Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2017, 03:25 PM   #1
Tac.Fish0313

Going the distance via yak

So far, I’ve gained a lot of good helpful info about kayak fishing upon a few forums to include this one. But I’ve always wondered (Given the weather and water conditions obviously) how far has anyone ever kayaked off shore from La jolla or Torrey Pines beach? (and gotten good results) I’ve read where people can go as far as 6 miles out, but has anybody ever gone beyond that ? or whats a good distance to always remain in.
Tac.Fish0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:51 PM   #2
kirkdavis

There's some that go out quit a ways, but it doesn't matter about other people.
One needs to know his/her personal limits, and don't push them because you never know when the chop or the wind will picks up and make it twice as hard to get back. Also make sure you have safety stuff, pfd, vhf, gps, etc. I normally go solo, and the furthest out I have been from LJ is a big rock pile about 3-4 miles out. It always seems further coming back in. My longest trip was about 14 miles, launching at Dana Landing and ended up down by the sewage treatment plant on Point Loma. I peddled my outback for 2 1/2 hours non-stop against the wind with big chop to make it back. My legs were about shot by the time I landed. Thank God my mirage drive didn't break or I'd a been calling up the Coast Guard for a lift....really don't want to do that, you know, pride and all. Anyway, I would recommend slowly increasing your range as you build confidence in your skills and equipment.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:08 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

I go 6 miles out only when there are reported reasons to do so, prepared and never alone
Old 04-29-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
broncobilly

folks kayak to catalina all the time, that's 24+ miles. physically it's possible to kayak a long ways.
But kirkdavis brings up a lot good points...
everything from safety gear, to knowing ones limits(physically and mentally), to training are all things you need to consider. But i'd also like to point out that if you go out to blue water, looking for blue water game, be prepared to get your ass kicked. And after the fish is done, you'll still have to bring that fish aboard, paddle/peddle back to where you came from, all the while leaving a blood trail behind you. (if you don't keep the fish in the hull)

A friend and I got towed 4.5 miles out to sea, off la jolla, last year when we traded off fighting a 250+lbs thresher for 3 hours. Fish broke off just below the yaks. We were disappointed and tired from the fight, but we were done after the 2 hours of peddling the 6 miles back in to the shores. To top it off, I was followed by a small mako. The mako didn't bother me, hell i tried to catch him. But there is a risk with sharks following you. It's small, but it's still there.

you're doing the right thing by asking. get knowledge, slowly test your skills while keeping the risk low, train and build from there.

If you want to train, I'd suggest going out of SD bay and going against the current all day. That'll help get ya physically and mentally. It stinks going 2 kts over land when you know you're making 3.5 through the water.

Two is one and one is none.

Good luck.
Hope you slay 'em!
broncobilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:27 PM   #5
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

My buddy Mike and I went out about seven miles, it was foggy and we were off course by some measure, but not lost.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:01 PM   #6
Tac.Fish0313

Thanks, I'm just trying to get a general perspective of how far people go out for. It will be a long while till I get conditioned for that kind of long distance venture. I know on this forum as in other fish sites, people are catching an posting, but theirs never any details of how far out they go, but this bit of info gives me an idea of how much work people go out to bring in that table fare.
Tac.Fish0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:48 AM   #7
Sheephead

I've done 11 or 12 miles off the point hopping paddies but that's not something i'd do everyday. Or ever again, it was pure hell. Current changed and I had to paddle all out for 6hrs nonstop. I'd say it pretty common to go 2 miles west from the point when just fishing YT. From what i've noticed there's definitely zones of life and desolation. At 2-3miles there's usually more makos and what not then 5miles theres always dolphins, 6 miles sharks, 8 - 9 you'll find everything.
Sheephead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:36 AM   #8
monstahfish

Yellows you never need to go more than 2 miles from shore unless you want to paddy hop. As far as tuna, sometimes they'll be in really close, last year I got int a pod about 3 miles off carlsbad but I only went out looking after getting a report.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:01 AM   #9
taggermike

Dont want to dis our local fishing, but in most years there's really very little to catch in the area you're asking about. A few years ago there were tuna in range and landed by yakkers. I understand a wahoo was caught as well.
Im not saying you cant or shouldn't head off shore. But Let's be honest, a kayak is a poor off shore fishing craft.

I have done some long paddles, but mostly along the coast rather than straight out. The hand full of times I did head out passed 2 miles ended up being very long tiring fishless days. Still fun adventure, but not the best use of fishing time. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote