Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #1
Carnevale24
Junior

La Jolla 4-15 Black Sea bass and yellowtail

Launched at 6am with a fairly easy surf made bait pretty quick and got to fishing hooked into the Black seabass around 8am got me stuck in kelp or on the bottom for a little put it in free spool and nothing happen no line going out nothing gave it a couple cranks and free spool again stayed patient and all of a sudden the fight was back on got it to the top and noticed it was hooked in the forehead area not the mouth don’t know how that happened but sure made it easy for a safe release got a quick video on my phone before I got him off the hook started the paddle back to where my brother and cousin were fishing about 100 yards away where I originally hooked the fish I’m showing them the video and literally as I’m doing that my brothers rod gets slammed him being a newbie and a little intimidated by the screeming reel I stayed close to help land the fish his made his way into the kelp as well he wasn’t being very patient and tried to pull in thru the kept he felt to pops and line looses pressure thinking he just lost the fish he keeps reeling and we see the tail sticking out of the water he realizes it’s still on the line and about a min later i gaff it for him best day of fishing for me. Tight lines
Attached Images

Carnevale24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:01 PM   #2
blitzburgh

What a day! Congrats
Old 04-17-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
dpricenator

NICE! Way to save the day, and bring home the POKE!

I'm guessing the pop was the line cutting thru the kelp. Then the fish swam toward him, while we was reeling in the slack. Neither him or the fish thought the hook was still set.
dpricenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:45 PM   #4
jdvarnold

Nice! I am a newbie at fishing for Yellows

Tried for the first time about 3 miles outside Newport using mackerel and a 1/8 weight with no luck. I see people catching yellows and BSB all the time. What kind of setup do you use?
jdvarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:03 PM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvarnold View Post
Tried for the first time about 3 miles outside Newport using mackerel and a 1/8 weight with no luck. I see people catching yellows and BSB all the time. What kind of setup do you use?

Well first off, you won’t typically see yellowtail this early in the season that far north. Black Sea bass are typically caught off the bottom on either a dropper loop type rig or Carolina rig. Weight is dependent on current, wind and depth. Yellowtail can also be caught on a dropper loop type rig or heavy Carolina rig. Typically fish deeper in winter through spring and as the water temps come up and stabilize in the summer and fall, you can get yellowtail almost any day you want on a flyline Mac. That is hook straight to line, no weight. I have already seen a couple schools of breezing yellowtail this winter and spring. Fish all over 30lbs. Your 1/8 sliding sinker or Carolina rig will definitely work, however if you are going that light with a mackerel, you might as well take the weight off because it won’t do much except hinder the baits ability to swim naturally.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:00 AM   #6
jlabs63

What he said...

In case you need a little more color, I would recommend fishing 65# braided line with a 6' leader of 30-40# fluorocarbon. I use a small Spro swivel to connect the two; otherwise a uni-to-uni knot is fine. I use a Owner 1/0 ringed J-hook. Slow troll a 8-12" lively greenback at ~3 knots.

As he said, in the winter and spring the yellows are deeper, so the yo-yo iron works great too. I guess color doesn't matter, but blue/white, scrambled egg and mint seem to be the most popular.
jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:04 AM   #7
jdvarnold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabs63 View Post
In case you need a little more color, I would recommend fishing 65# braided line with a 6' leader of 30-40# fluorocarbon. I use a small Spro swivel to connect the two; otherwise a uni-to-uni knot is fine. I use a Owner 1/0 ringed J-hook. Slow troll a 8-12" lively greenback at ~3 knots.

As he said, in the winter and spring the yellows are deeper, so the yo-yo iron works great too. I guess color doesn't matter, but blue/white, scrambled egg and mint seem to be the most popular.
Stupid Question coming....so you are yo-yoing right, how do you know there are fish there? Are you marking them on the FF or Yo-yoing over structure you believe their to be fish?
Old 04-18-2018, 09:05 AM   #8
jdvarnold

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Well first off, you won’t typically see yellowtail this early in the season that far north. Black Sea bass are typically caught off the bottom on either a dropper loop type rig or Carolina rig. Weight is dependent on current, wind and depth. Yellowtail can also be caught on a dropper loop type rig or heavy Carolina rig. Typically fish deeper in winter through spring and as the water temps come up and stabilize in the summer and fall, you can get yellowtail almost any day you want on a flyline Mac. That is hook straight to line, no weight. I have already seen a couple schools of breezing yellowtail this winter and spring. Fish all over 30lbs. Your 1/8 sliding sinker or Carolina rig will definitely work, however if you are going that light with a mackerel, you might as well take the weight off because it won’t do much except hinder the baits ability to swim naturally.
When using the dropper loop, what is an average size weight?
Old 04-18-2018, 10:03 AM   #9
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvarnold View Post
When using the dropper loop, what is an average size weight?

Meter a school, drop a jig. Wind like crazy. Big yt schools are pretty easy to see on a sonar if you’re comfortable using one. 6-12 oz torpedo for dropper loop, depending on conditions.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:05 PM   #10
Baja Marty

Great day! Sounds like you had a blast.
Baja Marty is offline   Reply With Quote