Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2005, 12:25 PM   #1
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

LJ Sat, its a Hali, no a YT, no a shark, no a WSB.....

Well, hit up OB pier last night to check the surf, it was pumping, head high, decided to pack for La Jolla...

Drove by the pier in the morning, and it actually looked launchable, but I have done that in the past and landed in some mean surf! :shock:

Got to the launch at 5:30AM, I believe Rastrev, and I were the first there, actually got a coveted Ave de Playa front row parking. Ankle high surf, and very glassy, saw a sealion chasing bait fish in about 4 ft of H20. Made our way to the pier, water was dark and glassy, slight bio luminescence. Made some nice candy bar greenies, 3 at a time. Where the heck where these baits, in July for me!! :twisted:

Got to catch the sunrise at Scripps pier..... Heard Brad and brother on the radio, finally met up with them along the cliffs between Scripps Pier and Blacks...

Looked like Mad's bro was bendo! Must of been a rock bass! :lol:

It was a strange day, the fog would come in and out, then the wind would blow, then stop... Caught a pic of Rastrev with the fog rolling in... The cliffs running north sort of reminded me of Colonet...

Finally worked our way back, heard of slow reports on the VHF by Brad, and Adi... I was using two bounce ball rigs for MR. FLATTY, dragging them as I paddled, just about gave up, when both of my rods went ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!! BENDO!!!!!!!! I instinctively grab my rod on my right, at set the hook, the other rod still ZZZZZZZZ, throw it in gear, hope the circle hook does its job. The rod I grabbed is pulling #50 spectra hard. I fight this monster, thinking BIG FLATTY!! It just help deep, then hard runs... Not sure what it is, then after about 20 mins or so.....lost track of time.......Maybe a rogue YT.........I see color, a shark!! No, wait it has a cadual fin.........WSB!!!!YAH, SWEET!!!!!............It gets closer, Its a Black sea Bass, about #60ish!! I was stoked what a way to end the day. It splashes me at the surface making another run, finally snapping my fluoro. I figured just as well, rather than handle it... I hear "now there has to be a story behind that?" It was C-Level.... Good seeing you out there... Hopefully your late start paid off!

Caught this shot of the pier on the way in...

On the way in saw a pod of dolphins just outside the surf, what a day! Trevor almost wipes out!!! But ends up pulling off a semi-dry landing.

TL,

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote