Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
5-20

LJ: 7/14

Got out on the water around 3p and paddled straight out into a pretty strong SW wind. I won't say the XFactor's slow but I can understand why it has that rep. Felt like it was taking a pretty good effort to make it out of the bay, more than it did the first time I took it out on that calm morning a few days ago. Took some time to fill up the livewell. That was a pretty good undertaking in itself. Seemed like the macks were in the upper part of the water column not too far from the kelp and I'd make 2-3 casts with the sabiki and before I'd know it, I'd find myself a football field away from where I made my first cast and not getting any bites. Probably took me 30-40 mins and 3-4 football field sized paddles to get 3 good macks I felt happy with.

Paddled out to the area I wanted to fish. Hooked the biggest and plumpest mack I had. Let out a little line. Paddled for a minute, let out a little more line. Paddled for probably less than a minute and woaahhhh.... my rod's totally bent over. I've got a monster on and I had my drag set pretty tight and that fish's ripping line off and then it got caught in some kelp. I spent the next 20+ minutes. I'm not sure how long it was, really, fighting that fish under some kelp. That fish would rip drag, I'd put pressure on it and we'd do it all over again and we simply weren't going anywhere. It was pretty exhausting. I'd feel the rod vibrating every minute or so -- it was pretty cool. Not really sure what the fish was doing to to transmit that type of feeling.

Then finally.... POW!!! My first thought was the line broke, but nope, it was just the line snapping through the kelp and the fish was finally swimming free. I'm furiously cranking down on it, trying to get its head up and it towed me probably 75+ feet in a few seconds......... straight in the direction of the kelp forest. I couldn't help but laugh at what I was pretty sure was gonna happen. And yeah, that fish got tangled up in some more kelp!

I put as much pressure on that fish as I could for probably 10-15 more minutes and I decided to put the major heavy on that thing by pulling on my Phenix PSW 700H as much as I could... and then there was another POW!!!

But that was my rod breaking.....

Oh boy....

What an experience...

I paddled around for a couple more hours, probably. That was the only bite I had. The dogs stole my last 2 macks pretty quickly.

I thought I'd coast in on the way back with that wind at my back, but nope, it totally died down. Ha... ended up getting another good workout...

Giant yellowtail?

Question -- I had 65 lb. izor spectra with around 6' of 40 lb. seaguar premier.
Would it have made a difference going with a shorter leader? Would that have enabled the spectra to cut through the kelp a little easier? I tried everything I could think of, from pulling on that fish as hard as I could to letting it take line out for a little. Was hoping it'd eventually run free or at least I'd create a bit of a sawing effect that'd help cut through the kelp...

Really, I'm wondering if I should have hammered down on the fish and have the drag set at 90-100 pct when I set the hook instead of the 70% I probably had it on when the fish started running, especially being so close to the kelp?

Oh boy... would've loved seeing that fish!

5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:20 PM   #2
skrilla

Heartbreaker. 6ft leader is fine. Sounds like if you were already sawing thru the kelp then you're on the right track. If I'm hung up I like to keep steady pressure on the fish and let the thumping saw the kelp for me, no need to try and yank it out while its wrapped up. But every now and then they do come off no matter what you do.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:17 PM   #3
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Heartbreaker Dude!
65# Spectra W/only 6' of 40#leader should have been fine (I have 60# PP HollowAce spliced to 40# Seaguar fluorocarbon.
Sound like you just ran into a PIG! Hope you enjoyed the sleigh ride he took you on.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #4
h2ofishfo

Man U broke a phenix?! Guess you pulled harder then those 25# plates they demo and swear there unbreakable. You just got kelp keep the pressure steady and feel for those pops some people let out line sometimes I think that makes it worse as the YT starts spiraling around more kelp and in turn repositions the hook placement and more possibility of the hook popping out
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
5-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
Man U broke a phenix?! Guess you pulled harder then those 25# plates they demo and swear there unbreakable.

Well, what can I say... I used to play a bit of football (puffing out my chest) and I try to stay in shape by lifting every now and then...

#humblebrag

Really, what I am a bit proud about is that my rod broke before any of my knots failed...

Hmmmmmm... oh boy... got a big decision on my hands now. Drive up to the factory and get a new one on the spot or just send it in and wait however long... sigh...
Old 07-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
cell128
lizard king

I been out 3 times counting today to la Jolla never hooked on anything big. How far u guys go out? We went out 21/2 to 3 miles today it was about 110 ft at the deepest. Saw a bunch of other yaks but no one was hooking up. On the way out we met a fellow bwe member he said one guy got a nice yellow. Even making bait was a little rough today 3 spanish macks suffered a horrible death to the dogs.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:24 PM   #7
Widgeon

Wow.
I can't imagine how you could break a rod like that under standard fishing conditions. I've done stupid things with lesser rods and been surprised that they didn't break. Seems like you would just about have to slam it in your car door to break a phenix.
Congrats on hooking the right kind.
Ii have yet to do that on the yak.
Widgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #8
Dannowar

I saw some yellowtail in the kelp today ; )
Old 07-15-2014, 10:58 PM   #9
Casey

Water has been so warm could have been anything, but I have seen a lot of leopard sharks lately.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:33 AM   #10
5-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell128 View Post
I been out 3 times counting today to la Jolla never hooked on anything big. How far u guys go out?

I don't know about the other guys but i have a battleship for a boat instead of some of those lean, sleek and nimble crafts most of the other guys paddle. So, i guess i consider myself lucky if i'm able to make it past the buoys. That's usually a good day for me and i can go home and have a beer, fully satisfied with the work i've put in. But then again, as i get out more and more, hopefully i'll build up a bit of endurance and add a bit of distance to my trips.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #11
h2ofishfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell128 View Post
I been out 3 times counting today to la Jolla never hooked on anything big. How far u guys go out? We went out 21/2 to 3 miles today it was about 110 ft at the deepest. Saw a bunch of other yaks but no one was hooking up. On the way out we met a fellow bwe member he said one guy got a nice yellow. Even making bait was a little rough today 3 spanish macks suffered a horrible death to the dogs.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
take your time and find the green backs !! The green back bait balls look differ than Spanish a lot tighter smaller and dense if u catch Spanish move !!
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #12
Calicokiller15
Junior

Landed 1 yellow around 12:30 that day. Spanish macs are fine. Got mine on spanish. Little guy. Lost a bigger model to the kelp as well. Its all about how you hook your baits really
Calicokiller15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #13
Calicokiller15
Junior

5/0 ahi twist to straight 30# mono hook through back meat so it dives and swims like a marauder
Calicokiller15 is offline   Reply With Quote