Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
tmc
Junior

The two that got away...

I launched at LJ around 5:05am and got out to about 80' before I hit a school of green backs. I only planned to fish a couple hours, so I only put 3 in the bait tank and went out to about 110' and saw a shark swim by. Decided to flyline a mack and didn't have any bites for about 45 min as I wsa just slowly trolling the area.

Then, after I was about ready to head back in at 7am, I handed off one of my 3 green backs to a guy who was just catching spanish macks and decided to wait another 15 min before heading in. Trolled back to the south a little, then I saw the tail. It went straight for the mack, wacked him and then thrashed a little as he ate the bugger. This was my first thresher, so I got a little too excited and clicked the reel without noticing my drag was too tight and snap... the leader broke.

I saw another one jump out of the water right before my line broke, so I hurried and got my last green back on the hook and double checked my drag. This time the thresher ran fast and hard as soon as he hit the mack and my stupid line dug into the reel and again.. snap.

So, I was stoked to hook up 2 thresher, but pissed that I wasn't prepared. I only had my sabiki pole and this one pole this morning and I was set up with heavy braid to a 30lb floro leader. Was hoping more for YT, but found sharks instead.

I am all ears for what setup your guys use to catch thresher, as I would like to give it another go, but be more prepared this time as far as setup, drag, how much line to give and when, etc.

I am pretty new to ocean fishing, so I know I probably made a lot of mistakes. The biggest fish I've ever caught is a 32" northern pike, so salt water fish seem huge to me and have way more power than anything I've caught before.

-Trent
tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Mtobolsky
Loves his member

Wade???
Mtobolsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
wade

What do you ultimately plan on doing with it Trent?

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
tmc
Junior

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you asking why I want to catch a shark? I like fishing and like catching all types of fish.

If you are asking if I am keeping or releasing, the answer is mostly release. I've kept 3 out of the 100+ fish I've caught this year. Most were from my trip to MN where between 4 of us we caught over 500 fish and we ate two walleye and one pike and released the rest. So if I caught a shark, I'd probably keep one per year or so and try and release the rest. I hope I answered your question. I'm new here so I'm not sure if you meant something else, if so, just let me know.

Thanks Rolly for the PM, I appreciate the tips and the help.

-Trent
Old 07-27-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
WahooUSMA

Catching T's are a kick in the nuts! Kudo's for wanting to release. Beautiful species......I've caught a lot of them, just haven't kept one - yet. Nothing against those that keep 'em, because they make the best fish tacos. I'll probably keep one soon, since my supply of T-meat is running low, and it's pissing Premo off when I ask him for T steaks every now and then....

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Dan

welcome.

2-3/0 circle hooks are a good way to fish live bait and get that nice corner shot on the sharks. J hooks will often set inside the mouth or deeper, they'll usually chew you off. 30# gear should be fine for the sharks you would want to deal with on a kayak....this is also a good rig for the other targets out there...with all your fishing experience, you'll figure out the drag settings just fine.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
tmc
Junior

Wahoo, let me know when you want to go out and show me how ; )

I actually have just been hitting the spots that were marked on the GPS from the previous owner... so far they've all produced fish (some were just 17" calico, but fish none the less).

Thanks Dan. I used 2/0 Owner hooks on these 2, and the way I lost them, I know that my main problem was the gear I was using. I had a crappy Okuma reel which I bought in March when I was 'testing out' kayak fishing. I just went out and picked up a new Avet reel and love the feel and the ease of adjusting the drag. I will give it another go with a good reel where I can adjust the drag with more confidence.

What's a good second reel that I can pick up to have for for YT? All suggestions and feedback appreciated.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
wade

A good reel for is the Daiwa Sealine 40Sha hands down..Cheap Light & Great.
&
My opinion would greatly vary dependent upon his final outcome..By no means am I some reincarnation of Frank Mundus or any kind of expert. maybe a few safety tips to keep in mind when dealing with Mr. T you can get out of this?..Since you mention he is for sport & ultimately he will be released,you can still land these LJ pups-med sized Threshers on the same standard YT live bait rigs & it provides a much more sporting chance..& at the same time but most importantly, you can still catch a much better meal (/) that won't be line shy like having a 80# cable in the water only for sharks..Drags out of a 1-10 rating I would go with a 3-4 to start..take it easy at first, your gonna have to feel him out and finesse it in the beginning..I have landed and cleanly released up to 170#+ Threshers on a 3-5' /30-40# Floro leader/barrel swivel/65 spectra /or 40# mono. Flylined or usually the basic Carolina rig w/1-2 oz egg..You can return to that same spot tomorrow, or go just off that shoulder in one seventy+ for their larger siblings..The day you do keep one, take a smaller one under 90#.They are beautiful creatures, and rightfully so.. They clean up our oceans of the sick. With that said, thats exactly why you want a smaller one with less concentrations of toxic metals ect..(To each their own, but I Only release my sharks. I don't even have one kill for all Sharks I've caught from Belmar NJ all the way down the East Coast to Miami, and all the way around & up the Gulf coast of Florida to date.)Most sharks here will take a 5-150 yard dash upon hookset.Then when they realize once again that this is their playground and not yours, they eight out of ten times turn a 180 and head in the direct direction of the resistance, just to see who the hell you are, wizzing by u @ 30 mph!?! This is when your line is going to go super slack & you'll need to wind like a mad man!..Hopefully you have a 6:1 ratio, and not my vintage reels' ratio of -.9:1 I experienced just the other day..He will probably zip right within inches of you now, or even bust an aerial feet from your bow once you go tight again..watch out for that damn tail at all times..or he may sound and start doing the spins on ya!..
I finally grab their tail the second or third time I'm able bring them around, to test out how green they still are before attempting any hook removal..(Pay attention not to grab someone elses iron previously embedded in it..)If he is tail hooked the chances of him dying multiply ten fold..your drowning him fast..So if you really plan on releasing him, hopefully you can break off or quickly & cleanly remove the rig & release immediately.. They need forward movement to breath..Try to identify asap where he is hooked from the start. The fight game plan will change.. The faster the better..aim for under 30 seconds.(once yak side) have pliers ready to go..Be safe & ready for anything..They are alot of fun but they demand respect, take extra care( of him) if u really intended on releasing them..

Last edited by wade; 07-27-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: typo
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc View Post
Wahoo, let me know when you want to go out and show me how ; )

I actually have just been hitting the spots that were marked on the GPS from the previous owner... so far they've all produced fish (some were just 17" calico, but fish none the less).

Thanks Dan. I used 2/0 Owner hooks on these 2, and the way I lost them, I know that my main problem was the gear I was using. I had a crappy Okuma reel which I bought in March when I was 'testing out' kayak fishing. I just went out and picked up a new Avet reel and love the feel and the ease of adjusting the drag. I will give it another go with a good reel where I can adjust the drag with more confidence.

What's a good second reel that I can pick up to have for for YT? All suggestions and feedback appreciated.
Might go out Saturday...I hate weekends though! My son is home on leave and only has 1.5 weeks before he has to report back. So this weekend might be perfect. He is dying to catch a T before he has to leave So. Ca! I'll check with him and PM you if its a go!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
Nic D

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooUSMA View Post
Might go out Saturday...I hate weekends though! My son is home on leave and only has 1.5 weeks before he has to report back. So this weekend might be perfect. He is dying to catch a T before he has to leave So. Ca! I'll check with him and PM you if its a go!
I hear they are thick right now
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:03 AM   #11
tmc
Junior

Great info Wade. Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge/experience. I'll go check out that Daiwa reel.

Wahoo, sounds good. I get back from Vegas Friday night, but I'll be up for launching anytime after 5:30am.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
herefishyfishy!

Trent "the lizardfish king" Chapman! Glad you got a taste of La Jolla!

A absolute gem of a reel for throwing iron, ranked #1 in several fishing mags in the Torium by Shimano. Bulletproof, great drags, excellent casting. Its not Avet but its also 1/2 -1/3 of the price to. Depends on what jig stick to pair it with but I got a 9 ft. Seeker with a Torium 16 and can throw a half mile with that thing its seems like, sitting in a kayak.

When we going out next? Text me and let me know what works for you and TicYakToe.

Evan
Old 07-28-2010, 03:49 PM   #13
tmc
Junior

Evan, I'm pretty sure Mr. TikYakToe caught more lizardfish than me last Thursday in the bay. I plan on going out to LJ Saturday morning. I get back from Vegas Friday night.

I'll check out the shimano and compare the feel with the daiwa. I'm not as concerned about price as much as a good reel that won't cause me to lose a fish. But if the shimano works just as well as an Avet, I'll check it out.