Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-12-2016, 10:06 AM   #21
Gigafish

I've had a similar experience except my Malibu extreme filled through the bait tank opening. I was able bilge the water out with a hand pump but I was exhausted to continue fishing. I learned always to watch how my kayak sits on top of the water.

While out practicing launching and landing at D.P. I was doing great until I launched through a huge wave. Kayak flipped and the rod leash wrapped around my neck. It wasn't easy to get unwrapped only to be slammed by another wave. It was the end of practicing as I was dazed and exhausted.

While out of cherry beach in L.B.. I flipped my kayak only 200 yds from shore. It was during very bad conditions. I was the only kayaker that chose to stay out. I wasn't concerned with the waves because the waves are not that big. Flipped the kayak on a sneaker and lost everything. I was lucky to flip the kayak right side up only to have the kayak filled with water. I was lucky to get the kayak to shore dazed and exhausted.

Scupper holes and center hatch will keep a watchful eye as what could go wrong. Glad that you and your kid are ok.

Situations turn from 0 to 100000000............
Always be prepared.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:49 PM   #22
pingpangdang

Glad you both are ok. A couple of days ago a young man went missing. Only 22 years old. Reportedly a wave knocked the two boaters in the water. One made it back to the bost to call Coast Guard...the other was never found. This was near Catalina Island. Both were not wearing flotation devices.

I stuffed my kayak with 6 pool noodles. It should at least keep the kayak from submerging completely. I have a diy livewell that can also be used as a bilge. Instead of letting it hang over the side pumping water into my bait tank I can grab it and place it inside to pump water out if necessary. I also bring floating fins for self rescue if required.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:53 PM   #23
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpangdang View Post
I stuffed my kayak with 6 pool noodles. It should at least keep the kayak from submerging completely.
You sure 6 will keep it up? I mean if you're going to do it, you gotta put enough or it's like having none.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:13 PM   #24
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
You sure 6 will keep it up? I mean if you're going to do it, you gotta put enough or it's like having none.
I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to just use pour foam, pour it in from the hatch to fill the bow and stern. if you use the light weight stuff you could fill to the hatches and have floatation plus it would take away space for water to fill.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:31 PM   #25
da22y

This is much better than the noodles...

https://www.amazon.com/Harmony-Vinyl...otation+Bag%3A
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:14 AM   #26
PapaDave

This is better, IMHO...

https://www.amazon.com/GREAT-STUFF-W...rds=spray+foam

(It's only 3.99 at WalMart, and will fill a good portion of your hull)
Old 06-13-2016, 07:33 AM   #27
mpc

RE : pool noodles. I recently added some to my boat project to fill some miscellaneous voids for more floatation. I did a crude water test with weight tied to a noodle because I was curious. It calculated out to a 4' Dollar Store noodle being able to float about 10 pounds of weight. Your mileage may vary.
mpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:53 AM   #28
pingpangdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Not sure....if I had a pool it would be cool to do a video....found nothing on youtube. Any volunteer Mythbusters out there? My kayak is a beater yak (might upgrade in the future but it works for now) weight is a little under 50lbs unloaded. Should keep it from submerging down deep at least. I have one thick monster noodle as well 5-6" diameter.

On a surf day out on it I'll flood it up at the beach to find out.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:01 AM   #29
pingpangdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpangdang View Post
Not sure....if I had a pool it would be cool to do a video....found nothing on youtube. Any volunteer Mythbusters out there? My kayak is a beater yak (might upgrade in the future but it works for now) weight is a little under 50lbs unloaded. Should keep it from submerging down deep at least. I have one thick monster noodle as well 5-6" diameter.

On a surf day out on it I'll flood it up at the beach to find out.

It just gives me piece of mind if a big shark took a curiosity bite and punctured my hull. If i can keep the yak from going totally submerged I can at least have a floating barrier to try and hide from some teeth.

I'm more worried about driving to and from the beach than sharks. If it were to happen I'd rather have a semisubmerged kayak vice no kayak and just me and my pfd.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:55 PM   #30
fongman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
I was reading this thread on iboats.com about using Great Stuff for Marine applications. This one guy made a lot of sense. Take it for what it is worth. "Great stuff is great for sealing up around doors and windows in the house but for what you are intending I would say it sucks. Take one can of it and try to fill a one cubic foot cardboard box. Ain't gonna happen. On top of that it will be wet forever in thick sections. The pourable foam expand much more and is a two part mix that cures solid in about 15 minutes. It is worth the extra money but I don't think there is extra money."

I have researched the 2 part pour foam for one of my projects. It is the recommended type of foam for marine applications. It comes in different weights; 2lb, 4lb, 6lb, 8lb, etc. The weight refers to the weight of 1 cubic foot when using each of those foams. The heavier the foam, the higher the density and the harder the foam. The 2 and 4 lb density foams expand the most and are used for flotation. Here's a link to a SD company that carries it. Check out the FAQ if you have any questions. 1 cu ft of 2 lb density foam will float about 60 lbs, so your kayak would take about 1 cu ft of this foam. You would need the 1/2 gallon kit (1 qt of part A and 1 qt of part B) of the 2 lb density foam since it makes 2 cubic feet.

You have to work fast with it. After about 20 seconds of mixing, you have less than a minute to pour it before it starts to rise. In 3-4 minutes it is getting hard.
fongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #31
jruiz
Large Member

So basically everyone is converting their sit on top kayaks to stand up paddle boards.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #32
Starsky

Seriously guys, kayak fishing has been around a long time, things like this happen. I don't think we need to fill our hulls with foam, as long as we follow all the safety guidelines and keep a watchful eye, we can be prepared for a situation like this. It's not the first time and definitely won't be the last, I think you guys are over-thinking this.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:56 PM   #33
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
Seriously guys, kayak fishing has been around a long time, things like this happen. I don't think we need to fill our hulls with foam, as long as we follow all the safety guidelines and keep a watchful eye, we can be prepared for a situation like this. It's not the first time and definitely won't be the last, I think you guys are over-thinking this.
That's a bit of an understatement.

I think I'll take some milk jugs, fill them with expanding foam, tie the milk jugs to buoys and stick them in my haul......that'll keep it from sinking.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:18 PM   #34
driftwood

Old 06-13-2016, 07:49 PM   #35
fongman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
........ I think you guys are over-thinking this.
AGREED. I personally wouldn't do it, but if he is going to do it, he might as well do it right!
fongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:19 AM   #36
2-Stix

Good job being a good dad. The better halfs don't understand it, but that is exactly what you were. God had his hand on that day.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:13 PM   #37
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/in...p?topic=2759.0

Found this thread on nor call anglers,

I read through all of it, this guy tried x 30 closed foam made a mess, he concluded it needs to be added during the manufacturing process.

Mostly everyone concluded, stuffedd your kayak with pool noodles, put enough noodles that your kayak doesn't sink stern or bow first.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #38
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

It's been a little while since i've posted much on this site. Glad you guys made it back safe and determined the what caused the water leak. And i'm very surprised that your gear was still there. Even the wallet and keys.

BTW, i'm the guy who scooped you and your son out of the water.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:43 PM   #39
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentek9 View Post
It's been a little while since i've posted much on this site. Glad you guys made it back safe and determined the what caused the water leak. And i'm very surprised that your gear was still there. Even the wallet and keys.

BTW, i'm the guy who scooped you and your son out of the water.

Thank you!

We can not reveal any more information about this tragic incident.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:38 PM   #40
Hammerhead_77

I had a recent trip where I ended up with over 3" of water in my PA...I guessed about 15-20 gallons...120-180 pounds! the water all came in through the rear hatch. the bait tank was not draining out through the scupper cleanly. I didn't notice until I was really tired trying to get back in against a tide...

like you, I suddenly realized that much of the emergency gear i carry is not going save the yak, just the people. That said, i don't need all that empty space in the hull for anything, so now its full of pool noodles.
Hammerhead_77 is offline   Reply With Quote