Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-14-2018, 05:14 PM   #1
hiramehunter

First hooping of 2018

Been busy so this Saturday night was the first opportunity to go hooping. Spent most of the day prepping and making sure I had everything including my lobster License.
Got to Redondo around 9:30pm. I wanted to get our earlier but between Saturday night church, dinner with friends, and a quick stop at CVS to get some Bonine (since I forgot them at home), this was the best I could do. But sometimes you just go when you can!!

Since this was my session this year, I just wanted to make sure all of my gear worked. So my first set was near the entrance to the marina. Outside wall near where the wall height changes. Maybe 30’ off the wall. Used salmon heads and mackerel.
Winds were about 5 knots and minimal swell. It was also cool to see the moon set.
Soaked each set (2 nets) about 15-20 minutes and yielded a bunch of shorts. By 11pm, they were coming up empty and I was starting to get seasick so i called it a night.

Some improvements for next session:
1. Get a headlamp (ordered) - I couldn’t find mine so it was a bit tough using a flashlight. The flashlight also started blinking red whenever it got wet!
2. Need to add some lights to the kayak. I couldn’t find my light stick from last year.
3. Add a third hoop net.
4. Figure out how to store my paddle quickly without getting in the way of the hoop nets, rope, etc...
5. Take Bonine hours before
6. Get out a little earlier
7. Find a friend with a boat!

Things that went right:
1. Hoop net setup worked great!
2. The new promar baitjar seemed to work well.
3. I got to get out and hoop net!!

No pics since it was dark and I didn’t get any keepers
hiramehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:49 PM   #2
DanaPT

I think you need 5 nets to increase your odds. Also. This season leaning towards 35 40 minute soaks.

This season isn't like I remembered from the past, but keep at it they may show up.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:30 PM   #3
Raskal311

15-20 is way to quick. 30-45 and up to an hour soak is my typical.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:07 PM   #4
LEEZO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
15-20 is way to quick. 30-45 and up to an hour soak is my typical.
X2
LEEZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
Semper Fi-shing

I let them soak for 10 minutes. No sense in letting a basket full of undersized bugs clear out your bait cage. I usually set my nets right before the sun goes down though
Old 10-15-2018, 03:32 PM   #6
jorluivil

It's not uncommon for me to let my nets soak 45-60 minutes, I've left them as long as 90 minutes. As far as a headlamp goes don't be afraid to spend $40 - $60 dollars for a waterproof headlamp (stay away from those Home Depot lamps). I purchased my Black Diamond headlamp at REI about 4yrs ago and it still works everytime I press the button, the only thing I need to do each year is replace the batteries.

You should get yourself a tote, gear bag or something similar that can hold all of your lobster gear/accessories, it will help you on and off the season by keeping you organized. I have a tote and a gear bag, at the end of the season I simply place all of my gear in the tote/bag and put it away with the rest of my gear.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:57 PM   #7
Semper Fi-shing

Haha ok. I have too much ADD to let my set soak for more than 30 minutes. In which case if I only pull up a bunch of babies with not a single keeper per set, then time to pull up and go home. After a while, the smell of bait, bird, andd seal poop from the jetty gets to be a bit much