Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-26-2017, 07:14 AM   #1
joeasaro

Boone Dox Landing Gear

Has anyone recently installed a Boone Dox landing gear on their PA 14? If so what are your impressions and how was the install?

Thanks,

Joe
joeasaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:13 AM   #2
Baja_Traveler

Over 200 views and nobody has anything to say.
I think because I've never seen one here in So. Cal. - so very few if anybody is using it here. But tons of them are in use on the East Coast, so must be a regional thing.
Personally I like the idea - so much better than a scupper cart, which is near impossible to use on a huge PA loaded with gear. The one thing I always hate when returning to the beach is having to roll the PA on its side to get that stupid cart installed with rods, tackle boxes and assorted gear falling out.
I've been working on plans to build my own version using carbon hex tubing for my new Solo Skiff when it gets here - and make an extra cross bracket for the PA so I just swap wheels between them.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:52 AM   #3
kirkdavis

I had never seen one, but I agree that putting the scupper wheels on a Hobie is a pain. I have thought about making something myself.
One thing that sticks in my mind is that the wheels will be just one more thing for my line to get tangled in. I already have issues getting tangle in my paddle and my rudder. I guess the location right behind the drivers seat might not be too bad of a tangle magnet.
Another benefit would be more storage room behind the seat. You got me thinking now. Keep us updated if you design your own, and I will do likewise.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Boone Dox Landing gear will soon be available in So Cal. Factory is backordered and expected to ship next week. OEX has some on order for the New SOLO SKIFF owners. Available in a hard tire and Wheel Eze sand tire editions. The Boone Dox have been installed on the Solo Skiff and Hobie Pa's and work well on these boats. Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:42 AM   #5
tacmik

Like the idea behind the boone dox was wondering about it coming with wheel eze tires. glad to see they do.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
Davidinwakulla
Junior

After having to unload all my gear and turn my Jackson Cuda on its side to put a supper cart underneath, I ordered a boondocks for my new PA 14. It works fantastic. I put wheels down on my way to the landing, land the nose and roll it on my trailer. Very sturdy materials, extremely difficult install on the PA 14.
Davidinwakulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:25 PM   #7
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidinwakulla View Post
After having to unload all my gear and turn my Jackson Cuda on its side to put a supper cart underneath, I ordered a boondocks for my new PA 14. It works fantastic. I put wheels down on my way to the landing, land the nose and roll it on my trailer. Very sturdy materials, extremely difficult install on the PA 14.

Difficult yes but worth it, try installing on a Solo. Sure makes life easier.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 04-28-2017, 04:15 PM   #8
Davidinwakulla
Junior

Agreed makobob. I'm in good shape, but wheels are the only way I could manage 175lbs of kayak at some of my launch sites.

The difficult part is getting the 1"x4" backing plate from the round access hatch to where you see the 2 mounting bolts. Helps to replace the 1" bolts with 1 1/4".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170428_200313.jpg (64.3 KB, 78 views)
Old 04-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #9
kirkdavis

My Thoughts EXACTLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdavis View Post
I had never seen one, but I agree that putting the scupper wheels on a Hobie is a pain. I have thought about making something myself.
One thing that sticks in my mind is that the wheels will be just one more thing for my line to get tangled in. I already have issues getting tangle in my paddle and my rudder. I guess the location right behind the drivers seat might not be too bad of a tangle magnet.
Another benefit would be more storage room behind the seat. You got me thinking now. Keep us updated if you design your own, and I will do likewise.
I just got the sailing rudder with new turbo fins, and so far first time out did not tangle a line in the rudder, but....yeah, it's a pain. I finally cut my line with with a plastic jig because I am NOT planning to crawl to the aft of my Outback to untangle a line. later I ended up snagging the line with another rig and got my lure back. Anyway, I digress.
Maybe it won't tangle too bad being closer behind the seat, and it might be worth an occasional tangle for the ease of getting wheels under the yak. I too am thinking of making something similar. Maybe instead of rotating back 90 degrees you could rotate them 180 and have them up in the air directly behind the seat. Might be too high?
Old 04-28-2017, 05:38 PM   #10
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Don't overthing a great product, they are very well designed and more that you need for an outback, us with the Solo's might be pushing their limits, time will tell.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 04-28-2017, 06:20 PM   #11
Baja_Traveler

There is a product made by YakAttack called a Rigging Bullet that makes installing backing plates in impossible to reach places a cinch. They are cheap enough, but if you know someone with a lathe they would be easy enough to make.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:31 PM   #12
Davidinwakulla
Junior

Kirkdavis, I am with you on loathing tangles behind me in the kayak where I can't get at them, and I have only fished this rig a few times, but no snags so far. Not sure why.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:54 AM   #13
kirkdavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidinwakulla View Post
Kirkdavis, I am with you on loathing tangles behind me in the kayak where I can't get at them, and I have only fished this rig a few times, but no snags so far. Not sure why.
Thanks for the info. That is definitely encouraging.