. Might I add, bummed by their lack of support. Is a 6 month life expectancy normal with about 2 to 3 trips a month?

So now I ask, what are some other options out there for a QUALITY Battery? Keeping my FF working is very important to me!

I also ordered a Battery Tender Jr to see if I can bring this battery back from the dead.

BatteryTender
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
rayster
Junior

It should last longer but if you discharge them below 10 volts too many times it will damage the battery.
rayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
true
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfiend View Post
I've been running the PowerSonic 12v x 8.5ah battery since March. It's August (6 months) and the battery is toast. On my last trip, it died in just over an hour with my 597ci hd di. It's essentially worthless now. I contacted PowerSonic and didn't get any response. Might I add, bummed by their lack of support. Is a 6 month life expectancy normal with about 2 to 3 trips a month?

So now I ask, what are some other options out there for a QUALITY Battery? Keeping my FF working is very important to me!

I also ordered a Battery Tender Jr to see if I can bring this battery back from the dead.

BatteryTender
What we carry at OEX is a GPS 12v 10amp battery. That is what we tell people to use people because the battery will last a little longer.

Here is the link for Kayak Fishing Supplies:

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...BATTERY/Detail

You can also come into the OEX Mission Bay store and pick one up for about $35.00.
true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
mtnbykr2

I am running a 9 amp hr for my HDS5 I have the same trouble battery is lees than a month old it will not run the meter for more than 7-8 hours then dumps, so I have either got a charger that is not accurate when it is full or the battery is bad already, I was trying to find out about another battery, different technology, I will try and find the battery type.
Keep me posted with what you find with the battery tender...
Old 08-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
fishingfiend

I think Rayster may have nailed it. I run my FF until it dies on those long days and I've seen about 8volts before my FF turns off the last couple of trips. If under 10volts is bad, then I'm killing my battery. The battery tender jr. just arrived (Amazon Prime Rocks!) so I'll see if I can recover the battery and do some testing under load. I'll report back.
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote