Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #1
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

GHOST ADVENTURES LJ 21DEC15

So there I was...

Woke up Monday morning, knowing that I am pretty much retired from the Navy after 20 years and that it would be a great day to hit the water with my boy Mark for his first time.

Got to the launch, very high tide and some good size waves, we looked at each other as we could see our breath in the cold air and said those two magical words..F^%k it. Got in the yaks, he paddled, I peddled like hell and we made it through. Got past the buoy, dropped sabiki..and went for an hour without a single mac..first time ever. I took that as a sign that we need to head north and drown some squid. We hit 120 feet of water and dropped them down, he had one rod, I had 2. We used this time to get caught up, being he just got back from deployment and were just laughing our asses off like two little school girls when we started to get some bites after about an hour of drifting. Once they stopped, we checked the bait, all gone except for what was on the hook..rebaited and dropped again. Mark started to get some bites, then me on one of my poles. Just as it had stopped my other pole takes off! I let whatever I had on the line take some line then clicked the drag on and felt weight but not much of a run initially. I started to bring in some line, he took a small run..I knew it wasn't a YT but was thinking something else. He really didn't fight too hard and his runs were short but not too powerful, I was holding on with just one arm unlike the two I usually use for YT's..I was still trying to figure out what it was..at this point it was just heavy. In the deepest part of my brain I was praying for a WSB as I had seen Yanni' post from Saturday and knew they were around.

As I started to haul in line, I looked down deep and saw some color...silver...did I just see a ghost?

I had been trying to land my first WSB for about a month now..I landed my home guard YT a few weeks ago which was my largest one yet, but knew from there on I only wanted to hook a WSB and if I caught a YT I would catch and release, no need to be greedy, I respect these fish too much.

Fast Forward...so started to haul in line, saw more silver..then started cranking it up..just as I started to see my leader, Mark looks over at me and says "Bro it's a F&^%king White Sea Bass!" I peeked over and my eyes got big, heart raced..grabbed the gaff, reached over and sank it home. I still had no idea how big it was and knew it was heavy but when I couldn't get it in with one arm and had to use two,,knew this was my biggest fish yet period. I started to pull him over the side and couldn't believe it, he slid in and put his head in my lap and he was still not all the way in..I looked at Mark and his jaw dropped..I looked down at the ghost and no kidding kissed his head and said thank you, and as always thanked the man above and mother ocean..then proceeded to hoot and holler.

Time on deck 0920, water temp 63, 120 feet of water.

Got on shore, tried to just load up and roll out but the skittles on the beach in their shiny helmets took notice..

Got home, measured and weighed with my scale..52 inches, and 45 lbs after gutting out in water.

I have always had respect for the ocean, the fish in it and those of us who venture out onto the open water to enjoy life and what this sport does for us both mentally and physically. As a lot of you know I just started in April and through this forum and meeting many of you I have learned a lot, so I wanted to say thank you and I appreciate it! I have made some great friends through kayak fishing and that comradery that I had in the military is alive and well in this community.

Looking forward to meeting many more of you and I'll see you out on the water!

Ryan
Attached Images

Last edited by kjsdad619; 12-22-2015 at 02:37 PM.
kjsdad619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:20 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Congrats! Great story, informative,helpful post!
Old 12-22-2015, 03:58 PM   #3
Deamon

Freaking awesome! Big congrats on the beast! Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:09 PM   #4
erinoo

nice, very nice.
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:12 PM   #5
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Awesome Bro!!!

Nice fish Ryan!!!

Way to get'r done!!

Congratulations!

Geno
Old 12-22-2015, 04:19 PM   #6
2-Stix

you have had a great year! blessings.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:38 PM   #7
Murray

I am green with envy. Way to go and enjoy one of the best tasting fish I have had. Noticed you have a nice fish finder on your yak. Did you meter fish before getting bit? Merry Christmas to you and your family and thanks for your service to our country. Blessings
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:38 PM   #8
surfisher

I saw your buddies post on instagram! Needless to say I was stoked! Congrats on the fish! Yewwww.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #9
FISH11

I love all the pictures Ryan. I really liked that on the water picture you text me shortly after catching it. I do regret not having gone out there yesterday as I had first planned. The jobs around the house could have waited, since the weather windows have been short lately. This has been an incredible year for fishing and you have had some great fortune. Next you need a trophy Hali. I hope I have your luck this coming week. Your good fortune is well earned Ryan, enjoy the feast. Mark
Old 12-22-2015, 05:18 PM   #10
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
I am green with envy. Way to go and enjoy one of the best tasting fish I have had. Noticed you have a nice fish finder on your yak. Did you meter fish before getting bit? Merry Christmas to you and your family and thanks for your service to our country. Blessings
I had the elite 7 on but we were too busy bsn lol

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2015, 06:31 PM   #11
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Did I mention...what a Slugo!!!

Old 12-22-2015, 07:00 PM   #12
tamddo714

Awesome job Ryan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:16 PM   #13
momo fish

Nice going and great write up... And this being first year for you even better...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:33 PM   #14
frugalfisher

Nice fish!

Good job with the squid bait!!
Old 12-22-2015, 08:39 PM   #15
maquinapescado

You sound like a grateful dude. Nice fish and thank you for your service. Hopefully your Navy retirement pays you out with many more WSB gifts.

~B
Old 12-23-2015, 06:06 AM   #16
flemdogg
Island Blood

Well deserved. Great job buddy.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:17 AM   #17
spicolly

Congrat's - that's a tasty toad!!!
spicolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:53 AM   #18
Phishphood

Way to go man. And love the respect you have
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:12 AM   #19
Dirty Curti

Well deserving and great respect. Hope you have many more days like this. Excellent report.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:23 AM   #20
steveooo

Awesome, congrats Could get a good feel about how stoked you are, and you should be. Thats a nice one!
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote