Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
Drake

Servicing Hobie rudder?

My rudder has a weird feel to it. It's just not smooth. It is very very stiff, and it feels like its getting caught up on something when I try to turn it. Is this something a simple greasing can fix, or something I might need to have looked out by a pro?

Another thing I noticed, is that if it's pointed all the way left or right and I peddle, it just goes forward. I have to center it and then put it back to the side to get a response. It also makes a noice like a clunk almost. Went out with another guy who has a PA and his doesn't do the same thing.

Last edited by Drake; 03-25-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

start by popping the rudder access and see if something is binding or out of place there.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
jorluivil

Speaking of rudders.......while fishing at DP Saturday I noticed that mine had some up/down play on it, it felt weird. When I got home I made a phone call and was told to remove the sticker that covers the screw that holds the handle in place and tighten the bolt using an allen wrench. I'm glad I checked immediately because I was able to give it at least one full turn before it actually felt like it was starting to tighten up. I would have hated for the handle to come off at the worst possible time.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Speaking of rudders.......while fishing at DP Saturday I noticed that mine had some up/down play on it, it felt weird. When I got home I made a phone call and was told to remove the sticker that covers the screw that holds the handle in place and tighten the bolt using an allen wrench. I'm glad I checked immediately because I was able to give it at least one full turn before it actually felt like it was starting to tighten up. I would have hated for the handle to come off at the worst possible time.
Happend to me about 4 miles from a launch and let me tell you it isn't fun
to steer a Hobie without a rudder, the lesson here is IMO check your equipment every so often, I check bolts and fasteners, drive and rudder operation the night before I leave, or sooner, cause there is nothin like paddling a tupperware bowl for a few miles...lol