Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Alaska

Looking for some advice on Alaska vacation/fishing. I want to take my father to Alaska this summer. Can't affor to hit the big resorts and I am looking for some nice places to stay that won't break the bank, any packages would be good too. My father is getting up there, 74 yrs young but cant go out on a boat and get pounded with swells. Looking to do some sight seeing (Egles, Moose ect), relaxing, and hopefully a day or two of calm water fishing, even fishing from the banks is good. I have never been to Alaska but love the mtns and wildlife. My father moved us to Big Bear Lake when I was young and spent a considerable ammount of time up the hill. Appreciate any good feedback you guys got as I know many of ya have been to God's Country, not to say that LJ aint Thanks in advance!
Todd
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
MuddyMike

I don't have any services to recommend, but I'd look around the Kenai.

It's just south of Anchorage so you won't have to travel too far after flying in. I took a month and traveled around Alaska in '10, ... it's a big place and this area probably has the most sight seeing & activities in a relatively small area. (within a few hours driving)

I'm not a big fan of Anchorage itself because I don't want to be in a big city when I'm visiting Alaska, but as you go south (or any direction), there's some amazing country. A popular fishing area along the Kenai river seemed to be Cooper Landing.

Homer, Seward, & Valdez are all around that general area.

I put in 10,000 miles on my motorcycle that trip so I wasn't able to stay in any one place and enjoy it more than a day or 2. The Kenai Peninsula is one of the first places I want to re-visit to spend a little more time exploring and enjoying... although anywhere you go up there is going to be a trip of a lifetime.

Mid June through July is probably the best time for the weather.

Here's some pictures of my way down the peninsula around 10-11 pm.

And the best Halibut sandwich I'll probably ever have, from Homer.
MuddyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
grey zone

Valdez is an easy trip that you might like. There is a large run of Silver salmon in late August. The fish travel up the Valdez arm which is long and protected. No big ocean swells. When the fish reach Valdez you can catch them from the city dock or from shore at Alison pt. The limit on Silvers is generous so a few days of fishing should provide plenty of fish.

You can get to Valdez by flying which is about a 40 min flight or you can drive there from Anchorage which is a little over 300 miles. I was in Valdez last summer for the silver run and the place was loaded with campers rented in Anchorage. Driving is a great way to see scenery and is more predictable than flying. If you do fly I recommend getting a rental car at least on the days your not on a boat fishing. I stayed at the Best Western which had reasonable rates and is walking distance to everything, and they have a shuttle that will take you to the airport. The BW was under new management and the new managers just relocated from Big Bear.

Good luck!
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
bigbarrels

If you do the Kenai penninsula.....find a place with a private beach access on the Kenai River. I was there about 5 years ago and the public access areas was full on shoulder to shoulder combat fishing. It was a blast but crowded for sure. Awhile ago I was on VRBO and saw a couple that rented out a condo right on the Kenai with private river access and it just seemed like the way to go.....good luck! I came home with 100 lbs of filets between the ocean and river fish I caught.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

I've been to AK dozens of times, I have a brother(AK Nat Guard) and a sister up there...my mom was too until she passed away a few years back. I've worked as a deck hand on a drift boat on the Kenai and at the salamatof seafoods cannery.

I'm partial to the Kenai/Soldotna area for salmon, in 96 I caught the summer record King salmon(@ 16..although I didn't buy a derby ticket so there went a few grand D'Oh!). That fish is hanging on the wall at my dads house. The combat fishing is going to be a problem just about anywhere with an airport nearby, or anywhere with a reputation(like kenai for example, double whammy). However a good drift boat guide should be able to get you on the fish for relatively cheap, and they'll probably point you in the right direction if you want some secluded shore fishing where you can relax, after you've spent a day on their boat.

One thing you have to do is familiarize yourself with the regs for the time you plan to be there, down to the day of the week and the exact location you plan to fish. They don't mess around in AK when it comes to F&G regs...they will take your gear and vehicle if they can. They're nothing like the F&G we have down here.

Depending on what you're going to fish you'll need to plan the timing of your trip accordingly.

There's too much info to just give you all of it, if you have specific questions I'd be happy to try and help. Keep in mind I haven't been back since 06' (just before my mom passed) so I may not be up to date on some things...

Once you go to Alaska the memories will stick with you for the rest of your life, it's like nothing you've ever seen before.

BTW, if you like catching the "halibut" we have down here, you MUST get onto a halibut charter in Homer...it'll ruin CA halibut until you finally forget just how big the ones in AK are.
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
Taylor Charters near Glacier Bay

Look up Taylor Charters and Glacier Bay Country inn - Some of the very Best Halibut and King Salmon fishing in Alaska. I bought 2 more trips...I am going back in June 2012 and July 2013. The lodging and family style meals are great. It is in Gustavus Alaska near Glacier Bay - You could fish with them for a couple of days and maybe try for Sockeye Salmon in the river. Then you can go up and visit Glacier Bay on a boat with the National Park service. The Glacier Bay Country inn vacuum packs your fish for the airplane and also provide drop off and pickup to the airport and the Glacier Bay National Park and other local activities.

My Trip pictures are here...click slideshow in the upper right hand corner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdhuntf...7621786626880/

Here is the Glacier Bay Country Inn
http://www.glacierbayalaska.com/#

Greg's website is being re-done right now so it is not working at all.
http://taylorchartersfishing.com/ (800) 292-2010

here is the Glacier Bay Tour Boat
http://www.nps.gov/glba/planyourvisi...-tour-boat.htm

Last edited by Old Man in the Sea; 03-26-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Thanks for the advice fellas, really appreciate it! Hopefully I make it up there this summer!

Cheers
Todd
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote