Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
tasteslikechikn54

Bait rod question... Help needed...

When making bait, other than a sabiki rod, what rod can I use to make bait? I'm looking to get out tomorrow out of LJ and fish out there for my first time... Picking up my Malibu from oex tomorrow... Will have fish finder, bait tube and a couple of rods... Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks.
tasteslikechikn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
StinkyMatt

Many people like the soft action of a medium/ bass rod. The soft action often prevents bait from falling off early. Some people use a "broom stick" action rod without any bend or even a PVC pipe rod. Pretty much anything will work, don't overthink it!

Good luck out there.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
xpresso2am

light rods are good, but remember big fish bite sabiki's too. you can pretty much us anything...its just bait!

Best of luck and congrats on the new yak
xpresso2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
tasteslikechikn54

Thanks guys, much appreciated... Well see how it goes. With spring right around the corner, any yellows being caught out there recently? Just curious to see what's biting... If all else fails, I guess there's always bottom critters... Thanks.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
rogersmith

I used to use a sabiki rod but prefer to carry less out there, so I just clip the sabiki rig to the ring on my ringed fly liner hooks
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
mtnbykr2

I am gonna stick my .02 cents in here, I started with using a regular bass type rod with sabiki, then as time passed I thought the hooks on the sabiki were always getting caught on everything, so I got a sabiki rod and had it shortened for the yak, it is ok, I have to modify the sabiki to fit inside the rod so as not to have any hooks exposed when stowed, but the last few times out where there is a need to make bait I have found myself leaving the sabiki rod home and just brining a fresh sabiki with me and tying it on one of the rods I am going to use that day, and truthfully, I think the latter is a better way, the sabiki rod takes up a holder, when I bring along multiple rods it is an issue, if you just use a rod you have brought along just tie the sabiki on for the bait and then put hte Hammer to it when you are done...IMO just sayin
Old 03-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
ashmoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmith View Post
I used to use a sabiki rod but prefer to carry less out there, so I just clip the sabiki rig to the ring on my ringed fly liner hooks
I like - smart! Nice!
ashmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Azbasskilla
SALTY BALLZ

What time you going out tomorrow? I'm heading out tomorrow but not sure if I'm going to LI or point loma.
Azbasskilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
ashmoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasteslikechikn54 View Post
I'm looking to get out tomorrow out of LJ and fish out there
I'm jealous of your Friday outing! have fun!
ashmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
tasteslikechikn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azbasskilla View Post
What time you going out tomorrow? I'm heading out tomorrow but not sure if I'm going to LI or point loma.
I'll be picking up the kayak around 1030am or so... And then driving straight out to LJ. Should be nice weather and the reports look pretty Good to make my first attempt. Should be on the water late, though. I'd say around 1130 or noon...