Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
fishindan
Junior

La Jolla 10/27 Report

Launched at LJ on Saturday 10/27 with Brian from OEX. He had brought with him a bunch of mussels that he got at Mission Beach to do some fishing for Sheephead. A few others launched around the same time looking for yellowtail. Turns out we were the fortunate ones.

Surf was small and it was an easy launch. Lots of clouds in the sky and a bit of fog. Light rain showers moved in later in the morning. We spent the morning until noon around the kelp beds feeding mussels to the fish on the bottom. Even after what seemed like thousands of mussels, I still can't get the hang of keeping that stuff on a small hook. One little tap tap and the stuff would be gone.

Fortunately, I'm happy to report that we were both able to get our limits of Sheephead. This is my first time out that I've actually caught something worth eating so it was a banner day for me. Yak fishing is fun! And I didn't even lose a rod in the surf. . .even better. Here's a picture of my humble catch (sorry no 30#rs) - still these were good eats yesterday evening :

fishindan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:37 PM   #2
nunyabizness1
Maggie

How fun!! I want to try that! Where do you find the mussels and what type of hook and line did you use?
nunyabizness1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:04 PM   #3
Dan

nice herd! are they, like, the new yellowtail??
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
fishindan
Junior

Easy fishin for these guys - could do this every day if I had the time. I didn't get the mussels but evidently any of the ones off the inlet rocks at mission beach will do fine - make sure to bring a stiff knife to break them off. Just use a 2 or 3 ounce weight at the bottom and a small hook off the side a little ways up.

I'm going for the goats next time. . .and yes 12" is the minimum size - we tossed a couple back that need to grow up and become big fat yellowtail - oh wait, that was in my dreams. . .
fishindan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:49 PM   #5
nunyabizness1
Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishindan View Post
Easy fishin for these guys - could do this every day if I had the time. I didn't get the mussels but evidently any of the ones off the inlet rocks at mission beach will do fine - make sure to bring a stiff knife to break them off. Just use a 2 or 3 ounce weight at the bottom and a small hook off the side a little ways up.

I'm going for the goats next time. . .and yes 12" is the minimum size - we tossed a couple back that need to grow up and become big fat yellowtail - oh wait, that was in my dreams. . .
Thanks for letting me know! I'm going to have to try it now!
nunyabizness1 is offline   Reply With Quote